Author Topic: Is Building Batman Possible?  (Read 21568 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Is Building Batman Possible?
« on: October 30, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »
The past couple of weeks my group's been talking about the Batman movies that have been released lately. The newest one being Batman/Superman: Apocalypse, which was awesome btw. At one point we began questioning whether D&D could possibly accurately create the Batman from the TV series and movies. We figured at some point, if you played around with it enough, you likely could. However, the DM and another player said that the only true way to do it would be to have the Batman race, and take one level of the Batman class. That'd be the only way you could possibly do it perfectly. He's just so awesome he'd only need one class level of Batman. Hell, there'd only need to be one level of Batman for the class.

I did look up a few builds, and besides the level 20 wizard that so many people seem fixated on (and psion 20 being the Superman build apparently), if you were allowed access to all of the books and dragon magazines, the closest I've seen so far was LN Rogue 2/Solitary Hunting Urban Ranger (CC nonspellcasting, Throwing combat style) 8/Master Inquisitive 4/Monk 2/Vigilante 3/Exotic Weapon Master 1.

Another one just had him as a Scout/Artificer/Factotum/Vigilante, while others just had him be all the ToB base classes, with Ranger and Rogue.

What would you do?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Is Building Batman Possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:32:20 AM »
Druid.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:41:16 AM »
No Solo, that's Man-Bat!
BG's other resident furry!

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 04:42:47 AM »
Have you seen this

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:29:50 AM »
Unarmed Swordsage 2/Artificer 18 would be the best one I'd think.  He's just got such great toys!  Also he knows how to fight without weapons.

JaronK

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »
I've done some rough, theoretical builds and the build I tend to enjoy is:

Rilkan Rogue 3/Passive Way Monk 2/Hit & Run Fighter 1/Urban Ranger 1/Rogue 3/Spy Master 4/Rogue 6.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
No Solo, that's Man-Bat!
Dare I ask where you got this reference...?

I more-or-less agree with JaronK's build.  Batman is just some ninja in spandex if he doesn't have his toys.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »
No Solo, that's Man-Bat!

I more-or-less agree with JaronK's build.  Batman is just some ninja in spandex if he doesn't have his toys.

That is why he has Lucius Fox build them for him...

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 07:50:08 AM »
No Solo, that's Man-Bat!

That is why he has Lucius Fox build them for him...

The only difference between him and a Dedicated Wright that the former has a pulse.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:44 AM »
Yes but who the hell wants to? Batman is just an Expert 6. All the nameless bad guys are Commoner 1, all the super villains have an extra level or so.

Why NPC levels?
By level 8 a ranger can track a toad over bare stone, while raining, three days afterwards.
By level 8 a rogue can walk across a one inch wide wooden pole, that was dipped in oil.
By level 8 your average sorcerer can convince the queen that the king cheated on her and you are a prince.
By level 8 the wizard disguises him self as Pelor, and the clerics believe it.
By level 8 the bard of convinces the king he cheated on his wife. Then he solves the marital problems afterwards.
By level 8 the fighter can swim. Even with his 50lb armor, 15lb shield, 10lb sword, and 300lbs of stuff on his back.
Batman can't do any of that. His tactic is he pulls a bat anti-whatever out of his ass, uses it, and then throws a few punches. Still not convinced?

He has a crap load of money and gadgets.
So do I, it's called buying a ladder and selling two ten foot poles.

He has suburb combat skills.
Most of the time he fights losers incapable of holding a job and by all rights are locked up in a luny bin instead of a real jail. The few trained people he does go against, Ra's al Ghul for instance are fully capable of beating the hell out of batman if not for some dumb little gadget.

He has awesome detective skills.
Here is a consideration, you have two mental stats, 10 is average in both therefor two 10s = 100IQ. An 16 in wisdom and 14 in intelligence. Your IQ is 150. Don't believe it? Technically speaking, an 18 in wisdom is almost double reasoning & deductive skills of the normal person.

But wait, he is a valuable member of the justice league and it is filled with people with super powers. And he can beat them all!
Dude, Aquaman is considered a valuable member of that team. His abilities include, breathing underwater, talking to fish, and that's it. As impressive as telling a shark to chew on some evil is, it's pretty worthless to a bunch of landwalkers like us. Also have you seen the justice league at all?
Superman: The guy is a dick with an uber weakness to a shiny rock found everywhere.
Wonder Women: Direct deity granted powers that are removed when a man ties her up. Did I mention she loves bondage and gets tied up hourly?
Green Lantern: The guy has a ring that creates whatever he wants, so mostly he makes large hands and crap found in your mom's junk drawer.
Flash: No note of juggernaut powers so his speed don't make him invincible so how does his speedy punches not shatter his fist upon impact with your face? Well I lack a 16 in wisdom, so I don't know how to exploit the basis to that.
Green Arrow: Hahahahahaha this guy is a joke right?

Fine, the justice league is full of idiots. Batman once beat a race of super aliens that took them hostage!
Haven't read that arc. Pretty sure batman pulls a hacking device out of his belt capable of understanding and beating the alien's 16^128 encryption locks at some point though. Someone keeps bluffing Pazuzu for more wishes...

Now if you want to build a kick ass level 20 D&D character that brings batman's style into play only scaled up to handle fighting things like angelic devas capable of rewriting reality. The Factotum is probably a good place to start.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »

Cthulhu lives in the ocean.

Your argument is invalid.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
If I were to build him, and go with the Lucius Fox building him stuff idea, I'd just make him a Factotum / Sword Sage, mixing levels to keep getting nice maneuvers, spent on stone dragon and shadow hand maneuvers. He'd have bitchin skills in all things batman has skills in (including ride, apparently... assuming no drive skill is included), could sneak well, and drop baddies in a hit.

Also, that belt should really be on damn near anyone if available. Anyone calculated what the whole thing listed costs? So at what level one might expect to have it?

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »
Wonder Women: Direct deity granted powers that are removed when a man ties her up. Did I mention she loves bondage and gets tied up hourly?
This puts Wonder Woman in a whole new light. I think I actually like her now. :lol
Green Lantern: The guy has a ring that creates whatever he wants, so mostly he makes large hands and crap found in your mom's junk drawer.
This includes the vibrator you wish you could unsee.
http://media.comicmix.com/media/2009/12/10/aquaman-meets-cthulhu.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4374/p2416225.jpg
Cthulhu lives in the ocean.

Your argument is invalid.
Whooooooooooo lives in R'lyeh under the sea?

I still think a couple of levels of Factotum aren't amiss. At least Factotum 1, if only for Cunning Insight; the crazy crap Batman pulls off needs some kind of boost, and that fits best. Also apparently knowing everything, covered by Cunning Knowledge. Though he does seem to fall for the lamest, most obvious traps, so he can't have Trapfinding... or good ranks in Spot/Search.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »
Yes but who the hell wants to? Batman is just an Expert 6. All the nameless bad guys are Commoner 1, all the super villains have an extra level or so.
Absolutely agree. Look at Greek myth. All of the Greek Myth monsters are around CR 6.

Nyarlathop1

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 02:21:11 PM »
Absolutely agree. Look at Greek myth. All of the Greek Myth monsters are around CR 6.

Except for perhaps Scylla and Typhon and the rest of the jumongous ones. Then again those weren't beaten by the heroes but by the gods or not at all; so probably pushing CR 12.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 03:08:53 PM »
The gargantuan-sized 12-headed hydra that Hercules fought would be about CR 24 though (base CR 11 + Titanic template). Medusa's sisters are CR 20 and 21 a piece as well.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »
Psionic artificer with Tashalatora maybe?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

pixledriven

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
Also, that belt should really be on damn near anyone if available. Anyone calculated what the whole thing listed costs? So at what level one might expect to have it?

65,526 GP
       3 SP
       1 CP

So..... 11th level for EVERYTHING, with 473GP, 5SP and 9CP left over.

=)

Edit: I should note this only includes the stuff in the OP, didn't take the time to compile all the suggestions in the following posts.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:15:29 PM by pixledriven »

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
A brief list of Batman's skills:

Master of...
All known forms of Martial Arts
Criminology
Mathematics
History
Mythology
Escapology
Chemistry
Biology
Foreign Languages
Forensic Studies
Driving Skills, Automobile / Motorcycle / Plane / Boat / Hang-Glider / Etc.
Tracking
Espionage
Lock Picking
Computer Hacking
Aerobatics
Rope and Rappel Training
Diving
Medical Training, Medicine and Surgery
Pain Management Training
Robotics
Motor and Engine Knowledge
Throwing Arts
Battle Tactics
Survival Training
Peak Physical Conditioning
Knowledge of how the Underworld Works
Negotiation Skills
Pick Pocketing
Camouflage skills
Acting skills (for undercover work)
Code Breaking skills
Sky Diving
Knowledge of Explosives

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »
In other words he has Able Learner and Jack of All Trades.