Author Topic: Making Cu Chulainn  (Read 4758 times)

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
Making Cu Chulainn
« on: October 27, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
So I want to make Cu Chulainn as an enemy for my PCs, and I am wondering how to make him.  Frenzied Berserker seems like a good idea, but I want to integrate the "warp spasms" idea in there somehow.  Is there a good way to go about this?  Currently the best ways I could think of is adding Bear Warrior (treating the "bear" as the warp spasm), but this takes a lot of levels.  Or I could add the pseudonatural template, which fits the flavor but takes a standard action to activate with little benefit, and unrelated to the raging aspect.  What other methods do I have available?

Other advice or tidbits on how to make it more Cu Chulainny are appreciated of course.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Making Cu Chulainn
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Bear Warrior sounds decent. I'd also add Blazing Berserker and Intimidating Rage, or something like them. The guy needs a way to stay alive at massive negative hp, even if he takes penalties.
Quote from: Wikipedia

Did you want to stat the ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:17:11 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

SolEiji

• D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »
By all means please.  Right now it's a Fleshgrinding Wounding Longspear in my notes.

This blazing berserker looks delicious.  I can totally see him walking out the middle of a huge firestorm all intimidating.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
By all means please.  Right now it's a Fleshgrinding Wounding Longspear in my notes.
It's more of a single-use weapon though, despite what Kinoko Nasu seems to think. :p I'd have it cast a spell of some kind, though I'm not sure what. Either it or the Spear of Lugh thirsted for blood and would drain the blood of whoever held it.

This blazing berserker looks delicious.  I can totally see him walking out the middle of a huge firestorm all intimidating.
An adaptation of frostrager might work.

Skimming the Wikipedia article:
  • Son of a god and a mortal
  • As a child could enter "warp spasms", slew the hound of a god with a ball
  • At the age of seven, was so strong that any normal weapon shattered from the force of his swings. He also destroys normal chariots somehow.
  • Recovered from a "powerful sleeping potion" brewed by an archdruid after an hour.
  • Destroys a major artefact in one blow with his sword (and it was made of stone).
  • At the age of 17, fights one-on-one duels non-stop for several months. Immediately after this he defeats a war goddess, followed by an entire army at once (killing so many that he builds walls from their corpses).
  • Surrounded by "hero-light" at times.
  • Body was so hot while raging that it caused water to explode
  • Managed to kill three people after his death.
  • Possessed Fragarach (sword which controlled the wind, forced people to tell the truth, and could cut though anything) and (instant-death spear with limited uses)
  • Went to Christian Hell for being a pagan, but broke out long enough to give a warning.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:49:39 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »
This blazing berserker looks delicious.  I can totally see him walking out the middle of a huge firestorm all intimidating.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you combine the two? Immunity to cold/fire carries vulnerability to the opposite along with it, so what happens when you get immunity to both? Blanket immunity? 50% damage reduction to each? They cancel each other out?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »

Out of curiosity, what happens if you combine the two? Immunity to cold/fire carries vulnerability to the opposite along with it, so what happens when you get immunity to both? Blanket immunity? 50% damage reduction to each? They cancel each other out?
Damage x2 x0 = Damage x0
My work

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
A level of  binder might be in order to bind Aym, that gives him the neat halo of fire ability and fire resistance that this character seems to have. Also it gives you improved sunder and bonus damage to objects which this character defiantly has. You could re-flavor it as an aspect of his half divinity. Also this will let him move at full speed in heavy armor if that means anything.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »
I do believe He was in the 1st Edition Deities + Demigods.
If you can locate that book, a straight hack would be as good a start as any.
Throw in some 3e-isms to make it work better.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
He's in the 2nd edition Legends and Lore book, looking at the entry right now.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

SolEiji

• D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 02:51:20 AM »
I eagerly await the results of this 2nd editionism.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 03:54:40 AM »
Want me to type it out?  It's pretty much just a stat block and a paragraph about his spear.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
God blooded template?

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »
If the Wiki article is the foundation of a build,
that sounds like Hercules with different goodies.
Way above Demi-god status.

The 1e version doesn't do any of this at all ; so ignore.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
Well an easy way would be just slap the paragon template on pretty much anything.. I keep trying to visualize what his "warp-spasm" would look like. The only thing I can come up with is something like a squeezed juice box... but a person? lawl..
He is interesting though.. I will probly come up with a build and post it later
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:09:23 AM »
Sucks to be his Charioteer, Laeg, when "he becomes an unrecognisable monster who knows neither friend nor foe".
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
Sucks to be his Charioteer, Laeg, when "he becomes an unrecognisable monster who knows neither friend nor foe".
In , his enemies made a spear which would "kill a king". In fact, just to be on the safe side, they made three of them.

The first killed his horse, because it was "the king of horses". The second killed Laeg, because he was "the king of charioteers". (the third one worked, because CC was "the king of champions")

So he must have been a pretty awesome charioteer.
My work

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »

I don't care how good I am at driving, if I'm driving next to an unrecognisable monster that is about to eat me, I value other skills over driving skills.

Anyway, this guy seems awesome, and I'm thinking Bear Warrior would work nicely for him.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
But how good of a Rider was he? :P

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
Perhaps some mix between Bear Warrior and Frenzied Beserker.

Maybe even try to get some Runescarred Beserker in there as well...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »

I don't care how good I am at driving, if I'm driving next to an unrecognisable monster that is about to eat me, I value other skills over driving skills.
One word: Exemplar. :P
My work