Author Topic: Expert vs Monk Challenge!  (Read 151718 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Expert vs Monk Challenge!
« Reply #640 on: June 20, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »
Lack of flurry that way makes it generally not the best option.

JaronK

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #641 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »
Lack of flurry that way makes it generally not the best option.

JaronK

You mean the flurry of misses? Is there some intrinsic reason as to why the monk must use flurry of blows (for all intents & purposes a special ability for melee) with a ranged weapon?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #642 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »
This is a PvE game, not a PvP game, so let's get back to using the same game test rather than talking about counter strategies for a scenario that would rarely if ever exist.

And seriously, the best set of books to make builds from is core and completes (and maybe "races of" books). That's the most common set of allowed books and the best place to gauge power levels for real games.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #643 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
You mean the flurry of misses? Is there some intrinsic reason as to why the monk must use flurry of blows (for all intents & purposes a special ability for melee) with a ranged weapon?

Basically, the Monk pays a lot for the ability to flurry (which at higher levels costs him nothing, other than the full attack).  Showing that it's best to ignore his class features and just attack as an unmodified 3/4 BAB class hurts.  It's the same reason you don't tend to want to make Rogue archer builds that function at more than 30' range habitually (disregarding stuff like Crossbow Sniper or Martial Rogues)... if your major strategy doesn't fit with the class at all, perhaps you should be a different class.  I'm not saying a Monk can't use a bow via race... just that it's not exactly a huge advertisement.

@skydragon: this still isn't vs, it's showing how you can do against certain types of monsters.  "Fight a more melee focused monster who also has some ranged abilities" isn't a scenario that would rarely if ever exist.

JaronK

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #644 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:26 PM »
I would agree, but "should be a different class" is irrelevant to the class' actual power. It's relevant to it's power that's relevant to your build, but in a Class X Vs Class Y argument, you have to take it as a given that each person is a member of their respective class. Otherwise, perhaps the fact that you can only choose 10 class skills instead of all of them means you ought to be a Factotum instead of an Expert.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #645 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

Basically, the Monk pays a lot for the ability to flurry (which at higher levels costs him nothing, other than the full attack).  Showing that it's best to ignore his class features and just attack as an unmodified 3/4 BAB class hurts.  It's the same reason you don't tend to want to make Rogue archer builds that function at more than 30' range habitually (disregarding stuff like Crossbow Sniper or Martial Rogues)... if your major strategy doesn't fit with the class at all, perhaps you should be a different class.  I'm not saying a Monk can't use a bow via race... just that it's not exactly a huge advertisement.

JaronK

But archery doesn't have to be a major strategy, it must merely present itself as an option should the occasion arise. Discarding the option of trading flurry of blows out for another ability, the mere ability to use a bow doesn't discount or devalue any of the Monk's class abilities. 

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #646 on: June 21, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
Fair enough.  But it's academic to this point, as the Monk build in question could not have survived a back and forth exchange of fire (he tanked his Dex score anyway).

So, have we all agreed at this point that Giacomo's plan of using Skill Prodigy to emulate skills while pumping Int and thus tanking other needed scores does not in fact work well for a Monk at all?

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #647 on: June 21, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »
Might actually have been better to just....use a straight monk with stats in the right places rockin Touch of Golden Ice.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #648 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »
Might actually have been better to just....use a straight monk with stats in the right places rockin Touch of Golden Ice.
Only problem is that Golden Ice has a fixed save DC that's pretty low (14)  It does deal a lot of Dex damage, though (Initial 1d6+target's Cha bonus, secondary 2d6+target's Cha bonus, +1 on both if Elemental or Undead, +2 if Outsider, Cleric, or Diety)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #649 on: June 21, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
And yet you're defending (whether you realize it or not) a build that throws away almost all the Monk class features for skills, using feats.
Just so you know, I am not to be at any point considered to be helping Giaomole's build. Just Monk's in general. And only because we're talking about vs the Expert here, I'd pit a Samurai against the Expert and still say the Expert lost.

How, specifically, is the Expert in question dependent on the campaign?  I'm pretty sure "buy the best appropriately mobile mount available" isn't very campaign specific.
Got crafting? It makes to dependent on finding raw materials (what is black lotus made out of again?) and terms of usefulness is next to nill in a world with NPCs picking up crafting skills to make money off adventurers without any of the risk.

Expert Class Features: 6+Int Skills, D6 HD, Good Will Save, 10 skills of your choice as class skills, 3/4 BAB.
Monk Class Features: 4+Int Skills, d8 HD, Good Fort, Relf, & Will Save, 3/4 BAB with up to two extra attacks.

You skipped explaining why obtaining UMD and buying a Bat is so hard no one can do it with an off-hand wave to value those skills above an inherent +20HP, +6 Fort/Relf (how much does it cost in gp for this?), then never factored those towards the further losses of having zero Class Features. Personally, since Skills are so easy to use, and replace, I consider the Immediate Action Blink trait to single handedly be better than everything the Expert has going for him. And that's ignore because you're too busy trolling Giaomole and he didn't take it (for w/e reasons, I hope it was a good one).

You proved that yourself when you agreed with Giacomo that it's worth sacking Monk class features to be useful.
You also should note I sacked 90% of the skills printed and of some of the remaining, didn't even take full ranks in them all. Hell I didn't even spend all the skill points in my posted build, that just how concerned I am with finishing it.

Not using FoF while I shoot a bow is significantly less permanent than hold on I need a week in game time and the PHB to fix this. In fact it's like the option to use Power Attack, Snap Kick, or Combat Expertise. But you finally conceded this anyway.

Touch of Golden Ice's DC is too low, but all forms of bonus damage become better with access to multiple attacks, the trick is to find one that's great. For instance, Like Drinker on a FoFing Monk can deal 10 negative levels, a Fighter can expect 8. An Expert, 6. And it gets silly when your bonus damage stacks up to a point where you start talking mouth darts (3 attacks per attack action).
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #650 on: June 21, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »
How, specifically, is the Expert in question dependent on the campaign?  I'm pretty sure "buy the best appropriately mobile mount available" isn't very campaign specific.
Got crafting? It makes to dependent on finding raw materials (what is black lotus made out of again?) and terms of usefulness is next to nill in a world with NPCs picking up crafting skills to make money off adventurers without any of the risk.
Jaron's Expert literally says "I want poison", focuses his mind, and the poison appears.  That's what Psionic Minor Creation can do.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #651 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »
Jaron's Expert literally says "I want poison", focuses his mind, and the poison appears.  That's what Psionic Minor Creation can do.
That isn't crafting. Crafting is the result of wasting skill points in the skill Craft, or feats in Craft X.

Your post serves to highlight how crappy Crafting is.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #652 on: June 21, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
That isn't crafting. Crafting is the result of wasting skill points in the skill Craft, or feats in Craft X.

How?  Minor Creation still requires a Craft check for some items, which the poisons are likely to be included in.

Seriously, make sure you've read the rules on everything in question before responding.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #653 on: June 21, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
And yet you're defending (whether you realize it or not) a build that throws away almost all the Monk class features for skills, using feats.
Just so you know, I am not to be at any point considered to be helping Giaomole's build. Just Monk's in general. And only because we're talking about vs the Expert here, I'd pit a Samurai against the Expert and still say the Expert lost.

And yet you jumped in in favor of Giacomo's build... because you didn't read enough to realize what was being talked about.  

Once again, he generates the material via Wild Talent.  He could be in the middle of a barren desert and still have the materials.  Wild Talent gives him Psionic Minor Creation 2/day... this does not have material components, but does require a craft check to make the poison.  There is nothing campaign specific at all.  Read the posts before commenting.

Expert Class Features: 6+Int Skills, D6 HD, Good Will Save, 10 skills of your choice as class skills, 3/4 BAB.
Monk Class Features: 4+Int Skills, d8 HD, Good Fort, Relf, & Will Save, 3/4 BAB with up to two extra attacks.

More than just that, of course.  But you can see from that skeleton that trying to be an Expert (trying to be a skillmonkey) actually doesn't work, which is what we were talking about here.  The reduced skillpoints hurts a bit, but the dependency on four stats other than Int is what really kills it.

You skipped explaining why obtaining UMD and buying a Bat is so hard no one can do it with an off-hand wave

Buying an appropriate mount (doesn't have to be a bat, that's just my personal favorite) is not hard at all, it just shows one of the reasons high movement and safe fall doesn't matter much at all, and shows that combat mobility is more than just having an enhancement bonus to speed.  The Monk's dependency on standing still to attack (Flurry or Decisive Strike) hurts them when we're talking about such easy options... while many characters can easily ride about (or run about) and attack, classes like the Monk (and to a lesser extent Fighters) can't run around doing things like that, due to full attack dependency.  Monks, having special rules for full attacking, are actually more dependent on full attack actions than most melee classes.  Note that the Expert in question didn't care about full attacking at all.

As for UMD, it's just not a class skill for Monks, and it runs off a dump stat for Monks.  By comparison, it's a class skill for Experts (if they want it to be) and Experts can generally chose whichever stats they should rely on based on their skill choices.

to value those skills above an inherent +20HP,

Except MAD then usually lowers the amount of Con you can put in there, so there's really no guarantee a given Monk will have such increased HP.  In fact, they may have less.  In the specific comparison here, I used Necropolitan, which completely invalidated any hp bonus (something that anyone can do to reset their HP to d12+2 at least).  Also, why are you talking about level 20?  We were talking about level 6.  I guess "+6HP" doesn't sound as impressive, especially when you realize the Monks shown have all had equal or fewer hp than the Expert I made.

+6 Fort/Relf (how much does it cost in gp for this?),

I think I showed clearly how easy it is to get rid of much of the need for fort saves, since the Expert I made was immune to the vast majority.  And the cost of +6 Ref and Fort at level 20 is relatively trivial, though I don't see why you keep insisting on level 20 comparisons.  It's not like Monk 20 is terribly viable (neither is Expert 20 of course).

then never factored those towards the further losses of having zero Class Features. Personally, since Skills are so easy to use, and replace, I consider the Immediate Action Blink trait to single handedly be better than everything the Expert has going for him. And that's ignore because you're too busy trolling Giaomole and he didn't take it (for w/e reasons, I hope it was a good one).

See, the point I was making when you decided to start arguing was precisely that: that if you want to show an optimized Monk, you should be showing how Monk class features can make a build more powerful.  Things like the Blinking deal, and flurry, and so on all can show how a Monk is strong.  Tanking Wis and Dex so you can pump Int and take Skill Mastery doesn't do anything useful.

Touch of Golden Ice's DC is too low, but all forms of bonus damage become better with access to multiple attacks, the trick is to find one that's great. For instance, Like Drinker on a FoFing Monk can deal 10 negative levels, a Fighter can expect 8. An Expert, 6. And it gets silly when your bonus damage stacks up to a point where you start talking mouth darts (3 attacks per attack action).

ToGI is indeed decent if you can get enough attacks... it functions like a crit effect, landing on one in 20 attacks.  With that said, I try to avoid Exalted stuff, as the alignment requirements can be taxing on a party.  If you were going to do VoP anyway of course then ToGI is one of the first things to take.

JaronK

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #654 on: June 21, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »

How?  Minor Creation still requires a Craft check for some items, which the poisons are likely to be included in.

Seriously, make sure you've read the rules on everything in question before responding.
Take 10 (can you?), use a Wand of Guidance of the Avatar for +10 more, use a Masterwork Tool for +2 more. Grats, with 16 Int you can beat DC 25. I can say some craft poison DCs go up to 30, but meh. I'm sticking to the area of bashing skills, so I'm keeping my reply in the generic area of 140gp is all it takes to replicate your used points and not looking to spend more.

btw, would you say it's impossible for Aid Other to work for that check? Just asking you know, I'd hate to say you can Aid Other on craft skill checks then listen to you talk about how a power is creating it and so you ignore skill rules.

And yet you jumped in in favor of Giacomo's build... because you didn't read enough to realize what was being talked about. 
Well of course. My attention span is limited by just how well everyone else is listening.

Have you not seen the various threads about skills and the posts here. Anyone can hit a certain level of proficiency with skills with little to no effort. Everything the Expert has Giacomo could replicate with a small handful of gold. On that token you could claim I am supporting it. But I have no damn idea about his build and refuse to go back and read it and so I really can't be takking about his build. I take you more seriously than him (mostly because I need someone I can laugh at and do stress relief with) which is probably some form of insult... >.>

More than just that, of course.  But you can see from that skeleton that trying to be an Expert (trying to be a skillmonkey) actually doesn't work, which is what we were talking about here.  The reduced skillpoints hurts a bit, but the dependency on four stats other than Int is what really kills it.
Thing is, Skillmonkey is a term for people with disabilities. You only take up that role because combat & god are covered, and it's not that god or anyone with UMD can't do your trait better, they just have better things to do instead. With a minor expenditure you can pretend to be a Skillmonkey while playing your class, like my choice of a scout style uber charging Monk which when compared to the Barbarian is several times more versatile.

Example.
Buying an appropriate mount (doesn't have to be a bat, that's just my personal favorite) <snip> The Monk's dependency on standing still to attack (Flurry or Decisive Strike) hurts them when we're talking about such easy options...
Get a mount, pay 21gp to train it for battle. Mount takes if move actions while the Monk can Full-Attack for FoF.

Full on replication of Handle Animal for 21gp while single handedly fixing FoF & flight. Ignored and unaddressed all because you thought the Monk has to be on naked and on foot and only the Expert can buy a private army.

And I mentioned the HP for completeness, plus it is 2 points more in Constitution the Expert must buy up for the same HP total. Like wise your entire comment in this area is "but I'm a necropolition!", yeah. And what if the Monk was to?

As for talking about a Monk pretending to be an Expert. Again I ask what is a Monk iconic image? I never once seem them as naked foot fighters like some of you do. Given that everyone can use skills and everyone can choose to Min/Max one or more aspects of their build, isn't choosing to max out skill capabilities an option for everyone? You canonize the Expert's role to be skills. Sure it is intended, but your overlooking one simple concept here. That's all the Expert can be. Not my fault if anyone can choose that role if they wanted and it's not my problem the Expert can't choose something else.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #655 on: June 21, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Take 10 (can you?), use a Wand of Guidance of the Avatar for +10 more, use a Masterwork Tool for +2 more. Grats, with 16 Int you can beat DC 25. I can say some craft poison DCs go up to 30, but meh. I'm sticking to the area of bashing skills, so I'm keeping my reply in the generic area of 140gp is all it takes to replicate your used points and not looking to spend more.

You can take 10.  But I'd rather not have to burn a charge on a second level spell twice a day at level 6, as that costs too much... also, I'd say that Guidance of the Avatar, which is 3.0, was pretty much replaced with Divine Insight in 3.5.  But that doesn't work well off a wand (it's CL based).  Magecraft might be better (+5 for a first level spell) but I really don't like having to burn two charges off wands per day just to function.  So, I don't think this works well... I'd rather have the skill points to take ten and make the poison when needed.  

btw, would you say it's impossible for Aid Other to work for that check? Just asking you know, I'd hate to say you can Aid Other on craft skill checks then listen to you talk about how a power is creating it and so you ignore skill rules.

That would be a DM call.  I'm not sure how anyone could aid you, unless they're sitting there telling you how the poison is made while you manifest the power... that might work?  Maybe?

Have you not seen the various threads about skills and the posts here. Anyone can hit a certain level of proficiency with skills with little to no effort. Everything the Expert has Giacomo could replicate with a small handful of gold. On that token you could claim I am supporting it.

He proved quite clearly that, try as he might, he could not do so.

Thing is, Skillmonkey is a term for people with disabilities. You only take up that role because combat & god are covered, and it's not that god or anyone with UMD can't do your trait better, they just have better things to do instead. With a minor expenditure you can pretend to be a Skillmonkey while playing your class, like my choice of a scout style uber charging Monk which when compared to the Barbarian is several times more versatile.

Skillmonkey is a very useful and valid thing to be if you know what you're doing... and it can help cover combat (Knowledge Devotion or Iaijutsu Focus) in addition to other utility.   If you don't know the value of a skillmonkey, that just means you don't know how to play one.  The Expert build I made was a skillmonkey and was quite useful.  Not amazing (he's T5) but useful.

Get a mount, pay 21gp to train it for battle. Mount takes if move actions while the Monk can Full-Attack for FoF.

Mount doesn't take move actions, and comes war trained.

Full on replication of Handle Animal for 21gp while single handedly fixing FoF & flight. Ignored and unaddressed all because you thought the Monk has to be on naked and on foot and only the Expert can buy a private army.

Actually, I did exactly that in my build... it doesn't use Handle Animal because it's not needed.  Instead, I used powerful skills like Iaijutsu Focus, Intimidate, UMD, and Diplomacy.  And I never said the Monk couldn't be mounted, what I said was that many of his abilities don't work at all or don't work well while mounted, so it's not as good an option for him.  Read first, then comment.

And I mentioned the HP for completeness, plus it is 2 points more in Constitution the Expert must buy up for the same HP total. Like wise your entire comment in this area is "but I'm a necropolition!", yeah. And what if the Monk was to?

If the Monk was too then their hitpoints would be equal.  You have two choices.  Either the increased MAD means the Monk probably has a lower con score and thus doesn't have an HP advantage, or they're both Necropolitans anyway so the Monk doesn't have an HP advantage.  Either way, the HP advantage you claim for Monks doesn't exist.  My entire comment was NOT "but I'm a necropolitan" as I mentioned both of these facts.

As for talking about a Monk pretending to be an Expert. Again I ask what is a Monk iconic image?

Iconic is irrelevant.  We're talking about classes, which are just mechanical collections of abilities.  A Monk pretending to be an Expert is one who throws away his own class abilities to try and mimic the class abilities of an Expert (in this case, using valuable and powerful skills that most classes lack).  Thus, a Monk like Giacomos that tanks Dex and Wis in favor of Int, and then taking Skill Prodigy and Carmendine Monk, is "pretending to be an Expert" because he's gaining obscure class skills and skill points at the cost of losing his feats that could work with his actual skill points, as well as hurting his actual class abilities.  By comparison, an Expert doing this would be using Monks Belts and Superior Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick to act like a Monk, pumping Wis at the cost of his Int.  That would likewise be a bad idea.

I never once seem them as naked foot fighters like some of you do.

I don't either.  But I do generally see Monks as people who use Flurry of Blows to defeat enemies in combat.

Given that everyone can use skills and everyone can choose to Min/Max one or more aspects of their build, isn't choosing to max out skill capabilities an option for everyone? You canonize the Expert's role to be skills. Sure it is intended, but your overlooking one simple concept here. That's all the Expert can be. Not my fault if anyone can choose that role if they wanted and it's not my problem the Expert can't choose something else.

No one's saying that Monks can't use skills.  I'm saying that trying to prove the Monk is better than the Expert by turning him into a failed skillmonkey won't work, just like trying to prove an Expert is better by trying to turn him into a failed Monk won't work.

JaronK

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #656 on: June 21, 2011, 05:52:10 PM »
What books are allowed for this silly challenge? Oh, and I would really like to use pb 32, rather then 22, because it's more common and 22 is unfair towards the monk (yes, I know that the standard from the Players Handbook/DMG is 25, but most games that I saw, IRL and PbP, had 32).
And what level?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:53:49 PM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #657 on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »
Why would it be unfair to the monk since the monk does not have MAD?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #658 on: June 21, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »
Why would it be unfair to the monk since the monk does not have MAD?
???
Where did I say that a monk doesn't have MAD? you're confusing me with one of the monk fanbois.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #659 on: June 21, 2011, 06:09:17 PM »
What books are allowed for this silly challenge? Oh, and I would really like to use pb 32, rather then 22, because it's more common and 22 is unfair towards the monk (yes, I know that the standard from the Players Handbook/DMG is 25, but most games that I saw, IRL and PbP, had 32).
And what level?

I mean really, since the overall discussion is whether Monks and Experts are at an obviously different power level, you could pick almost anything you think would show up in normal campaigns, so long as someone else were willing to make an equivalent Expert.

I think 32 point buy is a relatively reasonable campaign rule (I've certainly seen it a number of times).  So's 4d6 drop the low die, though that's harder to do for this.  Pick one, really, though MAD should always at least be acknowledged.

Likewise, pick a books allowed and go with it, and hopefully someone else is willing to make an Expert that's equivalent.  I tend to go for all books allowed (including unupdated 3.0), but no more than one setting (though note that some setting specific stuff has been reprinted outside the setting, like Warforged in MMIII), and try to avoid anything super cheesy (YMMV) or too much Dragon magazine.  It's best if you can make something where you think most campaigns would allow it... the fewer DMs it would work with, the less relevant it is.

And most of all, use the Monk class to do what you do, or you're not proving what Monks can do.

JaronK