Author Topic: Psionic Mindflayer Gestalt Assistance  (Read 2315 times)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Psionic Mindflayer Gestalt Assistance
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
I'm getting into a new PbP game and need some optimization assistance.  It is ECL 15 gestalt, but one side of the gestalt MUST be Mindflayer.  We are all playing mindflayers whose collective has been recently destroyed due to a planar rift, our Main Brain has been destroyed, we have to try and survive on our own, etc.

Basically ANY source is acceptable (even some homebrew if it is sane).  But as for me personally, I do not have access to any Dragon.  The DM is actively encouraging optimization, however all Tier 1 classes are banned.

We are using the psionic mindflayer from the XPH, and this is where I could use the greatest amount of assistance.  But we do not have to stick to the Telepathic discipline, we can go whatever discipline we choose.  I've dabbled in psionics, but haven't used them too much.

My current idea is:  Mindflayer 15 || Binder 10 / KotSS 5 with the patron vestige being Zceryll.  Focus on summoning mainly.

Stats are 28 point buy.  The rest of the party hasn't been chosen yet, but I'm pretty sure there will be some kind of Egoist / Slayer combo that will take care of combat.  And there is a Beguiler application that seems solid and will likely be filling the roll of sneak / trapmonkey.

So my main questions:

1) Which psionic discipline would synergize best?  I was thinking perhaps Psychometabolism to buff the summons.

2) Which powers would be best to help this guy contribute in and out of combat?

3) Feat Selection - Practiced Manifester seems like an obvious choice, and I'll need Improved Binding to make it into KotSS with Zceryll at this level.  But that leaves at least 5 more feats (or 7 with flaws).  Suggestions?

4) Besides Zceryll, what would be a good vestige to keep bound?  I was thinking Chupoclops for some combat ability (via Metamorphasis) if needed.

5) Is Augment Summoning a waste?  If there a psionic version that would work for both summoned critters and astral constructs (if I went the shaper route)?

6) Anything else glaringly obviously that I'm missing?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Psionic Mindflayer Gestalt Assistance
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »
There is a REALLY cool prestige class in Dragon 313. I know that's not what you're looking for what here me out. It's a psionics/arcane double profession. You can spend pp to augment spells and vice versa. And there is a feat which lets you spend pp to apply astral construct traits to things summoned by Summon Monster. The class is called Mind Mage. I guess you can just take that feat, seems to fit perfectly. But the class is really cool too! EDIT: The class is broken as fuck. On second thought I suggest not playing it.  But the feat is perfect!

I'm such a nice guy. Source is Dragon 313 page 49.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:15:46 PM by bearsarebrown »

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »
Heh, yeah that feat is pure awesome for this guy.  Thanks!

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »
There is a REALLY cool prestige class in Dragon 313. I know that's not what you're looking for what here me out. It's a psionics/arcane double profession. You can spend pp to augment spells and vice versa. And there is a feat which lets you spend pp to apply astral construct traits to things summoned by Summon Monster. The class is called Mind Mage. I guess you can just take that feat, seems to fit perfectly. But the class is really cool too! EDIT: The class is broken as fuck. On second thought I suggest not playing it.  But the feat is perfect!

I'm such a nice guy. Source is Dragon 313 page 49.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mind Mage is indeed broken, and some of the class mechanics are meant for use with 3.0 psionics...

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »
@Class mechanics designed for 3.0e
The is only one or two references that are completely ignorable. The class works perfectly fine for 3.5e
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:06:30 PM by bearsarebrown »

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
@Class mechanics designed for 3.0e
The is only one or two references that are completely ignorable. The class works perfectly fine for 3.5e

Right, Magical Reinforcement references Heighten Power, which doesn't exist in 3.5e psionics.
Things like that need to be corrected by the DM, not a big deal, just a warning.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:41:21 PM »
I have always liked mind flayers with thrallherd, fresh food shows up within 24 hours  :lol
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure the DM has said no to Thrallherd at the moment.  Because of the current state of things (i.e. utter chaos and destruction), there aren't any viable thralls to be had.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »
So besides that awesome feat, any other suggestions?  I'd still like some help with power selection.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
Well ... carnivore brought "Mind Mage" over into his 3.5 Psion guide,
and non-updated 3.0 material was supposed to just transfer.
This is somewhat illogical, because clearly the Mind Mage has all sorts of psi 3.0 weirdness going on.

Mindflayer 15 is kinda weak sauce.
The little mindflayer baby suckers in CPsi, are better.
Not because they appear better at all, but because they're just a few hd.
Stick more class levels on them.
You might protest that they have no LA number.
That's OK because a racial progression for mind flayers exists in Sav Species.
Mix and Match.

Then that nifty Illithid PrC is mandatory.
Just a matter of getting there efficiently, and how many clamps the DM wants to put on it.
Most custom of classes. Most brain eating of classes.
Thrallherd is a good idea, at this point.
You can't go wrong with that combo ...  :twitch

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
Op quote
5) Is Augment Summoning a waste?  If there a psionic version that would work for both summoned critters and astral constructs (if I went the shaper route)?

Psi summoning is strictly inferior to Magic summoning.
Almost nothing crosses over, especially short of 15.
Don't do it.
Save the psi stuff for Metamorphic Transfer feat on the Aberration side of things.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 04:41:56 AM »
The Mind Mage is indeed cool, but is probably out since it is a dual progression class in gestalt (unless you can get homebrew approval).  It is a shame that you said thrallherd is out for the most part as well.

Any reason no one is interested in Illithaid savant?  Of course my usual favorite ability to eat is the Legacy Champion's (Weapon of Legacy PrC) ability to advance a class by x levels.  Great fun when you eat a class ability that advances you savant class levels further so you can eat again.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
I think we all just kind of have a gentleman's agreement not to use Illithid Savant.  Because otherwise what's the point?