Author Topic: Magic Item Selection  (Read 2077 times)

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Magic Item Selection
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
Just looking for a bit of advice for a friend's character.  He's playing an eventual semi-optimized Warblade/Eternal Blade Snow Elf.  Our DM allows us to submit a short list of magic item requests.  2-3 minor, 2-3 moderate, 2-3 major.  He will distribute the items over the course of the campaign.  I'm looking for recommendations for best magic item choices for the 3 categories, other than +X to Str items.

Recommendations I've gotten so far: 

Steadfast Boots
Anklet of Translocation
Healing Belt
Belt of Battle

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: Magic Item Selection
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
look for things that make him more Self reliant ....

Good Defensive Items: Armor, things that give Miss chance(Cover or Concealment(Invisibility or Blur Effects), self healing(Regeneration or Fast Healing), saving throw boosters, Evasion

Good Offensive items: Weapons, Accuracy boosting items, Damage boosting items, itemst that Boost special Attacks(Trip, Disarm, Bullrush,etc...)

Movement related: boost to Speed, Teleport effects, Flight, etc..

Detection/stealth related: boost Spot, Listen, Search, Hide, Move Silent checks, See Invisible, Truesight, blindsight, Nondetection,etc...

:D

strider24seven

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
If you can stack items via rules from the MIC, then a Belt of Magnificence is really good for upping all of your stats.

If you have decent UMD, then Boots of Temporal Acceleration are godly.

Ring of Anticipation for always going first.

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »
How about a big nasty 2-hander?  What magic weapon qualities would be best?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
for an Elf Warblade/Eternal Blade ... try this:

use an Elven Courtblade(RotW p165) 2Hand, 1d10(18-20 / x2)  P or S, 150 gp, 6 lbs  Finesseable, Shared Focus (Greatsword)

add: Dwarvencraft Quality(RoS p159)Improvement on Masterwork quality
+2 Hardness
+10 hp
+2 on all saving throws made by the item
+600 gp

material: StarmetalKeen is nice for this ... then add Crit related things

:D

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »
Dwarvencrafted Elvencourtblade :twitch  isn't that an oxymoron? (add Kaort*i for critical silliness)

I suggest you look into the survival pouch, remember be prepared ( and dirt chip to boot...~1300 gp)
As far as weapon abilties go I am partial to Collision (EPH and SRD) wich gives a flat +5 damage increase, normally not that hot (specially considering it's a +2 equivalency) but it is multiplied on crits, so it is nice to put in on a high crit range weapon.

(I would love to use a keen collision Kaorti manyfanged dagger... but so far I have not found a DM that will let me have one...:sight: once day)

*any weapon made out of kaorti has a x4 crit multiplier BTW

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 03:53:11 AM »
Hmm, armor with the Soulfire Enchantment from Book of exalted deeds.  Immunity to Death effects and energy drain is always good.  Throw in a lifedrink axe in what ever weapon type you want from the DMG.

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »
Nice.  Thanks guys.  So after some discussion with him the weapon of choice is going to be a Keen Elven Courtblade of Collision +X.  Apparently the DM is going to be tough about rare materials, so we're going enchantments only.

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
Dwarvencrafted Elvencourtblade Twitch  isn't that an oxymoron?

It was crafted by a dwarf who was raised by elves and thus knows how to make their court blades as well.

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
Dwarvencrafted Elvencourtblade Twitch  isn't that an oxymoron?

It was crafted by a dwarf who was raised by elves and thus knows how to make their court blades as well.

As awesome as that sounds, it won't work with the RP in this particular campaign.  Thanks for the idea though!

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »
here are some more usefull weapon enhancements:

DeflectingMagebane(CArc p143)(+1 Bonus)req:Any Weapon
Against any creature that casts Arcane spells or has Arcane spell-like abilities, the weapon gains an extra +2 attack bonus & does an extra +2d6 damage.

Disarming

Integral

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 06:45:33 PM »

Magebane(CArc p143)(+1 Bonus)req:Any Weapon
Against any creature that casts Arcane spells or has Arcane spell-like abilities, the weapon gains an extra +2 attack bonus & does an extra +2d6 damage.

Should be noted that while still a decent enchant, MIC nerfed this enchantment pretty hard  :(