Author Topic: Dedicated Wright optimisation  (Read 6454 times)

Fadier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Dedicated Wright optimisation
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
I was pondering about the Dedicated Wright (ECS 285) specifically
Item Creation (Su):
A dedicated wright can perform the daily tasks related to item creation on behalf of its master. The master must meet (or emulate) all the prerequisites to create the desired item normally, and pays the gold and XP cost himself. The only cost a dedicated wright can help with is time. The master spends 1 hour initiating the process, channeling spell prerequisites into the dedicated wright, and paying the XP cost to make the item. He may then leave, allowing the wright to carry the process through to completion.

Reading this I assume that if somehow the Dedicated Wright gained Exceptional Artisan (ECS 52 - reducing the crafting time by 25%) it would reduce the crafting time it requires when it crafts for you. Would this be correct?

Also how would one give it Exceptional Artisan, considering it requires an item creation feat and any low level item crafting feat requires a caster level. I have been thinking about this and seem to hit a stumbling block every way I go.

The easiest seems to be give it a level of wizard (gaining Scribe Scroll) but I cannot find a way to do this without expending a feat on leadership.
The other way is to advance its hit dice to gain the feats (2000gp each extra hitdie) but then how does one give it a caster level, Imbue with Spell Ability does not give a caster level and Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability (SpC 120) requires it to be your familiar and thats another feat.

Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:55:32 PM by Fadier »
My gift back to the CO community, the The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: Dedicated Wright optimisation
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:05:16 AM »
Not everything you want but check handbooks first, linky
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:22:53 AM »
There is little need to have a Dedicated Wright craft faster.  If you need a Dedicated Wright to craft a really expensive item that will take a long time to finish, then just have one Dedicated Wright craft another Dedicated Wright and, if necessary, another Portable Hole for the second Wright to reside in.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »
Or I think you could make several Dedicated Wright workspaces in a tower in an Enveloping Pit.

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
If you absolutely want the item in question tomorrow... but it would normally take 200 days to craft, then you could try to make a defensible location in a Plane with the fast moving time trait.

But unless you stick around to guard the little guy, you are risking losing it and the item (or GP cost starting materials) to random encounters on said Plane.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
If you absolutely want the item in question tomorrow... but it would normally take 200 days to craft, then you could try to make a defensible location in a Plane with the fast moving time trait.

But unless you stick around to guard the little guy, you are risking losing it and the item (or GP cost starting materials) to random encounters on said Plane.
By the time you want an item that costs that much money, you should already have your own demiplane.

Fadier

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
The original intent on this topic was, with as minimal investment and lowest level possible, create magic items faster. I have been trying to avoid feats and class levels (which most of the Cost Reduction Handbook is) and just use GP/XP. While plane shifting does get the items made much faster it requires at least 5th level divine spells, hopefully this can be done by level 4ish.
(As a side note couldn't one just rope trick (or similar spell) in said fast moving plane and avoid random encounters?)

I am not too sure how multiple Wrights would help make the item faster. As far as I have seen a magic item takes 1 day per 1000gp in the price, no matter how many people (or beings) are involved. Is there something I am not aware of with item creation?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:11:34 PM »
One Wright makes the item that takes a long time, the other makes the items that don't take very long.  Even with the most favorable reading of all the time reduction abilities, and assuming that you can take them and apply them to your wright, it still takes 50 days to craft items costing 200k.  In other words, an item that takes a long time will always take a long time without flowing time plane-shifting shenanigans.  The only real concern you should have is keeping the wright alive and tying up your wright(s) for extended periods of time.  The whole "base in an Enveloping Pit" idea takes care of protecting them (and even provides a nice place to stash the laboratory needed for making more), while having one Wright craft others when needed (it takes 4 days to craft a wright) takes care of the problem of tying them all up.

Fadier

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »
I was under the assumption that the while the Dedicated Wright was crafting it was still considered you crafting, thus you could only really have one going at one time. Though looking at the text again it seems its quite ambiguous on how that actually works.