Author Topic: Best Evocations for Shadowcaster's Shadow Evocations?  (Read 2483 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Best Evocations for Shadowcaster's Shadow Evocations?
« on: October 22, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »
I was never too impressed by these mysteries, but on further thought there are some nice evocation spells, like contigency. Which leaves me a feeling that a shadowcaster can break the game with them. Whats the opt list of spells to use with these?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Best Evocations for Shadowcaster's Shadow Evocations?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 12:47:23 AM »
Force effects are some of the obvious ones: Forcecage, Wall of Force, Resilient Sphere and so on. Prismatic Spray and some other offensive Prismatic variants are evocation and are always fun.

I put together a list of all the shadowcraftable spells in the SRD, SpC and Complete Mage at one point, but I didn't get around to evaluating them all.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »
Wings of flurry.
Fire shuriken
Splinterbolt.

Does contingency work?
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:10:24 AM »
Wings of flurry.
Fire shuriken
Splinterbolt.

Does contingency work?

I'm sure it works if you believe it will. :P [Trick yourself with Glibness? Or could it be an Autohypnosis type thing? :D] Otherwise, it'll only work X% of the time.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
Is it OK to use Contingency with Mysteries?  Because I could see some neat chaining, like Contingency an Echo Spell for use with any long-duration buffs, or a Pass into Shadow.

But, if you just got those Mysteries, you can't use them all that often.  I was going to use the Dragon Breath spell for single combat "need stuff to do" buff (used on the Shadow Familiar).

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:04:38 PM »
Dragons Breath isn't evocation in the draconomicon, do you have another source for it?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 02:27:55 AM »
Spell Compendium, p. 73 has Dragon Breath, evocation [good or evil]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 02:46:15 AM »
Well, the somewhat unique thing the shadowcaster can do is make it (Su) with Favored Mystery. So I'd think about what's interesting to do with that. Maybe something, maybe nothing.