Author Topic: Fortune's Lover  (Read 4086 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Fortune's Lover
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »
Alright, my DM for an upcoming epic level game has allowed me to play what I would like to call "the Luckiest Man Alive." Basically, I'm trying to optimize the number of Luck Rerolls I'm allowed; so far I have 9 rerolls before adding on the ones from Luck feats, and I have up to 7th level Cleric spells. The build is Human Cleric 5/Fortune's Friend 5/Legacy Champion 9/Uncanny Trickster 2.

Domains are Luck and Pride. Legacy Champion is advancing Fortune's Friend, and so is the Uncanny Trickster. I'm not yet decided on what legacy weapon I'll pick; I might go with a custom one, if my DM allows.

I know that by RAW advancing Fortune's Friend gives you more CL increases and extra rerolls, but would it also be reasonable to also advance the number of bonus luck feats you get?

Feats at this point are:

1st: Unbelievable Luck
Human: Lucky Start
3rd: Third Time's the Charm
6th: Healer's Luck
7th (Luck): Better Lucky than Good
9th: Tempting Fate
9th (Luck): Survivor's Luck
12th: Magical Fortune
15th: Open
18th: Open
21st: Open

Total Luck rerolls: 17, and hopefully I can argue to advance the bonus feats...

I also can, 1/day each, give a +16 luck bonus to skill checks, saving throws, and attack rolls.

Any suggestions as per a legacy weapon would be welcome.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Fortune's Lover
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:19:35 PM »
Get 9th level spells. There is something like... Choose Destiny? Want to say SpC. Allows all d20 rolls to be performed twice. Persist with DMM.

saethone

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:01:34 PM »
if its forgotten realms i'd check cov etc for tymora sub levels or inniate feats they could help but i'm AFB atm so i can't check

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »
Get 9th level spells. There is something like... Choose Destiny? Want to say SpC. Allows all d20 rolls to be performed twice. Persist with DMM.

My group has put a moratorium on 9th level spells for me specifically.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »
That seems pretty... lame? Any reason why they thought that would be a good idea?
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:03:34 AM »
Alter Fortune
Level 3 spell from PHB2
As an immediate action, reroll.  Costs some XP.  I like using Dweomerkeeper to remove the XP.

Also, Fatespinner comes to mind.  But as I recall, that's arcane only.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 12:35:49 AM »
Have an artificer buddy to stick doomwarding on your weapon.  7rerolls/ infusion
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »
That seems pretty... lame? Any reason why they thought that would be a good idea?

For one thing, none of the other people in my group know what optimization is, except for my usual DM, who has been approaching the concept for a while, without actually reaching it, yet.

So I tend to be limited to more limited characters.

Funnily enough, the moratorium goes back to 1st edition. Probably because I killed a deity in 3 rounds. With a combination of Polymorph Any Object and a homebrew spell that made fire damage hurt twice as much.

It's funny to say the words "burning iron maiden", just to watch them twitch.

So, any word about legacy weapons? I feel like being a nice guy (and seeing how effective I can be in my group without spellcasting. I mean, I have one guy who wouldn't know how to use Wish if you gave him detailed instructions. He plays his 2nd level Wizard like a Rogue, without being effective at all at that role (he's an Evoker, 'cause he wanted to blast. He also thinks that Burning Hands is the greatest spell ever.). But I digress.)

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 02:11:21 AM »
Because a moritorium on 9th level spells is, in general, a good idea.

Even with the XP component, Alter Fortune is hideously powerful, especaially for a 3rd-level spell in an epic game.  Now that it has been brought to my attention, expect to see it on just about any character I have capable of casting 3rd-level spells (it's on just about every list).

Given your build, I suggest these (and only these) luck feats:
Advantageous Avoidance
Dumb Luck
Lucky Start
Survivor's Luck
Unbelieveable Luck
Tempting Fate

Just forget the rest of them, even Third Time's a Charm.  As for what Legacy Champion advances, you get basically everything except the bonus feats advanced (the bonus feats are called out as being at 2 and 4, everything else is class level).

As for what to do with the rest of the feats, just go with the usual Cleric shenanigans.  In a low-optimization Epic game, they should be pretty effective.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
Alright, I'll take your advice.

Again, any good Legacy Weapons for me to look at? I'm actually willing to use the Legacy Weapon, because it reduces my DM's chances of smacking me. And she smacks hard.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »
Races of Destiny.

Handy Links

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
Alright, I'll take your advice.

Again, any good Legacy Weapons for me to look at? I'm actually willing to use the Legacy Weapon, because it reduces my DM's chances of smacking me. And she smacks hard.
The infiltrator armor looks decent. But you would probably be best using the rules in that book to make one on your own with a luck focus, maybe using a depleted luckblade as the base weapon.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »
Mythic Exemplar gets some luck-related goodies, as does Luckstealer in RotW.  The former should be relatively easy to access if you're of a mind, while the latter requires shenanigans.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »
I like the luckblade idea.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »
There's also a sorcerer ACF that grants you a domain and its spells

luck domain sorcerer6/fortune's friend5/fatespinner5/wild mage4

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
As an immediate action, reroll.  Costs some XP.  I like using Dweomerkeeper to remove the XP.

How would using Dweomerkeeper help here.. If you turn it into a supernatural spell, its now a standard action to cast.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »

How would using Dweomerkeeper help here.. If you turn it into a supernatural spell, its now a standard action to cast.

I missed that part.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:37:49 AM »
So...feeling lucky, punk!?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
The nifty thing about luckstealer is that it's luck-stealing ability one of those rare offensive actions you can take as a move action.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »
But I don't want to be a Halfling...

Feh, I'll play a Changeling. Probably fits my concept better...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]