Author Topic: Races Handbook  (Read 36608 times)

HCL

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:27:59 PM by HCL »

HCL

• Email
Re: Races Handbook
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:13:02 PM by HCL »

HCL

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »
Reserved

HCL

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »
Reserved

HCL

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »
Reserved

HCL

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:48:59 PM »
Reserved

HCL

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »
Reserved

HCL

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »
Reserved

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:06:24 PM »
Half Dragon is only LA+3.  Small nitpick.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

HCL

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:00:48 AM »
Half Dragon is only LA+3.  Small nitpick.

Thanks, I totally just realized I forgot about the Fey and Giant types (though they aren't really that important, what I said about Monstrous Humanoids pretty much applies to them too.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 04:33:31 AM »
Note that "Beast" isn't a type anymore. Now it's Magical Beast or Animal. Also, the Savage Species Anthropomorphic Animals aren't Magical Beasts. There are some sentient constructs, so I'd rephrase the "true constructs are mindless" line. Otherwise, looking good so far, keep up the good work.

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 05:35:57 AM »
I would have to question the validity of your rankings.  While the "tier system" for classes is regarded as valid (most disputes are which class belongs where) the same cannot be said for races.  If they truly function like templates like you say, then rating them on +/- basis, taking into account what the targeted base class is, would make more sense. 

"This race promotes spellcasting hence is higher ranked" is needlessly trying to tie in class ranking as opposed to ranking races on their own merits.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »
Nope. Past the extra skill points, they get a bonus to escape artist, can hold their breath for longer (not, apparently, breathe underwater), treat nets and tridents as simple weapons, and need to immerse themselves in water at least once a week or start taking Con damage. So pretty much, they suck.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

HCL

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »
I would have to question the validity of your rankings.  While the "tier system" for classes is regarded as valid (most disputes are which class belongs where) the same cannot be said for races.  If they truly function like templates like you say, then rating them on +/- basis, taking into account what the targeted base class is, would make more sense. 

"This race promotes spellcasting hence is higher ranked" is needlessly trying to tie in class ranking as opposed to ranking races on their own merits.

The Tier system for classes is already pretty much assuming you are playing the optimal race for the class, Wizards are Strongheart Halflings, Sorcerers are Draconic Gnomes or Dragonwrought Kobolds, Barbarians are human or Goliath. Prestige classes also assume a particular entry, like Sandshaper is +1 when you are a Sorcerer or Dread Necromancer, etc. I am not making assumptions about what you are already playing, I am just saying that over the course of the game these races tend to perform in such and such a way.

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
Will this include oddballs like Steel Dragon wyrmling (4 HD/2 LA dragon with alternate form, spell resistance and casting at wyrmling) or only 0 hd races?

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
Consider linking these resources:
Master Player Race List (LA +0): http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_20
Player Race List with LA +1 and LA +2: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4886

HCL

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »
Will this include oddballs like Steel Dragon wyrmling (4 HD/2 LA dragon with alternate form, spell resistance and casting at wyrmling) or only 0 hd races?

If anyone seriously wants to rate Gnolls and Wyrmlings and whatever monster they can think of, they can do that and I will put it in the handbook with them cited. Otherwise I am just going to concentrate on 0 HD races.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
Good luck with this one HCL.

Azurans (Human) from Magic of Incarnum, and the Goofy-Footed Halflings from wherever (i'm punting on the name),
get the Bonus Feat at first level like Humans do.
At level 10, this is an extra level 10 feat. At level 15 this is an extra level 15 feat ... effectively.
Most other races don't have scaling abilities, that work this well.

Early entry races, like Illumian Dual Spellcasters,
are worth an entire level of a PrC , and early.
Perhaps these are the most powerful races, in terms of keeping up the Spell Levels.
And since that's where the real action is ...

I've linked Obeah's Races thread over here, a couple of times. TO-ish stuff.
Cru did a Races thread recently ... and he posted (oops).
Senevri did Symbiotic template.
Tauric is silly, but fun.

HCL

• Email
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 05:38:14 PM »
Good luck with this one HCL.

Azurans (Human) from Magic of Incarnum, and the Goofy-Footed Halflings from wherever (i'm punting on the name),
get the Bonus Feat at first level like Humans do.
At level 10, this is an extra level 10 feat. At level 15 this is an extra level 15 feat ... effectively.
Most other races don't have scaling abilities, that work this well.

Early entry races, like Illumian Dual Spellcasters,
are worth an entire level of a PrC , and early.
Perhaps these are the most powerful races, in terms of keeping up the Spell Levels.
And since that's where the real action is ...

I've linked Obeah's Races thread over here, a couple of times. TO-ish stuff.
Cru did a Races thread recently ... and he posted (oops).
Senevri did Symbiotic template.
Tauric is silly, but fun.

Yeah I was thinking about promoting Illumians to tier 1 because of early entry to dual advancing prestige classes, but I thought that because that was generally a more specialized role so they belonged in tier 2.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »
They also have other great uses, like making Gish builds really easy, and having a mini-DMM of their own.