Author Topic: [Dark Heresy] Imperial Psyker build help  (Read 16378 times)

TheCheshiresGrin

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
[Dark Heresy] Imperial Psyker build help
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »
Hello,

I've joined a Dark Heresy game (my first) and got a Void Born Imperial Psyker through the luck of the rolls. In addition, I rolled rather well on the whole and got some decent scores in (what I think) are the primary skills. If I could get some help with skills, traits and powers. Anything. Even equipment assistance would be very nice. I would appreciate any help.

Name: Magnus
Homeworld: Void Born
Career Path: Imperial Psyker
Divination: A suspicious mind is a healthy mind. (+3 Perception)
Quirk: Career Path
Build: Lanky
Height: 2.1m
Weight: 75kg
Skin Colour: Milky
Eye Colour: Grey

WS: 23
BS: 31
STR: 26
T: 36
AG: 20
INT: 40
PER: 41
WP: 42
FEL: 19

Right now I have taken the powers Lucky, Flashbang and Healer. These seem like they'd be useful, even given my limited knowledge of DH game mechanics. The GM has allowed me to look over my powers and change them if I find others I like (Just for now, though, as I've not used any powers yet in game).

I've got 200 xp to spend on skills, but I don't know which ones to pick. I'm thinking Forbidden Lore (Warp) might be a useful one, but the Minor Psychic Power calls to me in the night.

To reiterate, I'd appreciate any tips I could on making this guy better (and preventing head-explosive warp invasions).

Thank you, in advance, for your time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:44:01 PM by TheCheshiresGrin »

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: [Dark Heresy] Imperial Psyker build help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:02:15 PM »
If radicals handbook is allowed, consider being a darkholder void born. It gives you +5 WP and +5 Toughness, But -5 Int and -5Fellowship. Penalties to two unimportant stats and boni to two important stats, especially since increasing your toughness by 5 would get you TB4.

Also, if Inquisitors handbook is allowed consider grabbing the Living nightmare background trait with your starting experience, which should be 400 unless your DM is deliberately playing a low level campaign, if not, simply increasing your WP by +5 is a good bet if you go darkholder, since you will then have a Will Power Bonus of 5, giving you much better casting.

Last but not least, consider the power distort vision, since it manifests as a free action you can run around and do a lot of other stuff while potentially stealing actions from your opponents and surviving yourself. Also if Disciples of the dark gods is allowed, consider grabbing the Suggestion and Space slip powers, both are Immensely versatile. Endure flames is also pretty useful since being lit on fire in Dark heresy is pretty certain death (First you have to pass a WP test, then a Hard Agi test to put it out, if not you get a point of fatigue, which means, in 4 rounds you are dead), also many daemons and psychic powers rely on flame, which endure flames make you immune to, the resistance to melta and plasma is sort of situational, but a nice Icing (and if you are facing plasma or melta weapons, the rest of your party is dead anyway).

Also, how did you get an Agi of 20? Void born get 20+2d10. So the lowest you can get is 22. You also seem to have forgotten to add 3d6 years to your starting age, which the sanctioning adds.

Oh and you haven't rolled for what happened during your sanctioning, some of those abilities are decent, so if your DM allows you to choose, grab the one that gives you extra WP or fate Points. My current dark heresy psyker picked willpower increase and living nightmare for starting, so he ended up starting with a WP of 54.
If I had to do it again, I'd probably be able to get him to something like 62 WP at starting out, but that is because I rolled a sickly high score for WP.

For equipment I grabbed a load of firebombs, while my strength is terrible, a grenade can often solve problems, I also grabbed a laspistol, and bought a Hot shot charge for it, so I could do damage when I needed to, I chose a telescopic sight, but I think the red-dot laser sight is better, especially if your DM allows you to relocate it later. I'm at rank 3 right now, so I'm changing my laspistol with a Long las, due to the errata to accurate that is a fairly powerful weapon for a fairly minimal investment (I can hit with BS of 66 by aiming and using a Red-dot Laser sight dealing 3d10+3 damage if I succeed with 2 or more degrees).

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:08:52 PM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Yeah, if you can, definitely go darkholder / living nightmare.

Raising your WP as high as possible means you can reliably manifest a good number of minor powers while only rolling 1d10. Rolling only 1d10 means a lesser chance of rolling a 9, which means less head-asplode.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
Also, if your DM doesn't use the errata'ed version of corpus conversion, aiming for that and Seal wounds is a great tactic. If he does use the errataed version, it is a useless talent.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

TheCheshiresGrin

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
This is great advice! Thank you very much.

Additionally, am I merely misreading it or does "Distort Vision" basically make the Psyker unassailable for most enemies?

I don't have the Radical's Handbook, but I may pick it up in the future.

I just picked up the Living Nightmare template and it's terrific! Thanks for leaning me toward it. (The GM is starting us lower intentionally. I'm at 450 xp now though).

My AGI was off. I forgot to add the actual bonus. I had rolled an 18 into that stat. Total of 38.

My sanctioning was rolled as the one that adds to toughness and gives you a fear of needles. Though I can ask to change it still (as I'm still learning the game).

Again, excellent advice on the equipment. The firebombs have already come in very handy, both for a life-and-death situation and for an epic *shove-grenade-in-the-mouth-of-a-foul-mutated-cultist-and-shove-him-off-the-top-of-a-tower" finale.

It has helped greatly.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:41:11 PM by TheCheshiresGrin »

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »
Distort vision was Errata'ed IIRC.

Most of the cool psyker tricks were sadly. I think you can find them here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/dark-heresy/pdf/darkheresy-errata-v3.0.pdf

Also on armour, you may have realised this, but people very rarely hit you in the feet. Everyone always hugs cover in my group at least so the most important place to armour is arms and head. If you are afraid of close combat, the body is a good place to get some armour as well, since it is three times as likely to be hit as anywhere else.

At least your sanctioning went better than mine, since I just got my eyes replaced.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

TheCheshiresGrin

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Does the errata v3 contain all the errata to date or is it to be used in conjunction with all the other errata.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »
Does the errata v3 contain all the errata to date or is it to be used in conjunction with all the other errata.

I believe it's all there, with the newest additions in red colored text (or something like that).

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:31:46 AM »
Yep it should be containing everything.

It does hurt psykers quite a bit, especially the rather insane nerf to Corpus Conversion, which is the most terrible talent ever after that Errata, it shouldn't be hard talking a DM into it being something else. Losing toughness is terrible, but losing wounds is to easy for a psyker, somewhere in between would be smart.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out