Author Topic: Optimizing Divine Spell Power  (Read 5796 times)

Godless_Paladin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Optimizing Divine Spell Power
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »
Pretty straightforward.  How can you guarantee a high roll on Divine Spell Power (Complete Divine feat)?  For reference, you need a 22 on a turning check to get the +4.

So far I know of...
Boosting your Cha (duh)
Circlet of Persuasion (+3)
Knowledge Religion 5 ranks (+2)
Glory Domain (+2)
True Holy Symbol (+2) (Planar Handbook)
Hallow (situationally, of course, but when you're on Hallowed ground you get a +4)

That at least guarantees you'll get a +0 and makes it fairly easy to get the +4, and doesn't cost too much (THS: 500g, Circlet: 4500g).  Even if you didn't invest in the Glory Domain, you've got a +10 bonus to the check before Charisma.  However, I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing.  After all, I've been away from the CO game for a coupla years now, I could be rusty.

What else could push these rolls higher?

Edit:  
-Action points and rerolls help with any d20 rolls, of course.
-The Luckstone, Pale Green Ioun Stone, Admiral's Bicorne and Breastplate of Command help too, but they're pretty darned expensive.  What can we do to get the bonus up there faster?
-Heighten Turning and Divine Energy Focus, but I'd only recommend it if you want to boost turning for other purposes too, since a cleric's feats are precious.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:53:23 PM by Godless_Paladin »

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Optimizing Divine Spell Power
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »
rerolls, action points?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:17:19 AM »
Technically, there's the breastplate of command, but it's wholly redundant with a circlet of persuasion.  A stone of good luck provides a +1 luck bonus on ability checks (among other things).  Benediction and surge of fortune, both spells from Complete Champion, could help but are probably too much trouble to get into effect.  There are some bonuses you could get from other people or multiclassing, but that doesn't seem practical. 

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »
Well, a 1 level dip into Marshall will double your Cha bonus to the check, so it might be worthwhile.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Godless_Paladin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »
Well, a 1 level dip into Marshall will double your Cha bonus to the check, so it might be worthwhile.

As Maat Mons said, that doesn't really seem practical...

Axator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
Improved Turning (Players' Handbook p. 96) My bad, that only works for Turning Damage.
Heighten Turning (Libris Mortis p. 27)
Divine Energy Focus (Ghostwalk p. 30)

Heighten Turning is especially good in this instance since you don't roll for Turning Damage.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:43:27 PM by Axator »

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »
Would the Nypmh's Kiss feat help?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Godless_Paladin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
Anything that helps Cha checks helps.  Still, is there anything to put more into it besides feats or unworthy classes like Marshal?

What about boosting Rebuking checks?

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 12:57:12 PM »
Admiral's Bicorne from Stormwrack could help, +5 bonus is nothing to snooze off.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
Whatever that ioun stone is that gives a +1 competence bonus to ability checks? just slammed reply without checking if it stacks with some of that other stuff.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
Whatever that ioun stone is that gives a +1 competence bonus to ability checks? just slammed reply without checking if it stacks with some of that other stuff.

Similar vein, a luckstone grants a +1 luck bonus, and would stack with all that above.  Check the thread on planar binding...it's got a million and one ways to optimize a Cha check on a wizard (who usually dump Cha no less).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Godless_Paladin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »

Similar vein, a luckstone grants a +1 luck bonus, and would stack with all that above.  Check the thread on planar binding...it's got a million and one ways to optimize a Cha check on a wizard (who usually dump Cha no less).

What thread would that be?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »

What thread would that be?

Off the top of my head, probably the malconvoker one.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:18:43 PM »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Godless_Paladin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »
What about spells?

For example, Ray of Hope (BoED) is an already-solid level 1 buff that gives you +2 to attack, saves, and ability checks.