Author Topic: Illithid Savant Information [In Progress]  (Read 33983 times)

killercoffee

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Illithid Savant Information [In Progress]
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »
Hmm. I always thought it did (Hence, the famed ogre magi Pale Master). What the heck is a FAG anyways (in context, please).

Also, I don't think you can take continued ability progress in that way. That would be like taking +1 spellcasting level; its not really a class feature.

That Chronotyrym ability is amazing though.

@Emy: I'll add that to the handbook.

Edit: I just looked at the Chronotyrym ability again, and it apparently hinges on the creature having two brains and two voice boxes. This makes it unsuitable for Acquire Special Ability via RAW, because it requires physical attributes. It sort of makes sense though (like a permanent schism, which sort of fits along the lines of having a ton of other people's thoughts mashed up in your head).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:57:02 PM by killercoffee »

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 12:48:13 AM »
Class Abilities:
Uncanny Trickster / Legacy Champion: Continued ability progress from one other class, gives you infinite ECL as Illithid Savant, meaning that you get all abilities of all creatures whose brains you've devoured.
Acquire SkillLoreHmn That Blink Dog was exceptionally delicious... I wonder what I can do now that I can side in-between the folds of space?**Acquire Class Features
Edit: I just looked at the Chronotyrym ability again, and it apparently hinges on the creature having two brains and two voice boxes. This makes it unsuitable for Acquire Special Ability via RAW, because it requires physical attributes...
Well... Really it's only the two Voice box problem. You clearly have two brains, more in fact.  :D

~Boots
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:26:16 PM by Zombieboots »
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 03:54:43 AM »
Just noticed a creature from Unapproachable East, the Nilshai. It has a "Fearsome Celerity" ability which in 3.0 terms was an extra partial action each round. Is that a standard action in 3.5? They also have an inherent Mind Blank which is pretty tasty.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
Just noticed a creature from Unapproachable East, the Nilshai. It has a "Fearsome Celerity" ability which in 3.0 terms was an extra partial action each round. Is that a standard action in 3.5? They also have an inherent Mind Blank which is pretty tasty.

Sounds like the choker's quickness (su). I'm not sure how the partial action translates into 3.5 though. If I had a 3.0 Monster Manual I'd check the mhoker entry to compare the abilities.

(Or just eat a choker, instead.)

edit:
"Partial action" is a "move action" now a days.

Yep. Definitely eat a choker.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:05:59 AM by Emy »

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 11:31:11 PM »
"Partial action" is a "move action" now a days.
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

killercoffee

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
@Zombieboots:

Acquire Skill: Minor nit-pick, it is worth mentioning that this ability does allow you to obtain skill ranks higher then you would normally be allowed.

I'm almost certain this is not the case unless I missed an errata or something.

Quote from: Savage Species

Meaning that you could stack, for example, Diplomacy, giving yourself a total of...a lot...of skill ranks in it by level 20 (Easily 100+ using Emy's build).

Quote from: Zombieboots

That sort of synergy hadn't occurred to me.

Quote from: Zombieboots
Acquire Class Features:

<Stuff>

The thing to remember is that you gain the class abilities at the level at which the owner of the brain had them. So, if you eat the brain of a 20th level binder and take his Soulbinding, you get 20th level soulbinding, no matter what your level is.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
Acquire Skill - is one of the very few ways to go Over the normal skill rank maximum.

example - you are 14th level, eat a brain with 25 Ranks in skill X, you get all the ranks.

EDIT - got the crosspost warning ...

I suppose an argument needs to be had, about whether the Skill Ranks eaten would OVERLAP or STACK.
Clearly bypassing the normal cap is doable.
" ... gains all of the creature's ranks ... "

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »
Seems to me that they're intended to stack, seeing as how you get all the other class features several times, and one ability/class feature gained doesn't overlap the other.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
Legacy Champion - can extend the class advancement into the Epic progression.

Thrallherd 1 - can do the Thrallherd Sacrifice shuffle , getting a new brain to eat everyday.
Easy way to guarantee getting the exact race you want , and/or class you want.

Early entry is complicated.
Warforged
Makes an Intelligent item as cheaply as possible, with the 10 ranks in the skill it needs.
Fusion - into fused warforged + item
PAO - into new (warforged + item) construct
then
PAO - into the squiggly thingies from CPsi , that are specifically described as Illithid young.
PAO - 2nd time to cement it.
The spellcasting is expensive, as is the item, for low level characters. And it has mega weakness to Dispels.
Intelligence of the squiggly sucks real brains bad.
Caster stats in general are awful.
But hey, it is rediculous.

10 Ranks of a skill happens at level 7.
Illithid something can happen sooner.
Favored feat sucks + "that feat from cityscape" = get in one level early

killercoffee

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »
The savant has an epic progression already.

I'm trying to figure out your...method of early entry. Are you talking about the Larval Flayer? The only thing is I don't think that would work by RAW cuz it isn't actually a Mind Flayer.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
Assuming you can use the PAO trick to become an Illithid at lower levels (so you can get into Illithid Savant at 8), the Ritual of Unlearning from SS is crazy. It allows you to become a creature of X ECL once you reach that ECL on your own.

What you are supposed to do is start the ritual at level 1 and level up normally, paying as you go until you reach the ECL of the creature you want to become. Then you trade in all the class levels you've earned since starting the ritual (you keep whatever levels you had when you started) and become a 1st-level whatever. What you actually do is level normally until you reach the ECL of the creature you want to turn into (15 in this case) and then start the ritual. Since you keep whatever class levels you had when you started the ritual, you are now a Mind flayer with 15 class levels that is ECL 15. So, go X 7/Illithid Savant 8, using PAO to get into Illithid Savant initially. Once you hit ECL 15, you do the Ritual of Unlearning, become a Mind flayer, and then continue leveling normally. In the end, you'll be a Mind flayer X 7/Illithid Savant 10/Y 3 that is ECL 20 (and yes, you have 28 HD. Don't ask me how they thought this crap was supposed to be balanced).

Now, the main downside to this is that it is expensive. To turn into a Mind flayer would cost 256,000gp. Still, this is hands-down the best way to have your cake and eat it too.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 03:18:35 PM »
shouldn't this be in the handbook thingy?

Also, aquire class feature to get martial maneuvers could be awesome...

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:25 AM »
I'll weigh in and say they overlap rather than stack...
Legacy Champion - can extend the class advancement into the Epic progression.
Whoa wait... can we verify this? I don't remember that class doing anything like this.
Assuming you can use the PAO trick to become an Illithid at lower levels (so you can get into Illithid Savant at 8), the Ritual of Unlearning from SS is crazy
Close.  ;) I had an idea for a build along these lines since... wow over a year now. Damn I wish I had more time on my hands. I'll point this thread to the build when I finish (this thread reminded me).
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
The various Illithid entries include:
Tadpole stage of Illithid, is the crawl in the ear, and eat the brain stage. Specifically called an Illithid young.
Larval stage is the briny pool eating brain chum like a shark stage. Specifically called an Illithid young.

Another way, would be a Tauric base race lower half, Larval Flayer upper half, for an LA of +1

Legacy Champion PrC and Uncanny Trickster PrC advance class features.
You take a Lurk or a Divine Mind (both CPsi) and they have nothing, and I mean nothing ,  else to advance their class features.
Soulknife gets about the same treatment, but 2 or 3 PrCs advance it's stuff.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »
I looked but couldn't find much info on it; I thought Legacy Champion could not advance a PrC into its epic form (and so not be useful for illithid Savant) or am I barking at the moon?

Im done with that build but I'm waiting on the LC question, since epic illithid Savant is too good to ignore.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »
I think i might have stumbled upon a way to play an illithid savant without actually being an illithid, or spending massive amounts of gold on rituals or POA that is vulnerable to dispels.

I will try and do this in stages, and if i am wrong or makes a mistake in one of the steps, hopefully someone else can help find another solution.

Step 1: Play as a changeling.

The changeling has the "Minor Change Shape" ability. This uses the restriction from the disguise self spell, but the changes are physical and real. This wont give me any abilities from the race i turn into, other than i look like the race, and get +10 to disguise.

The only restrictions in disguise self is size and general shape. So you will be able to look like templated forms, so long as you stick with a size and general shape that is humanoid and medium.

Step 2: Use "Minor Change Shape" to take on the appearance of an [Incarnate Construct] [Effigy] Mind Flayer.

You are now disguised as a medium humanoid.

Step 3: Pick the "Racial Emulation" feat from RoE, and you now count as the race your disguised as, so long as it is a humanoid race.

Is there any RAW flaws in this?
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
Thank you for the thread necro, so I can post my IS questions here.

1) Are there any circumstances under which an IS would lose the abilities it acquired from snacking on grey matter?

2) When an IS eats a brain with a use/day class feature, how many uses of that class feature does it gain?  One, or the amount the brain had?
2a) When an IS eats two brains which have the same class feature (and chooses said feature), do the two features stack? 

An example: say your IS is 7th level so it can yoink 2 class features off of a single brain.  It eats two 10th-level Dweomerkeeper brains, and chooses (of course) supernatural spell and cloak of mysteries from both.  How many uses per day of supernatural spell does it get?  How many levels are its metamagic feats reduced by?

3) When an IS eats a spellcaster's brain, does it have to choose "spellcasting" as a class feature to acquire spells, or by RAW does it get those in addition to the class features it chooses?

4) If an epic IS eats Zeus's brain (for example) with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti, what does it get?  What SA's and SQ's are up for grabs?  In most deity write-ups, "salient divine abilities" is a single entry under "special attacks"...
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
1) Are there any circumstances under which an IS would lose the abilities it acquired from snacking on grey matter?
Loss of Extraordinary Abilities, the Acquire line of abilities is Ex based.

2) When an IS eats a brain with a use/day class feature, how many uses of that class feature does it gain?  One, or the amount the brain had?
I'd go with generic as possible. Example, the IS gains SA as a 5th level Rogue, not Bob's total SA with is derived from 5 levels in Rogue, 3 in Dread Commando, 10 in Assassin, etc. Same can be said for uses. Like acquiring the brain of a Paladin 5/Fist of Razial 10 would either give you 5th level Paladin Smite (2/day) or 10th level FoR Smite (5/day, stacks with other smite).

2a) When an IS eats two brains which have the same class feature (and chooses said feature), do the two features stack?
Sage ruled no, actually as a habit Sage rules everything to obey the stacking rules of spells. Kinda makes sense to default to those rules too since they would answer the normally impossible question of "what if I have two 1st levels in Rogue".

3) When an IS eats a spellcaster's brain, does it have to choose "spellcasting" as a class feature to acquire spells, or by RAW does it get those in addition to the class features it chooses?
No. Acquire class Feature explicitly calls out if they are a spellcaster you may obtain X, you don't get to ignore it and obtain spells anyway. It's like ignoring SA doesn't work on creatures immune to Critical Hits and saying you can SA Undead anyway.

4) If an epic IS eats Zeus's brain (for example) with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti, what does it get?  What SA's and SQ's are up for grabs?  In most deity write-ups, "salient divine abilities" is a single entry under "special attacks"...
Even if you could obtain a Salient Divine Ability from eating a brain, Feats & PrCs are lost if you fail to meet the prerequisites. It would make sense SDAs are lost if you lack Divine Ranks too. So go eat a dragon's brain (see draco) and read on up SDA rules to see just how well they are tied to your Divine Ranks (ie at rank 1 can you have 10 SDAs?)

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »
Loss of Extraordinary Abilities, the Acquire line of abilities is Ex based.

So, no then.  I can't think of any circumstance that would cause loss of an Ex ability.

I'd go with generic as possible. Example, the IS gains SA as a 5th level Rogue, not Bob's total SA with is derived from 5 levels in Rogue, 3 in Dread Commando, 10 in Assassin, etc. Same can be said for uses. Like acquiring the brain of a Paladin 5/Fist of Razial 10 would either give you 5th level Paladin Smite (2/day) or 10th level FoR Smite (5/day, stacks with other smite).

Makes sense.

Sage ruled no, actually as a habit Sage rules everything to obey the stacking rules of spells. Kinda makes sense to default to those rules too since they would answer the normally impossible question of "what if I have two 1st levels in Rogue".

So there's no gain whatsoever in eating two brains and picking the same class features from each?

Also, this is contradicted by the spellcasting rule because you can gain more spells by eating more spellcaster brains, but I recognize that that is probably a specific exception.

No. Acquire class Feature explicitly calls out if they are a spellcaster you may obtain X, you don't get to ignore it and obtain spells anyway. It's like ignoring SA doesn't work on creatures immune to Critical Hits and saying you can SA Undead anyway.

I probably agree with you in effect, but the reason I bring up the question is not exactly addressed by your example.  Undead traits include being immune to critical hits and precision damage.  However, here's the text for Acquire Class Feature (emphasis mine):

Acquire Class Feature (Ex): At 3rd level, an illithid
savant permanently gains one class feature of a consumed
brain's owner, as a character of that creature's level in that
class. If the former character was a spellcaster, the illithid
savant is able to cast one spell of each level available to the
character
(if the victim was a wizard, the mind flayer must
still consult a spellbook or learn from scrolls), as well as any
bonus spells provideded by the illithid savant's ability
scores. If the illithid savant already has spellcasting levels,
these spells are in addition to those granted by the illithid
savant's spellcasting class levels.

What it probably should have said is "if the former character was a spellcaster and illithid savant chooses the 'spellcasting' class feature as the target of this ability, the illithid savant is able to blah blah blah."  However, it doesn't say that, all it says is essentially "if you eat a spellcaster's brain, you get spell slots".

Even if you could obtain a Salient Divine Ability from eating a brain, Feats & PrCs are lost if you fail to meet the prerequisites. It would make sense SDAs are lost if you lack Divine Ranks too. So go eat a dragon's brain (see draco) and read on up SDA rules to see just how well they are tied to your Divine Ranks (ie at rank 1 can you have 10 SDAs?)

Hmm... agreed.  Prereq for having any SDA's is having divine rank >0.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
What it probably should have said is "if the former character was a spellcaster and illithid savant chooses the 'spellcasting' class feature as the target of this ability, the illithid savant is able to blah blah blah."  However, it doesn't say that, all it says is essentially "if you eat a spellcaster's brain, you get spell slots".
You know that is something I have overlooked.

Basically you *can't* obtain Class Features from classes with spellcasting, you only gain their spell slots instead. While Ex/Su/Sp based Class Features are still up for grabs, the untyped ones are not. Like Summon Familiar & Domains. I wonder if that was intentional given the Cleric/Druid spontaneous subs would be dropped as well.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]