Author Topic: The Tides of Time: Chapter 1 - The First Wave  (Read 26951 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: The Tides of Time: Chapter 1 - The First Wave
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
Seeing his new-found companion fallen to the deck in a heap, with two scabrous kidnappers standing over him, Tarwin realizes the only way to save Gammoan was to attempt harnessing his inner evil again.  He had only just dismissed it; perhaps he could call it back and control the evil of his soul.

Recalling the damnable filth to his command seemed... uncontrolled. But not so much as the moment of terror from whence it had first sprung, only seconds ago.  Still, Tarwin fights down the acrid taste of bile as he holds out hope that this will drive off the murderous captors.

Seeing darkness once again coalesce from thin air, Tarwin warily steps back from his vile creation.

[spoiler]Casting Summon Swarm once again.  If possible, I'll place it in G6, F5, F4, and E4, leaving F6 open.  Afterward, he will 5-ft step to E6.

Concentration check to cast defensively (DC 17), and damage if that succeeds. (1d20+6=20, 1d6=2)[/spoiler]
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2009, 04:29:18 AM »
(posting early since it won't interfere with Tshern's stabilization roll :/)

Thankful that only two pursued him, Dimen realized that the two of them were somehow coordinating their attacks. Therefore he aimed his attacks at human. The awkward angle did him no favors, however and he gave ground, hoping to catch one of them off guard as they come in and give him a better angle at the human.

[spoiler]Flurry of Blows (1d20+2=9, 1d20+2=10)
I really needed a good roll here, but the dice hate me. Moving to H1 with a 5 ft step, assuming the bed is in H2. Dodge is still on the Dwarf. If the bed is in H2 then they can't both threaten me without one of them provoking as he moves to I1.
[/spoiler]
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »
[spoiler=Tshern's Stabilization]stabilize (1d100=54)
Nope. Gammoan drops to -2.[/spoiler]

As blood continues to pour from Gammoan's wounds, Bats pour out from nothing and swarm pirates, both conscious and unconscious.  The shrieks of the two armed men are cut short by the bats, and their bodies drop to the floor amidst the swarms.

Wha..?! Sir, those damned bats are b... The sailor threatening Dimen begins as a firm voice cuts him off from down the hall.

Enough! Dorek, get your men and drag your sorry ass up here!  Are you trying to destroy the inside of my ship?

Dimen clearly sees the dwarf's face turn a bright red, although whether it's due to embarrassment or anger is difficult to ascertain.  You're lucky, you li'l rat. He calls to Dimen in a lowered voice, before bellowing down the hall, Captain!  In a flash, he disappears from the doorway.  Footsteps can be heard hustling down the hall, over the sound of the bats.

Tarwin hears the dwarf say, Two more are down... before the sound of a door slamming cuts the voice off, leaving the hallway empty, save for the sounds of the bats screeching.

Combat's over. You have a minute or two of rest to do whatever you need to.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »
Dimen peeks outside the door.
[spoiler]Readied action to get-the-hell-back-inside if bats move his direction.[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
Tarwin dismisses the bat-like voracious globules of darkness and quickly kneels beside Gammoan, invoking Kord to heal his comrade.  He then looks around and grabs up whatever weapons are readily available from the fallen pirates.

[spoiler]I cast Lesser Vigor. That should stabilize Gammoan and heal him a total of 11 points over the next 11 rounds.  I'd prefer to find a simple weapon that I'm proficient with, but will wield a sword if that's all that is on the pirates.  I'll also grab one for Gammoan.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:06:52 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »
After seeing the bats vanish and the hellbred chanting soft words over the comrade, Dimen realizes that they will return soon.
"They'll be back soon. I'm going to check these rooms for options."

Dimen finds his everburning torch he dropped earlier and begins to check the rooms.

[spoiler=Rolls]Spot object with open flame. (1d20+3=17)
Search check for flammable objects; liquid(perhaps alcoholic) preferred. (1d20=5)
Yeah...I'll just take ten after the first room I search. Avoid more fail rolls. Result is "10"
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:32:12 PM by skydragonknight »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »
Gammoan's bleeding stops and his breathing stabilizes thanks to Tarwin's powers.  While the gnome awakens, Tarwin scrounges around the fallen sailors, watching their bat wounds slowly drain the life out of them. The only weapons he manages to locate are the blades they carried (short swords).
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »
Tarwin hefts the blade awkwardly, but feels a bit better to have a means of defending himself in hand.  When Gammoan sits up, Tarwin extends the oversized blade to the gnome.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2009, 03:47:23 PM »
Dimen frantically scours the quarters, looking for any flammable liquids while Tarwin tends to Gammoan.  As Dimen emerges from the quarters with two jugs of rum, the voice at the top of the stairs returns.

Stop whatever you're doing! You've cost me enough men as it is!  Come up here peacefully and there won't be any more violence!
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »
Sense Motive (1d20+3=8)

Dimen, finding no obvious falsehood in the man's word, decided to test the waters.
"You'll give your word as a man of the sea that you will let us off on dry land?"

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2009, 06:15:35 PM »
The sound of muffled chuckling carries down the stairs for a second before someone at the top of the stairs is clearly hit. A low Oooohhh... is heard before the voice responds to Dimen.

Come up here and we'll discuss where you'll be released. But I want you scum off my ship!
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
"We don't really have a choice but to trust them..." Tarwin shouts horsely across the hall.

He gives Gammoan a hand to his feet, and then slowly and cautiously he peers around the doorframe, holding the shortsword as if it were a wand, with his index finger sighting down the flat of the blade.  When he sees that it is relatively safe, he emerges from the room, but maintains the sword in his awkward ready position.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
Dimen looks to his allies and sees both agreement and caution in them. He says in a low voice. "I'm going up first. If something happens to me...make them pay for it."

Raising his voice he says. "Alright. We're coming up." and begins to ascend the stairs...

[spoiler]You beat my post, but I'm still going up first.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2009, 02:58:01 AM »
As the three prisoners ascend the stairs, they hear whispers from the sailors above suddenly drop off.  It is much brighter above deck than in the dim light below, and Dimen reaches the doorway at the top of the stairs by the time his eyes fully adjust to the brightness...

Standing less than ten feet back from the doorway are some 15 or more sailors, most of which are carrying daggers or shortswords.  All the blades are tucked safely in their belts and all their hands are empty.  Most of the sailors are human, although Dimen notices an elf in the mass, and the dwarf who he had fought with before stands just to the left of the only woman in sight.

Just over five feet tall, she stands almost a full head shorter than every man, save for the dwarf.  While all the others are clad in beige scrubs and rags, she wears a clean white blouse, green vest, and matching green breeches.  Her tricorn hat completes the outfit with matching leather boots.

She smirks at Dimen, Planning on get toasted, are ya? You can drop the rum, it won't do you much good.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2009, 03:16:27 AM »
Dimen kneels down and lays the barrel aside. They were too densely together for his idea to work. Barrel safely set aside, he draws himself to his full height and brings his golden eyes to meet the female captains. He doesn't smile, nor does he look nervous or fearful. He has already embraced the calm state of focused mind that was the first thing he learned as a disciple of the fist.

And with the same sense of calm the black-haired Kalastar begins to speak in a flat voice. "I see we are at an impasse. We cannot hope to overpower you. You cannot defeat us without further cost in men. We want off this ship just as much as you want us off. Our only stipulation is that we see land first."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:20:24 PM by skydragonknight »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »
The petite woman stares back at Dimen with cold, almost dead eyes for what seems like an hour, but is surely less than a few seconds.  Her eyes suddenly dart to the side of him, and he hears Tarwin and Gammoan reach the top of the stairs just behind him.

If your compatriots have no other issues, then we're in agreement.  You can stay confined to the store room until we reach land.  Then you will be gone from my ship.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2009, 01:49:47 AM »
"And our other belongings? Our weapons?"

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2009, 04:43:34 AM »
What about them?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2009, 11:24:02 AM »
"Will they be returned to us?" Tarwin sneers.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
Gammoan looks like he has seen some better days and tries to get his eyes focused looking around the ship and merely nods as to support Tarwin's question.

Handy Links