Author Topic: Can Pun-Pun Ever Exist?  (Read 5971 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Can Pun-Pun Ever Exist?
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »
Ok, really dumb thought experiment here, inspired by the "How powerful can you build a Wizard?" thread on the TO board.

Pun-Pun achieving absolute power is obviously a threat to the entire multiverse, and everyone in it. Therefore, Pun-Pun will start to show up on COP castings by Wizards at some point. So, here are 4 questions that I'd like to put to the board:

1) At what point on his path to ascension will Pun-Pun begin to register as a threat?

2) What is the minimum time required for Pun-Pun to achieve absolute power?

3) What is the minimum amount of time required for a Wizard to detect Pun-Pun, and eliminate him, if he is detectable before achieving said power.

4) Based on the answers to the above questions, and assuming Wizards cast COP at random times, what number of Wizards would need to exist in the multiverse before Pun-Pun could no longer exist?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Can Pun-Pun Ever Exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
Well, what is "absolute power"?  I imagine immediately after Pun Pun gets Manipulate Form, he'll probably want to become immune to the stunning effect it causes, to eliminate downtime.  After that, what order do you start picking stuff up?  If he picks up Mind Blank as a SLA next, he might be pretty hard to detect, which means if he doesn't register as a threat until he has MF, there's only a small window when he'd even show up.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Ok, really dumb thought experiment here, inspired by the "How powerful can you build a Wizard?" thread on the TO board.

Pun-Pun achieving absolute power is obviously a threat to the entire multiverse, and everyone in it. Therefore, Pun-Pun will start to show up on COP castings by Wizards at some point. So, here are 4 questions that I'd like to put to the board:

1) At what point on his path to ascension will Pun-Pun begin to register as a threat?

2) What is the minimum time required for Pun-Pun to achieve absolute power?

3) What is the minimum amount of time required for a Wizard to detect Pun-Pun, and eliminate him, if he is detectable before achieving said power.

4) Based on the answers to the above questions, and assuming Wizards cast COP at random times, what number of Wizards would need to exist in the multiverse before Pun-Pun could no longer exist?

1)At all times.  He is outside the normal continuity of time.

2)A matter of rounds, but as 1) states, once he ascends, he is no longer constrained by lineage/parentage or time.

3)Instantly pre-ascension, but since he always existed the moment he exists, it gets...dicey.

4)Just one, assuming a recharge outside the time stream.

Addendum : Any high level caster is capable of eliminating all Sarruks in existence, as well as all kobolds, but it would take massive revision of reality to do so while also eliminating the memory attached.  If someone so much as even remembers Manipulate Form exists, Pun-pun is always possible.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:13:13 PM »
Heh, epic memory wipe is so awesome for eliminating Forgotten Realms deities :D

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
Heh, epic memory wipe is so awesome for eliminating Forgotten Realms deities :D

Actually I really disliked that trilogy....

[spoiler]They killed every drow deity except for Lolth for the sake of Simplifcation.....[/spoiler]

Damn you 4th editiom.....

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
To answer the title question:   no.

y'all are coming at this all wrong -- it's not a matter stopping Pun-Pun before he happens ... it's a matter of the entire concept being simply and completely incoherent.

Allow me to explain  :teach

You see, the sarrukh, as they appear in Serpent Kingdoms, can only exist as childrens' myths -- in the Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago.  Whoever it was that recorded those stats clearly did not fully understand the entire nature of such a creature.  Why is that?  Well, because such a creature with god-like intelligence, almost super-human wisdom, and the manipulate form ability would never be content with such a mundane and mortal form.  The sarrukh, as a race, would have long ago used their manipulate form ability to collectively use pun-pun tactics one themselves, thus provoking the gods to sequester them away to rule the Far Realms .... either that or Shekinester would have them well under wraps, in which case not only would she have stepped-in to prevent them from that kind of ascension (as she would know such things) but she would have also removed them from any contact with the mortal world.

In all actuality, unbeknown to the recording archeologists who observed the sarrukh, the sarrukh are actually demi-gods themselves -- they are the acting arm of Shekinester herself .... thus placing them above any attempt of some silly kobold trying to steal their powers.
Poo-poo on Pazuzu.

And there you have it ..... Pun-Pun can not and does not exist. :pout

:D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:28:53 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
To answer the title question:   no.

y'all are coming at this all wrong -- it's not a matter stopping Pun-Pun before he happens ... it's a matter of the entire concept being simply and completely incoherent.

Allow me to explain  :teach

You see, the sarrukh, as they appear in Serpent Kingdoms, can only exist as childrens' myths -- in the Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago.  Whoever it was that recorded those stats clearly did not fully understand the entire nature of such a creature.  Why is that?  Well, because such a creature with god-like intelligence, almost super-human wisdom, and the manipulate form ability would never be content with such a mundane and mortal form.  The sarrukh, as a race, would have long ago used their manipulate form ability to collectively use pun-pun tactics one themselves, thus provoking the gods to sequester them away to rule the Far Realms .... either that or Shekinester would have them well under wraps, in which case not only would she have stepped-in to prevent them from that kind of ascension (as she would know such things) but she would have also removed them from any contact with the mortal world.

In all actuality, unbeknown to the recording archeologists who observed the sarrukh, the sarrukh are actually demi-gods themselves -- they are the acting arm of Shekinester herself .... thus placing them above any attempt of some silly kobold trying to steal their powers.
Poo-poo on Pazuzu.

And there you have it ..... Pun-Pun can not and does not exist. :pout

:D
If D&D-land was consistent, shadows would have wiped out all sentient races in the Stone Age.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »
That and the fact that Sarruks are immune to the Manipulate Form ability, so they couldn't use it on themselves.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
That and the fact that Sarruks are immune to the Manipulate Form ability, so they couldn't use it on themselves.
Just grant something the special quality "Undyingly Loyal to Me (Ex)" then give them Manipulate Form. Unless they're too paranoid for that...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
Just grant something the special quality "Undyingly Loyal to Me (Ex)" then give them Manipulate Form. Unless they're too paranoid for that...
Who knows how they might choose to interpret loyalty? Oh god, I can't trust anyone except my familiar, Binky.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
Who knows how they might choose to interpret loyalty? Oh god, I can't trust anyone except my familiar, Binky.

Construct security blanket!  Meh...I like my Gingerbread Man :P
 :lmao
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 08:34:26 PM »
How long is something compelled to serve you with Gate? Cause I'd just Gate in a Fiendish Kobold or something, grant it Manipulate Form and order it to grant me Manipulate Form without the stipulation that Sarrukhs are immune, then use Manipulate Form to take Manipulate Form away from the Kobold before the duration expires.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »
#3 eliminate him, is (unfortunately) the easiest to answer.
You need to be T_G's Monty or psly4mne's Terminator, and use ALL time, but be able to ... and then it peters out.
Basically, the pre-ascended pun pun is killable.
Hence, Tsuyo's Shaedling. It's born. It ascends. Khan didn't like that.

#2 How long?
How many actions does it take to get to the Far Realms, after that it doesn't matter.
Tsuyo's Shaedling (if you accept his interpretation of it) takes one action to get to infinity,
and doesn't really need to go to the Far Realms.

#1 pun pun was assumed to be of no threat what-so-ever.
Only with the Sarrukh working overtime in a no time environment, does pun pun ascend.
You'd have to be able to pierce an individual plane within the Far Realms, after finding it.
You'd have to have infinite actions ahead of time.
So you're back to Monty of Terminator.

That said ... I've a few ideas  :smirk

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »
You need to be T_G's Monty or psly4mne's Terminator, and use ALL time, but be able to ... and then it peters out.

#2 How long?
How many actions does it take to get to the Far Realms, after that it doesn't matter.
Tsuyo's Shaedling (if you accept his interpretation of it) takes one action to get to infinity,

Only with the Sarrukh working overtime in a no time environment, does pun pun ascend.
You'd have to be able to pierce an individual plane within the Far Realms, after finding it.

That said ... I've a few ideas  :smirk
Except Post-Ascension Pun-Pun can already be using the same tricks to protect Pre-Ascension Pun-Pun and Post-Ascension Pun-Pun is automatically as strong or stronger than anything in existence by the very nature of its abilities. That's why attempting to kill Pun-Pun is a ridiculous proposition. To kill him you have to remove his ability (post ascension) to easily stop you from stopping him from ascending.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:29:20 PM by Bastian »

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 10:35:01 PM »
Why doesn't Pun-Pun just leave to a different game setting? (say from Generic/Faerun to Eberron)

IIRC somewhere it says they are marginally connected, and if the time tricks don't cross from the Far Plane to the Material then I doubt it can cross to a different Material Plane.  If Pun-Pun's intention isn't to remain on his home plane then the Terminator has no reason to stop him since he leaves the moment he achieves unlimited power and if he mindrapes himself into believing his only purpose is to leave the plane and then do whatever he wants he wouldn't show up as a threat to anyone on his home plane that could stop him.  Maybe. Possibly. I won't work as hard at this as others I'll say that now.
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 11:32:17 PM »

#2 How long?

Except Post-Ascension Pun-Pun can already be using the same tricks to protect Pre-Ascension Pun-Pun and Post-Ascension Pun-Pun is automatically as strong or stronger than anything in existence by the very nature of its abilities. That's why attempting to kill Pun-Pun is a ridiculous proposition. To kill him you have to remove his ability (post ascension) to easily stop you from stopping him from ascending.

The problem with this argument is it presupposes Pun-Pun will always get to ascend. That is, nothing can stop Pun-Pun from ascending, because it's presupposed he always did. What I'm arguing is, in any game universe where there are a sufficient number of high level Wizards, the formulation of a 'I want to become Pun-Pun' thought is bound to trigger alarms on everyone's COP castings, all at the same time. This means that, in any high magic universe where Pun-Pun may start his existence, he probably won't survive long enough past the formulation of the thought to actually ascend. That is, assuming the Wizards can locate him and kill him in less rounds than it takes him to start getting immunities.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 01:15:49 AM »
oops -- I missed that part.

still doesn't disprove that last part of my thesis.
(yes, I know I'm being silly; but that's how I've decided to handle things at the table if anyone decides to get stupid)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 02:34:23 AM »

#2 How long?

The problem with this argument is it presupposes Pun-Pun will always get to ascend. That is, nothing can stop Pun-Pun from ascending, because it's presupposed he always did. What I'm arguing is, in any game universe where there are a sufficient number of high level Wizards, the formulation of a 'I want to become Pun-Pun' thought is bound to trigger alarms on everyone's COP castings, all at the same time. This means that, in any high magic universe where Pun-Pun may start his existence, he probably won't survive long enough past the formulation of the thought to actually ascend. That is, assuming the Wizards can locate him and kill him in less rounds than it takes him to start getting immunities.

Yes, but that presupposes that anyone else has time to get to a high level before someone gets the bright idea to ascend.

Which is why the basis is what level is sufficient to pull the trick.  If it's easier to pull off then counter, then it'll go off.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 07:42:15 AM »

#2 How long?

Yes, but that presupposes that anyone else has time to get to a high level before someone gets the bright idea to ascend.

Which is why the basis is what level is sufficient to pull the trick.  If it's easier to pull off then counter, then it'll go off.

Yes, I agree with that in theory. Assuming both Pun-Pun and every Wizard in the world start at level 1, then Pun-Pun clearly wins.

What I'm saying is, Pun-Pun doesn't exist in a vacuum. He's plonked into a world that already exists and (to the best of our knowledge), hasn't yet had another Pun-Pun. That is to say, the test in this hypothetical isn't Pun-Pun at level 1 versus a Wizard at level 1, it's just Pun-Pun dropped into the middle of the Forgotten Realms, for example, at the appropriate point in the Forgotten Realms timeline. Can Pun-Pun realistically succeed in his mission? This shouldn't be a question of DM fiat either. Rather, it's just a question of whether a 1st level Kobold, in the FR, Eberron, or similar multiverses, can become Pun-Pun before any one of the Wizards in that multiverse notices something is causing his COP casting to go crazy.

This is different to developing a build designed to take out Pun-Pun. It's also obviously not arguing that Pun-Pun will be taken out by DM fiat. Instead, what it's asking is, given the intelligence of high level Wizards and the versatility of COP, can Pun-Pun exist in any high-fantasy setting where high level Wizards are common and behave rationally?

Again, this isn't bagging Pun-Pun (as horrific as the little turd may be). It's just questioning whether he can survive as a 1st level character in a campaign setting where high level Wizards are common.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 08:04:31 AM »
Well, you're also assuming that none of the high level wizards are trying to amass infinite power for themselves (surely the first person to get CoP would ask).  There's also the PC vs NPC dichotomy, since PC actions have access to a source of entropy that NPCs don't. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.