Author Topic: Gestalt Interpretations  (Read 4258 times)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Gestalt Interpretations
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 12:40:18 AM »
I go for the best overall save progression, regardless of "sides" (a term not used in the description of gestalt.)

Example:
A Rogue 3//Fighter 2/Ranger 1, in my interpretation, would have a base reflex of +5, as a Rogue 2/Ranger 1.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Rooster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I have played a good deal of gestalt. My group is pretty liberal with the gestalt rules (such as allowing Mystic Theurge-like classes and dual prestige classing), but:

*I use fractional saves, BAB, and class feature progression (a rogue gains 1/2 die of sneak attack per level).
*I don't allow templates anymore.
*Savage progressions for monstrous creatures (and templates when I allowed them), which take up one side.
*I allow double progression classes (like Mystic Theurge) and double prestige classing. (A quadruple caster is seriously less powerful than Wizard 20|Factotum 8/Warblade 12 and Font of Inspiration forever)

shaikujin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:51 AM »
Doh, I thought I was the first one that thought of doing this.

Gestalt is one case where fractional BAB/saves can be sub-optimal. Esp since you can progress each side so that they cover the other side's weakness.

Consider PRCs like the prestige Paladin that improves spell casting every 2 levels. Basically, for the dead levels, if you plug in another class with full casting, you don't lose any caster levels at all. Eg

1) X / Cleric 1
2) X / PRC Paladin1
3) X / Cleric 2
4) Cleric 3 / PRC Paladin2
5) X / Cleric 4
6) X / PRC Paladin3
7) X / Cleric 5
8) Cleric 6 / PRC Paladin4
9) X / Cleric 7

You know and can cast spells exactly like a level 9 cleric.

Now, instead of the PRC Paladin that gains a spell level every 2 levels, consider the wizard that gains 1 BAB every 2 level, who uses a fighter level to shore up the dead BAB levels. It's not that much different.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:42 AM »
I go for the best overall save progression, regardless of "sides" (a term not used in the description of gestalt.)

Example:
A Rogue 3//Fighter 2/Ranger 1, in my interpretation, would have a base reflex of +5, as a Rogue 2/Ranger 1.

Same here.

[spoiler][/spoiler]