Author Topic: Thought on this homebrew Troubadour of Stars errata?  (Read 1075 times)

MalcolmSprye

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Thought on this homebrew Troubadour of Stars errata?
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:08 PM »
So for a while, I was considering going Troubadour of Stars.  My GM suggested it, since we're playing a (mostly) good aligned party, and we have a Champion of Gwynhwaryf(sp?).  However... we gradually came to realize just how mediocre, bordering on crappy, it was:
 Half spell progression
Celestial Magic: a useless(for a bard) second level ability(since there are no Bard spells that require a celestial component)
 bardic music abilities that would be ok, if they didn't put further strain on the action supply
 and to top it off, the 9th level ability, a spammable 7th level cleric spell, turned out to be useless once we noticed the little phrase "the troubadours caster level is equal to her class level". Yay... at level 19 I can deafen lvl 9 and blind lvl 8's. :D

So for a while, I threw that class away, and started making plans to go into Sublime Chord.  Sadly, I decided this rather late, so I was looking at something around 50 weeks of downtime retraining.  I was surprised to find out that my GM hadn't given up on Troubadour.  He resented the crappiness of troubador, especially since it requires an exalted feat (and a nigh useless one at that), which puts some heavy restrictions on the actions you can take. So a few days ago, he presented a errataed version to me.

His stated goal is that it be as good, in its own way as Sublime Chord.  So without further ado, here are his proposed changes:
Full spell progression
Celestial magic replaced by Celestial Music:  Bardic music effects may now be activated as an immediate action
Celestial Symphony: if you use words of creation to boost it, the caster level becomes your bardic music level.

So yah, comments? do you think he's hitting his goal?  Overshooting? Undershooting?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Thought on this homebrew Troubadour of Stars errata?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:36 PM »
To be as good as sublime chord, the class features need to be as good as 9th level spells ;)

Edit: In case it wasn't clear.. still undershooting.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:20:20 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Thought on this homebrew Troubadour of Stars errata?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:42:49 PM »
Yeah, there's not much that's "as good as Sublime Chord" because, frankly, high-level spellcasting ranges from stupidly good to broken.

For what it's worth, that homebrew version of Troubadour of Stars sounds like a pretty good bard PrC (full casting, music progression, decent class abilities), but trying to match Sublime Chord is kind of unlikely.