Author Topic: Metamagic and You: A Thesis  (Read 176119 times)

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Metamagic and You: A Thesis
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »
The Dark Scholar prestige class from "The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde" has a "Book Mastery" ability that it gets at each level save 2nd and 7th which is very similar to Loremaster secrets. One of them reads as follows:

Quote from: The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde
Bool of the Skilled Tongue: Knowledge(history) 14 ranks;
cast spells two or more levels lower than your maximum spell level with out verbal components.

The first level of the Prestige class doesn't advance spellcasting, but other than that Silent on all of your spells except your highest two levels might be worth a dip.

That is an interesting class, looks like it belongs in the immortality handbook as well.  The last ability is age 1 year for every 2.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
Discussion about quicken spell moved here.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
Yes, another of its neat abilities is the ability to use divine scrolls (available at level 15 iirc).
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the Thaumaturge?  I tried to find it on the Wiki and turned up nothing.

EDIT : Another build for you, especially for blasters!

Wizard 5/Metaphysical Spellshaper 3/Seeker of the Lost Wizard Traditions 7/War Mage 5

What it gets :
-4 free metamagic feats (or 3 and an ACF)
-Free metamagic application from MPSS
-One level reduction to all spells cast with metamagic from MPSS
-Spontaneous casting of all metamagic spells
-No caps on spells based on levels (hello 40 dice Hail of Stone)
-+3 damage/die
-Cha to AC to yourself and 2 allies
-Free Widen and Enlarge when outside (hello Acorn of Far Travel)
-Ability to affect things multiple times by playing pinball with spells
-Free crafting XP and GP by harvesting monster parts
-Unlimited use of scrolls for spell prep without destroying the scroll or other writing
-Autofilling of area spells in cramped spaces
-Can even make portals!  This dude can transport armies with a single teleport!
-Stoneskin as a capstone that grants DR Unlimited/Adamantine
   -Gets it's own header...this means with Greater Ironguard, you are immune to weapons.  Period.  Let that
    Frenzied Berserker smash your head all he wants, it won't do a bit of good.

All in all, extremely versatile, no banned schools, can easily pull off eternal spells ready with a Persistent Unfettered Heroism and Chaotic Spell Recall combo-ed with Chaos Aligned Casting.  Oh, and crafting won't cost you a dime in gold or xp if you kill the right things.  Kinda makes you a bit of a Mengele of Monsters, but oh well.  Isn't that kinda the Wizard Shtick to begin with?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:06:03 PM by KellKheraptis »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
Where is SotLWT from?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
Where is SotLWT from?

Tome, linky here.  Found it while digging up the Thaumaturge (it's buried in a Sorc thread on Frank and K's forum).  Absolute joygasm of wizardly abilities...dispelling is a valid tactic with this guy, and your no save/no sr blasts are an actual serious health hazard.  Free widen and enlarge is cool too.  Heh, TML's TK would RAPE with the cap removed and double range.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2010, 05:02:35 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the Thaumaturge?  I tried to find it on the Wiki and turned up nothing.

It's in the most recent version of the Tomes compilation, here. I think it's the updated version of Frank & Suulin's Sorcerer.
Solo on Essentials

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2010, 08:18:50 AM »

It's in the most recent version of the Tomes compilation, here. I think it's the updated version of Frank & Suulin's Sorcerer.

Joygasm!  This thing is a BEAST.  Let's see...

Thaumaturge 5/Metaphysical Spellshaper 3/Seeker of the Lost Wizard Traditions 7/War Mage 5
As the above, only gets sudden metamagic (hello Unfettered Heroism), another metamagic feat, and can now run the full gamut of Sor/Wiz/Cleric/Druid spells spontaneously, trading the familiar for Aligned Casting and using Unfettered Heroism with Chaotic Spell Recall to lay the hurt nonstop.  Oh, and spontaneously at that.  Add in Arcane Spellsurge and possibly Rapid Casting for full Quicken support of all spell slots (as your 9th's will take a full round action to cast).
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2010, 10:34:21 AM »

Joygasm!  This thing is a BEAST.  Let's see...

Thaumaturge 5/Metaphysical Spellshaper 3/Seeker of the Lost Wizard Traditions 7/War Mage 5
As the above, only gets sudden metamagic (hello Unfettered Heroism), another metamagic feat, and can now run the full gamut of Sor/Wiz/Cleric/Druid spells spontaneously, trading the familiar for Aligned Casting and using Unfettered Heroism with Chaotic Spell Recall to lay the hurt nonstop.  Oh, and spontaneously at that.  Add in Arcane Spellsurge and possibly Rapid Casting for full Quicken support of all spell slots (as your 9th's will take a full round action to cast).

Oh god, that's brutal. Hilariously, stupidly brutal. But they have to take downtime to research the non-core Sor/Wiz/Cleric/Druid spells, so they won't be pulling all the non-core tricks off the bat. Not that they have to.
Solo on Essentials

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2010, 10:36:40 AM »

Joygasm!  This thing is a BEAST.  Let's see...

As the above, only gets sudden metamagic (hello Unfettered Heroism), another metamagic feat, and can now run the full gamut of Sor/Wiz/Cleric/Druid spells spontaneously, trading the familiar for Aligned Casting and using Unfettered Heroism with Chaotic Spell Recall to lay the hurt nonstop.  Oh, and spontaneously at that.  Add in Arcane Spellsurge and possibly Rapid Casting for full Quicken support of all spell slots (as your 9th's will take a full round action to cast).

Oh god, that's brutal. Hilariously, stupidly brutal. But they have to take downtime to research the non-core Sor/Wiz/Cleric/Druid spells, so they won't be pulling all the non-core tricks off the bat. Not that they have to.

6 Words for ya : True Believer, Tome of Ancient Lore.  1 spell/day for the rest of eternity :D  Even if you assume only 1 year between levels 1 and 10, that's 365 spells that don't suck, non-core.

When I get back, I'll drop one that gets double auto-enlarge, auto-widen, and uncapped blasting, with any luck also including 3 levels of Spellwarp Sniper.  Lowly fireball becomes a Dragunov :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:49:02 AM by KellKheraptis »
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »
How are you applying action points to the use of a feat? I can't find anywhere that says that you can do this, only class features with a limited uses per day.

Nevermind, I was looking at ECS rather than UA. Do you even need to bother with chaotic-aligned casting and Chaotic Spell recall? The UA version appears to allow spell recall by default.

Also, the uncapped magic just seems to scream at me "RED WIZARD ME!!!!"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:20:14 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2010, 11:07:52 AM »
How the hell did they ever print Miser with Magic  :banghead? Seriously, if psuedo-official (as in, licensed 3rd party stuff ala dragon and BoEF) is allowed, that feat is the best thing any spellcaster can take.

Spellcraft check DC 10 + (2 * spell level) = DC 10 - 28. As a Wizard, you will never fail this check ever, assuming you start with an Int of 18. By level 9 (the earliest you can take the feat) the DC to retain a 5th-level spell is 20. Your Spellcraft check is 12 (ranks) + 2 (synergy) + 5 (Int 20 [18 + 2 level ups]) = 19. You succeed on a 1 without trying to optimize your check at all, and your check will remain 1 below the DC until you hit 16, when your check actually equals the DC. At no point do you fall behind the curve.

This is as good if not better than Natural Spell (except Druids can take it too, albeit they'll need to actually work to keep their Spellcraft check high enough).

BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
How the hell did they ever print Miser with Magic  :banghead? Seriously, if psuedo-official (as in, licensed 3rd party stuff ala dragon and BoEF) is allowed, that feat is the best thing any spellcaster can take.

Spellcraft check DC 10 + (2 * spell level) = DC 10 - 28. As a Wizard, you will never fail this check ever, assuming you start with an Int of 18. By level 9 (the earliest you can take the feat) the DC to retain a 5th-level spell is 20. Your Spellcraft check is 12 (ranks) + 2 (synergy) + 5 (Int 20 [18 + 2 level ups]) = 19. You succeed on a 1 without trying to optimize your check at all, and your check will remain 1 below the DC until you hit 16, when your check actually equals the DC. At no point do you fall behind the curve.

This is as good if not better than Natural Spell (except Druids can take it too, albeit they'll need to actually work to keep their Spellcraft check high enough).

Well, it does have the limit of only being able to recover a limited number of spell slots per day. But yeah, it's muy uber.
Solo on Essentials

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2010, 04:56:42 PM »

Well, it does have the limit of only being able to recover a limited number of spell slots per day. But yeah, it's muy uber.

Ah, didn't have the errata. That makes it less insane, although still essentially giving you an extra slot of your highest level and then some.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
Well, it looks like it's roughly equal to CSR for regaining slots, though it wouldn't cost your familiar, and it wouldn't take an action (that I could see).  So with Unfettered Heroism tech, it's strictly superior IMO.  Nice find, Echoes.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Double posting for awesomesauce value :
Thaumaturge 4/Metaphysical Spellshaper 3/Seeker of the Lost Wizard Traditions 3/Incantatrix 10

-2 to final metamagic, -1 to each metamagic, uncapped spells, free metamagic from both MPSS and Inca, Spell Reflection to ricochet spells back off an enemy a bunch of times, scroll prep to use any scroll as an impromptu spellbook, AoE spells always use all their potential area if you so desire, and if you don't feel this last ability is needed, replace the 3rd level of Seeker with Tainted Sorcerer, for even more free metamagic.  Between that, MPSS's easily abused ability damage mechanic, and Inca getting it for free (basically), there shouldn't be a single combo out of reach.

Also, if you'd rather dedicate a bit more to seeker, go for at least 5th level, and go monster hunting with Harvest Magic, for basically free crafting by scavenging the corpse of magically inclined monsters you overpower with your obscene magical might.

Feats and Items of note :
-Miser with Magic, for a no-action recharge, usable 1/rd with Persistent Unfettered Heroism
-Initiate of Mystra, as you share the cleric list with clerics
-True Believer isn't needed, as you only need to sacrifice a 5th level divine spell slot to use...
-A Tome of Ancient Lore, for all the spells known outside of core you'll ever need

Let me know if I missed anything :D  If you get the Tome before entering Incantatrix, you can even snag all the spells of the school you're going to ban, and not be out a damn thing.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
The RAW thaumaturgist 3 Prc has an even better free but stackable with the regular version extend on (summon) spells
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »
The Shadowcaster (ToM) will give you a bonus metamagic feat every other level from level 2 if you don't specialize in any one path. Not the strongest class to be sure, but maybe a slight dip for a free feat.

Still looking through Realmshelp? 'Cause I can name 3 feats off the top of my head not on the list.

EDIT: Ah, almost forgot. The Planar Handbook Wizard 14 substitution level is Enhanced Magic. 3/day cast a spell that would be maximized and enlarged on a particular plane, w/out level increase. Replaces a 7th level spell slot.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:29:28 PM by GrokThis »

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
any chance of a similar thesis with metapsionics?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Andion Isurand

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2011, 03:58:24 PM »
How does this handbook feel about the Transcendent Spell feat?   (Warcraft RPG: Magic and Mayhem 33)

Basically for seven spell slots you remove any cap on spell variables that are based on caster level.