Author Topic: I finally get to play my outrider! build help?  (Read 1904 times)

heymejack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I finally get to play my outrider! build help?
« on: November 08, 2010, 04:04:15 PM »
I get to play, and I want to make my mounted halfling with a bow, eventually moving into the lance, as well. I've got the basics of the build down, knowledge devotion for a good multi-damage buff, quick draw for switching between the bow and the lance, conveniently picked up right when I actually start using the lance.

He's a strongheart halfling, I'm starting at level 6, he'll have a pack of riding dogs with him until level 9 when his paladin effective levels add up to 6, at which point he'll be switching to a medium sized dinosaur.

1 Paladin of Freedom (Point Blank Shot, Education)
2 PF
3 Ranger (precise shot)
4 Ranger (rapid shot)
5 Fighter (Mounted Combat)
6 Halfling Outrider (Mounted Archery)
7 Wild Plains Outrider
8 HO
9 WPO (Knowledge Devotion)
10 HO
11 HO
12 Fighter (Ride-by Attack, Quick Draw)
13 HO
14 HO
15 HO (Spirited Charge)
16 HO
17 HO
18 HO

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? anything I can rearrange, do differently, or anything like that? better yet, does anyone have a good idea for those last 2 levels?  edit* I guess I should specify, I'm not interested in the uber-mount stuff, and my DM isn't allowing my HO levels to stack both ranger and paladin. just paladin.  so the beastmaster thing isn't necessary.  If anything, I want levels of something that improves the archery, the lance charges, or the survival/hide/move silent side of things. 

I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:06:39 PM by heymejack »

heymejack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: I finally get to play my outrider! build help?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »
lame

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 05:41:43 AM »
What books and material are allowed? Where are HO and WPO from?

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:08:17 AM »
yea more info on what exactly you want is needed.... it looks like you have the build already made out pretty much.

my one piece of advice is ditch the pack of riding dogs.. at level 6+ they will go down pretty quick. unless your worried about your dm taking down your dog all the time.  :devil  maybe just level in paladin first instead of ranger? does your dm allow flaws?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »
A paladin/ranger/HO build with no Devoted Tracker?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:35 AM »
For an insane mount, go Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1 into Halfling Outrider. Then use the Devoted Tracker feat (as Caelic suggested) to boost your beasty to high heaven (HO advances special mount AND animal companion, and devoted tracker makes them one critter).

The build is feat starved, but you can trade your paladin spells for a bonus feat using an Alternative Class Feature in Complete Champion. Strongheart Halfling is also advised.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

heymejack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
laughing man: halfling outrider is from complete adventurer, wild plains outrider is from complete warrior.  or maybe vice versa.  anything from wizards is allowed. 

caelic: i only have 4 total levels of ranger and paladin, and my DM isn't going to let me stack animal companion and paladin mount levels with Halfling outrider, which is says in the OP. 

dna: i thought that having your build outline was part of what you're supposed to do when asking build advice.  i don't want more than 2 levels of paladin, so i just have to wait until level 6 to take halfling outrider, and level 9 to have enough combined levels for raptor to count as a paladin mount.  HOWEVER, the halfling outrider text says my community gives me a mount when i take my first HO level, so I'll have a raptor at the start, he just won't get any paladin benefits till level 9. 

skydragonknight: i am strongheart halfling, it says that in the OP.  and i've only got 2 levels of paladin (also in the OP), so trading spells for feats doesn't really make any sense.  and i don't want to do the insane mount thing, which i said in the OP. 

with the exception of dna, you all seem to have read about 20 percent of the words in the OP, chosen at random.  good job folks. 

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »
with the exception of dna, you all seem to have read about 20 percent of the words in the OP, chosen at random.  good job folks. 

huh, right..

Are you using point buy system? Anyway, you are going to suffer from MAD, good str, dex, con. Int has to be 12-14 in order for you gain enough skill points for the knowledge skills. You'll need good cha for handle animal and wis for paladin spellcasting.

In order for you to reap the benefits from the knowledge devotion, assign the skill points to: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Nature, Religion and The planes. This is because you want to hit those creatures types. Otherwise you'll need handle animal and ride skills for the mount + some prereq skills as well.

If you check the Education feat from the PGtF then you'll notice that halfling cannot take it. So the build is not legal. But you can get around it..

You can either ask your DM to houserule this or you can take a regional background: Church Acolyte from Champions of Valor p.21-23. It does not cost you anything. The benefit is that you can now take the Education feat + some bonus languages. Are you even playing in the realms?

By taking strongheart halfling you get 1 feat. Then you gain 3 feats from levels. You'll need track, Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery to fullfill prerequisites. Education is for the knowledge devotion. So basically you could progress as paladin until 5th level and meet the prereqs for the HO and WPO prcs. You can also cast one 1st level paladin spell if you have wis at least 12 and gain the coveted special mount.

Note that the prcs only let you progress the paladins special mount. So you don't get it at level 9. Also the WPO prereq states that you need either animal companion or special mount which neither of you have. Unless of course your DM house rules this to be ok. One thing to remember is that HO and WPO competence bonuses to ride do not stack.

If your DM allows flaws always take two as dna1 also suggested. Take point blank shot and precise shot. If not then you either have to postpone taking HO or WPO until you reach 5th paladin level.

My suggestion loosely following your build:

Freedom Outrider
1 Strongheart Halfling Paladin of Freedom (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Track, Education) (regional background: Church Acolyte)
2 PF
3 PF (Mounted Combat)
4 PF
5 PF [special mount]
6 WPO (Mounted Archery)
7 WPO
8 WPO
9 HO (Knowledge Devotion)
10 HO
11 HO
12 HO (Ride-by Attack)
13 HO
14 HO
15 HO (Spirited Charge)
16 HO
17 HO
18 HO (Reckless Charge, Miniatures Handbook)
19 PF
20 PF

Cramming in fighter or ranger levels nets you feats at the cost of your mount progression. Multiclassing penalty might hit you there.

You should assign your ability scores and halfling racial adjustments. Then calculate how many skill points you have per each level and assign them so that prereqs are fulfilled. You might notice that knowledge devotion is hungry for your precious points. So you may need to concentrate on only a few knowledge skills.

The last advice is that keep your build simple but optimize well.  :D

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »
I'd do at least Ranger 4 before Halfling Outrider so that the class has something to advance. You can trade spells for a feat that way too which would negate the need for the Fighter level.

Unless there's houserules I'm not aware of, Halfling outrider cannot advance a class feature you don't have...

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »
caelic: i only have 4 total levels of ranger and paladin, and my DM isn't going to let me stack animal companion and paladin mount levels with Halfling outrider, which is says in the OP. 

I'm sorry; you didn't get what I was asking.  I should've phrased it more clearly.  My bad.

I wasn't suggesting Supermount; I was asking why, GIVEN that Devoted Tracker isn't a part of your build, you're going with the Paladin/Ranger/HO mix.  I'm trying to understand whether you're firmly married to that particular mix of classes, or simply going with ranger levels for the archery abilities.

Knowing that will make it a lot easier to make suggestions.  If you have some really firm reason for wanting a few levels of Paladin and a few of Ranger, then it wouldn't be productive to say "Scrap paladin and ranger and take X and Y instead."

Clearer now?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
...yeah, I'll leave this one to Caelic. Always a pleasure to watch him work since he's good at spotting the heart of the matter.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
Here's the thing:  I have a HO build that has a lot of the same look-and-feel as yours, but it was set up for an Eberron game.  Mechanically, it's quite different.  (It incorporates Lion Barbarian and pouncing charges, and relies on a boomerang as the ranged weapon.)

There might be some useful ideas in it, but if you want to keep to the basic structure you have, I'm not sure it's worth either of our time for me to dig it out and post it.