Author Topic: Optimization: Control Body?  (Read 3356 times)

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Optimization: Control Body?
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:29:23 PM »
Can a character be built around the use of the power Control body using all 3.5 WotC sources, that uses the power for both its defense and offense? This does not prelude the use of other powers, or even spells, but Control body should be the focus of the build. 32 point buy for creation with suggestions for 54 point buy, la-buy off is allowed. I realize that the characters will not have access to control body at early levels, and so, all builds should expect to come into play at 10th level.

Thanks to all who attempt this :D

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:31:31 PM by geniussavant »
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Optimization: Control Body?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:58:48 PM »
You can't really base a character around it. It's only one power. Solicit the concentration to your psicrystal. Remember to just pump your Int and you can dump Dex fairly safely. Just watch that Ref save. Use this thread to find ways to gain Int to more modifiers. Faerie Mysteries Init being the strongest, replacing Con with Int for HP. A monk level and Kung Fu Genius will grant you Int to AC again. Maybe even Talasharota(fuck spelling im not even going to try) to advance other Monk features. Someone gaining a Thunder Lance through items would make you even crazier. For the record, don't bother with Swashbuckler. It's not worth it.

Monk 1/Psion 19 (lets be easy)
All the feats listed above. No Thunder Lance.
Int to AC twice.
Int to HP
Int to attack and damage.
20th level Monk features.

Control Body lets you dump Str and Dex. Faerie Mysteries Init lets you dump Con. And no one cares about Wis or Cha. If you want to waste some feats for novelty take Keen Intellect and Insightful Reflexes to truly dump Dex and Wis.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 12:18:55 AM »
I recognize most of what you gave, but what's thunder lance? By based on control body, I meant that the character used the power as its go-to power once in combat.
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »
You can only use it once in combat. Then you have to fight. It's a buff spell.

Thunder Lance is from SpC. It's a spell that summons a weapon which uses CL as BAB and casting stat as STR.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:27:40 AM »
Couldn't the power be used to take control of anything humanoid in shape? as long as it fails its save? Any way to boost that save DC?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:30:08 AM by geniussavant »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 12:30:16 AM »
Control body's seeming original purpose is to control others' bodies.  People got wise to the buff aspect.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
If possible, I would like this character to use both respects of the power.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:40:54 AM »
Couldn't the power be used to take control of anything humanoid in shape? as long as it fails its save? Any way to boost that save DC?
Thats still somewhat inferior to using it on yourself, passing it to your psicrystal, since you're reliably equipped and still manifesting away. Using it to control someone else tends to give you unreliable equipment, except on enemies who are likely to make the save.

Psionics has more effective ways to mind control enemies.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 12:46:05 AM »
Would you mind elaborating on psionic's mind control besides thrallherd, dominate and charm? Originally I wanted to see just what the best control body could do, but I love the idea of you are mine to control.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 01:22:25 AM »
Oh. I didn't even consider offensively using it. While your Psicrystal concentrates you can still take a full round mental action. Manifest Schism then spam Control Body on everyone around you.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:07 AM »
Psionics has more effective ways to mind control enemies.
Control Body is the definitive anti-spellcaster power because it's not mind control, so all the typical defenses against mind control fail to stop it.  One manifesting of Control Body vs. the relatively weak Fort saves of the Wizard means that the Wizard can suddenly not use any spells with Somatic components at all.  Probably not even verbal ones.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 05:32:08 AM »
Can you make the wizard close his eyes?  If so, there go targeted spells. 

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
Would you mind elaborating on psionic's mind control besides thrallherd, dominate and charm? Originally I wanted to see just what the best control body could do, but I love the idea of you are mine to control.
What else needs elaborating?  Read the powers and the augments, and there ya go.

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
The only thing that u can't do, according to the text, is make the speak or perform non physical actions. Hell with a liberal DM you could force their heart to stop, so closing eyes is a go, unless someone sees something that contradicts this.

@jameswilliamogle: which powers, beside those I listed, and which augments?
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Become a dragonborn. Repeatedly.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
Can u perform that ritual multiple times? I doubt any DM would allow it, unless it specifically says that you can.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
The only thing that u can't do, according to the text, is make the speak or perform non physical actions. Hell with a liberal DM you could force their heart to stop, so closing eyes is a go, unless someone sees something that contradicts this.

@jameswilliamogle: which powers, beside those I listed, and which augments?
CHARM AND DOMINATE

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/charmPsionic.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dominatePsionic.htm

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »

Thunder Lance is from SpC. It's a spell that summons a weapon which uses CL as BAB and casting stat as STR.

Reading the Thunder Lance spell description, I don't see where it uses your caster level for BAB.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »

Reading the Thunder Lance spell description, I don't see where it uses your caster level for BAB.
I remembered it wrong then.

strider24seven

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »
If you use Control Body on yourself and Solicit your Psi-crystal, are you considered to be denied your DEX bonus to AC for the purposes of sneak attack/sudden strike? 
I quote this line:  "The subject gains no benefit to Armor Class from its Dexterity, but it does gain a bonus to its AC equal to your Intelligence bonus."