Author Topic: Scribing spells into spell books.  (Read 7267 times)

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Scribing spells into spell books.
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »
I am looking for ways to hasten the process of scribing spells (not creating magic scrolls) into a spell book.  As it is it looks to take 1 casting of read magic to read the spell, 24 hours of study of that spell, then 24 hours to scribe that copy of the spell.  So it takes 48 hours to copy one spell from one book to another. 

I am wanting to find ways to hasten this process.  Thus far I am aware of two options:

1 Using the "Secret Page" spell to make another spell the obvious page
2 Mastery of a spell book option from Comp Arcane.

Ideally I would like a way to still copy the spells myself (so that I can use a blessed book and not have to lug around a library).  This could be hastened by feats, or items etc.  They do need to be WoTC material, though would want to hear ANYthing that someone made and I can try to get it approved.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Scribing spells into spell books.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:19:42 PM »
I believe the time studying and casting read magic are exclusive (that is, you only need to do one or the other).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
spend a day studying the spell
Space in the Spellbook: A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has one hundred pages.
Materials and Costs: Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Based on that it would seem to be two separate time "costs".

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
A read magic spell automatically deciphers a magical writing without a skill check. If the person who created the magical writing is on hand to help the reader, success is also automatic.

Planetouched Handbook

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »
A read magic spell automatically deciphers a magical writing without a skill check. If the person who created the magical writing is on hand to help the reader, success is also automatic.

Quote from: westb3
first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Next, she must spend a day studying the spell.

There is the Quill of Scribing in Complete Mage, which automatically scribes scrolls for you. Could always petition the DM to let it scribe spells into spellbooks as well.

There's also the Quill of Rapid Scrivening in the DMG II, which shortens the actual scribing process to 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:32:41 PM by Emo_Duck »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:33:30 PM »
Riiiight.  I was confusing it with the rules for copying a spellbook, which takes 12 hours/spell and 50 gp/page.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
Yeah, copying spells from one spellbook to another is generally not a worthwhile thing to do.  Just deal with the Spellcraft checks to prepare the spell from a foreign spellbook (it's really not that difficult to make, even without optimization) until you get a week of downtime to master the new spellbook outright and carry it with you.  You're going to have to start expanding your collection of spellbooks by level 5ish anyway.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:29:51 PM »
Yeah, copying spells from one spellbook to another is generally not a worthwhile thing to do.  Just deal with the Spellcraft checks to prepare the spell from a foreign spellbook (it's really not that difficult to make, even without optimization) until you get a week of downtime to master the new spellbook outright and carry it with you.  You're going to have to start expanding your collection of spellbooks by level 5ish anyway.
Can't actually prepare a spell from a foreign spellbook that isn't in yours.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
Can't actually prepare a spell from a foreign spellbook that isn't in yours.
You can.  4th item on this table:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm

Just "borrow" the spellbooks of your defeated enemies.  ;)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
Wizard Spells and Borrowed Spellbooks

A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook
Planetouched Handbook

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 10:55:17 PM »
Sorta,

From PHB
A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook, but preparation success is not assured.

So technically it requires you to already "know it" (whatever that means given that a Wizard knows Read Magic and that is ALL) and recorded.  So if you have recorded it before you can use this other copy, but not if you find a spell in a book that you have not ever copied (which makes no sense)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »
Sorta,

From PHB
A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook, but preparation success is not assured.

So technically it requires you to already "know it" (whatever that means given that a Wizard knows Read Magic and that is ALL) and recorded.  So if you have recorded it before you can use this other copy, but not if you find a spell in a book that you have not ever copied (which makes no sense)
Where in the PHB is it?  Unless it's under the Spellcraft description I'd say it's a situation where specific (Spellcraft skill) overrides general (Wizard class).  If it IS under the Spellcraft description... then that's just weird.  Why would you read someone else's spellbook when you have your own?

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#wizardSpellsandBorrowedSpellbooks

It seems a very obvious case of RAW:RAI.

Moreover this basically means that looted spellbooks should basically be worthless, the only way to make them useful to you is to decompile it, study it, recompile it into your version of the language with scribing it.  You can't ever use a spell from a book that you didn't already have access to.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:21:13 PM by westb3 »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 11:23:59 PM »
Ok, that's just weird... Given that, how do the rules for mastering spellbooks in CArc work?  Does it make the spellbook "your" spellbook, so you can just prepare them normally?

If that's the case, then just wait until you get the required week of downtime and do that.  If your spell picks from levels are any good, then there shouldn't be a problem with that.

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 11:51:12 PM »
The issue with that is the DC for the spell book mastery is really high, such that I would have to have a 20 to get it, and that takes waywayway too long to do (assuming you could take a 20 on this use)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
Ok, that's just weird... Given that, how do the rules for mastering spellbooks in CArc work?  Does it make the spellbook "your" spellbook, so you can just prepare them normally?

If that's the case, then just wait until you get the required week of downtime and do that.  If your spell picks from levels are any good, then there shouldn't be a problem with that.
It takes one week plus one day per spell, and is DC 25 + spell level. 
Which is going to be a pain to take 10 on at lower levels.

And remember that wizard spellbooks contain all cantrips, so you've got a time of upwards of 50 days.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »
The issue with that is the DC for the spell book mastery is really high, such that I would have to have a 20 to get it, and that takes waywayway too long to do (assuming you could take a 20 on this use)
What level are you?  28 for a book with 3rd-level spells should be doable at level 5...

+8 ranks +2 Synergy +4-5 Int.  Another bonus of 3 or 4 and you can take 10.  Shape Soulmeld [Mage's Spectacles] can do that, Skill Focus (Spellcraft) is a pre-requisite for some solid PrCs, Craft Wonderous Item can open up the option to craft a +5 competence item and/or a Headband of Intellect +2, and if re-training is allowed then you can even pick up some utterly terrible feats for this exclusive purpose until you have the slots needed to make use of metamagic.

Also, I was wrong about the time, it's 1 week plus an extra day per spell, so it will only save time if you're looking to learn at least 7 spells (or 10 if you live in Faerun), and then it will take a minimum of 2 weeks.

It takes one week plus one day per spell, and is DC 25 + spell level. 
Which is going to be a pain to take 10 on at lower levels.

And remember that wizard spellbooks contain all cantrips, so you've got a time of upwards of 50 days.
Tear out the pages with either cantrips on them or spells you already know and cast Mending on the book itself to replace them with blank pages.  Fixes that problem real easy.

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
The issue is this is all getting done for a Chameleon and we have 7 days of downtime at the moment.  He is also the skill monkey for EVERYTHING which ontop of the Chameleon itself means that his skills are spread beyond thin.  Spellcraft is only at 4 Ranks with +3 from IntMod.  The books in question also all contain level 6+ spells.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:45 AM »
Oh, a chameleon?  That's a little different.  I think each day they can just count any spell they please as one that they know.  So you have to make the spellcraft check to prepare until you master it, but you don't need to copy it over.
Planetouched Handbook

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:39 AM »
That is not explicit at all, the way the SRD reads it would be that ANY prepared arcane caster (that uses a spellbook) still has to have the individual spell recorded in their own version.  I *do* have ALL arcane class spell lists which means that basically everything is ON some list that I can then access it by, as well as getting them at lowest level possible, I still have to worry about it being in my version of the language.  This means I still have to worry about actually getting copies

At this point the DM is using what seems to be the RAI of you can use any copy of the spell with the normal spellcraft DC, not just ones you have copied).  So now it is not so much of an issue I can buy spellbook copies of spells loose leaf to put into any spellbook then just make a Spellcraft roll I can't fail.