Author Topic: Illithid Savant Information [In Progress]  (Read 34129 times)

Foxwander

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Illithid Savant Information [In Progress]
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
Interesting. I used page 4 and 5 of the MM and Gnoll is listed under Humanoid the same way Mind Flayer is listed under Aberation. I see your point about how it's listed in the table entry.

Hmm... the way that sidebar lists everything, lumping races and subtypes together, certainly opens up room to argue that races and subtypes are effectively the same thing. Of course, it's a list of monsters by type (and subtype)- not a list of types and subtypes.  So it's certainly not a RAW basis for interpretation, but it's not that outlandish. At least it's an opening for the argument if your DM is on the fence about it.

On the other hand- the Ritual of Association does have bizarre limitations. You can gain the "gnoll" subtype of humanoid, but not the "elf" subtype. You can become a "goblinoid" but not a bugbear. What makes gnolls and bugbears so different that one is a parenthetical (subtype) and one isn't? Why is "halfling" excluded while "angel", "elemental", or even "undead" is not?

Anyway, my point (and I think I had one) is that what is and is not possible with the Ritual of Association is completely arbitrary. It seems clearly intended to give one a RACIAL association and limiting it by the poorly grouped type and subtype definitions just makes it more confusing (Not to mention specifically excluding the PHB character races). Defining it by race would be much simpler. Of course all of this is moot as it all falls under "DM interpretation" and therefore can't have much place in a rules discussion. Unfortunately, the ritual IS limited by type and subtype (with a few arbitrary exclusions) AND type and subtype are clearly (if, again, arbitrarily) defined in the rules. Mind flayers are a race, not a subtype, so RAW only the Major Rituals can let you become one.
Standing in uffish thought.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
I have a question regarding the acquire X abilities.

Specifically, did you notice you don't benefit from acquire X per Y levels of Illithid savant, but per brain? (I wish I was making this up. It's somewhat sane if you read it the conservative way, but it is easy to argue RAW is per brain.)

Now I really have to get that book out of storage.

Also, with the spells regeneration and delay death, you can eat your own brain. Because why not?

Fission
PsyRef on the other half
Eat my brain
Love the new definition of: Self Improvement 
 :D

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »
I have a question regarding the acquire X abilities.
Specifically, did you notice you don't benefit from acquire X per Y levels of Illithid savant, but per brain? (I wish I was making this up. It's somewhat sane if you read it the conservative way, but it is easy to argue RAW is per brain.)
There was a thread on this a while back. Can't remember the name. Either it focused on ilithid savant or it was very prominent in the discussion. I'll try to find the link.

ah ha. The on illithid savant thread split of from fun finds.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:17:59 PM by jojolagger »
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »
Yes. In fact we had an argument about that before (jojo beat me to linking it).

Here is the Skill entry to bide you over until you get your book.
It can be read either way I suppose, but really. If they meant you get one skill ever that should have done something like at 1st level you learn one skill from a brain you have eaten before. Not pick one skill when you eat a brain.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »

... just about posted something, and then got even more confused about that something.

{ ... If someone ate my brain they'd know which smiley face to insert now ... }

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
:psyduck ?

kremti

• Email
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2011, 12:21:53 PM »
Did you just eat his brain?

Halinn

• Email
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »
Did you just eat his brain?
... maybe?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »

{ ... insert I usually know which to use, but was being topical smiley face ... }

You know ; a lot more complicated than the run of the mill smileys.

:pout :fu  :D

:twitch