Author Topic: What is the point of Spell Resistance (SR)?  (Read 23417 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: What is the point of Spell Resistance (SR)?
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »

Grease is a party barf ...  :puke

Anyways, I think the consensus at this point is that the purpose of Spell Resistance is to delude the gullible into thinking casters are not living gods.

So ... S.R. explains why Monks rock ??

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »

Grease is a party barf ...  :puke

Anyways, I think the consensus at this point is that the purpose of Spell Resistance is to delude the gullible into thinking casters are not living gods.

So ... S.R. explains why Monks rock ??

yes

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
Hi Welcome
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2010, 12:02:13 AM »
Nope. Shutting down SR is even easier than shutting down Fighters, and it comes up more often at that. Not all of the methods use resources or actions.
Such as? If you're referring to picking spells that ignore SR (e.g. Orb of X), then chances are you've picked a spell specifically for overcoming SR rather than some other option, thus expending resources.

Bzzt! Most of the best spells ignore SR as a matter of course.
Like what? And are they the best spells at least in part because they ignore SR, or is that just an added bonus? If the former, then my point stands.

Grease, silent image, glitterdust, web, sleet storm, stinking cloud, black tentacles, solid fog, telekinesis, wall of stone. That covers spell levels 1st - 5th, lets you target every save (including save: none), cover damage, debuff, and battlefield control, and all of them are Core. Those are spells that appear on practically every wizard's spell list because they rock your face.

Oh, and they're all SR: no (telekinesis doesn't allow SR when you throw lava at people).

A wizard can load up on awesome own-your-face spells and never roll against SR ever. And just to prove it, here's a spellbook for a 10th-level Core wizard that is totally playable. Enlarge person, feather fall, grease, mage armor, silent image, glitterdust, web, mirror image, see invisibility, haste, fly, sleet storm, stinking cloud, black tentacles, greater invisibility, polymorph, shrink item, solid fog, telekinesis, teleport, wall of stone. Not a single SR: yes spell that isn't a buff. You have an additional 1st-level spell for every point of intelligence modifier you possess, but I left those empty. This is literally the bare minimum you could possibly have if you started with an Int of 11 and never learned any spells beyond your free ones.

Oh, and you only draw from 5 schools of magic: abjuration, conjuration, divination, illusion, and transmutation. So you can be a Red Wizard (I recommend conjurer) without losing a thing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:21:54 AM by Echoes »
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »
Here's my fix for SR, not that many in this subforum give a shit about houserules but w/e

Antimagic (Ex):
BAB 1+: +2 Resistance bonus to all saves and AC against magic
BAB 6+: +5 Resistance bonus to all saves and AC against magic
BAB 11+: +10 Resistance bonus to all saves and AC against magic
BAB 16+: constant Antimagic Field effect with a range of Self (can be suppressed)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2010, 12:52:30 AM »
God fucking damnit.

Hey you. Fucking fucker. Do you, or do you not cast this spell on non arcane spellcasters? Why or why not? And why don't you, even though it's also Int 1 and will do so regardless of the amount of Int the enemy actually has? Don't say 'it has a save' - your chances are about the same feebleminding a brute as they are getting 4 rays to all hit and produce average or better results, assuming that the feeblemind isn't more accurate (it likely is). Feeblemind is also lower level, and does not require two feats.

The answer of course is you don't, because that line of thought is retarded.

Shivering Touch on the other hand works well on anything big. Some of these are stupid brutes that don't deserve their CR. Others very much do. Dragons, for example. And there's fewer defenses against melee touch than ranged touch. Not to mention 3d6 means a lot more than 1d4 in CEF.

Actually, Sunic, a question about this.

Wouldn't a Feeblemind coupled with a quickened Ray of Stupid shut the big dumb fools down instantly?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2010, 09:49:43 AM »
God fucking damnit.

Hey you. Fucking fucker. Do you, or do you not cast this spell on non arcane spellcasters? Why or why not? And why don't you, even though it's also Int 1 and will do so regardless of the amount of Int the enemy actually has? Don't say 'it has a save' - your chances are about the same feebleminding a brute as they are getting 4 rays to all hit and produce average or better results, assuming that the feeblemind isn't more accurate (it likely is). Feeblemind is also lower level, and does not require two feats.

The answer of course is you don't, because that line of thought is retarded.

Shivering Touch on the other hand works well on anything big. Some of these are stupid brutes that don't deserve their CR. Others very much do. Dragons, for example. And there's fewer defenses against melee touch than ranged touch. Not to mention 3d6 means a lot more than 1d4 in CEF.

Actually, Sunic, a question about this.

Wouldn't a Feeblemind coupled with a quickened Ray of Stupid shut the big dumb fools down instantly?

Missed this.

Yes it would. But that's a 5th and then a 6th level spell, the former of which requires a Will save. Against a big dumb fool. Except he's not actually taken out until round 2.

...Do I even need to explain why this isn't efficient?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

IlPazzo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
Here's my fix for SR, not that many in this subforum give a shit about houserules but w/e

Antimagic (Ex):
BAB 1+: +2 Resistance bonus to all saves and AC against magic
BAB 6+: +5 Resistance bonus to all saves and AC against magic
BAB 11+: +10 Resistance bonus to all saves and AC against magic
BAB 16+: constant Antimagic Field effect with a range of Self (can be suppressed)

16+ is easily available to any gish. I suggest making that at least 17+
Still, that wouldn't protect the poor melee guy from, i.e., summons and area effects with duration: instantaneous centered outside the antimagic field. At least, he would be protected from most save or die, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:59:04 PM by IlPazzo »