Author Topic: Expert vs Monk Challenge!  (Read 151706 times)

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Expert vs Monk Challenge!
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
I'm guessing Monks would have problems with 6 trolls.

Well, I can certainly say that I did not have problems with 6 trolls going for me at the same time. ;)

I'm waiting to see how this develops, and in particular how the expert fares when facing these encounters.

- Giacomo

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
Didn't you run away using that fabulous monk movement speed?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »
I'm guessing Monks would have problems with 6 trolls.

Well, I can certainly say that I did not have problems with 6 trolls going for me at the same time. ;)

I'm waiting to see how this develops, and in particular how the expert fares when facing these encounters.

- Giacomo

Ok, so should we set down some ground rules on what goes and what doesn't?

Here are my ideas, tell me if you need any fixes:
You can only consume half the worth of gold of your projected income from the encounter. (so since the average treasure for 6 trolls is 5800 gold, burning more than 2900 gold in wand charges and potions isn't viable)
Diplomacy is not allowed.
What should we do with Handle Animal? I don't think banning too many skills is fair towards the expert. On the other hand, I don't think training rocs is a viable tactic in a game if it involves dungeons.
Standard WBL
We'll do 4 of the challenges and then get a rest, and then do 4 more, and then get a rest and then do 4 more. The one who wins the most of them will be the winner and thus win the title as the BEST TIER 5 CLASS EVARR!

Sources allowed? Well, as you could have guessed I'd like to have Oriental adventures, but don't care about most other sources, except perhaps for complete scoundrel and complete adventurer. So should we go with BoED, Oriental, Completes and Races off, in addition to the core books?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2011, 12:52:35 AM »
I think as long as the Monk picks up UMD (lv10 right? that's 6 ranks + 2 circumstantial + 5 competence + 3 skill focus(eat my bonus feats) + 1 nymph's kiss = 15% chance of failure) and UPD (ditto) the Expert gets to learn why he sucks. Everything you can do (which is skill only loser) anyone can do better (in context of I can do the same, AND ACTUALLY HAVE CLASS ABILITIES AS WELL).

Validating skills to be better than a class that gives still and class features is like a logical exception akin to i = 2, in highest value is better 0 > i. Like an electron is better than electricity, or a the bleach is more fun than the pool. Srsly, you get one thing and try to say it's better than the superior product that offers it with bonuses.

You should make this entertaining and Fighter vs Monk it.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2011, 12:57:16 AM »
Like an electron is better than electricity, or a the bleach is more fun than the pool
What.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2011, 01:07:43 AM »
I think as long as the Monk picks up UMD (lv10 right? that's 6 ranks + 2 circumstantial + 5 competence + 3 skill focus(eat my bonus feats) + 1 nymph's kiss = 15% chance of failure) and UPD (ditto) the Expert gets to learn why he sucks. Everything you can do (which is skill only loser) anyone can do better (in context of I can do the same, AND ACTUALLY HAVE CLASS ABILITIES AS WELL).
What about level 5?  What about scrolls?  Where's the +5 competence coming from?  What's the +2 circumstance?

At 10th level, an Expert gets 13 (ranks) + 5 (Cha) + 3 (skill focus) + 3 (Circlet of Persuasion) for a bonus of +24 with most items and an extra +4 for checks related to scrolls thanks to Synergy bonuses from Knowledge (Arcana) and Deciper Script.  That's a 100% chance to activate 9th-level scrolls, not a 15% chance to activate wands.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2011, 02:03:50 AM »
You mean 15% chance to fail to activate wands.

Still, the point stands.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2011, 03:30:51 AM »
Like an electron is better than electricity, or a the bleach is more fun than the pool
What.

He's clearly trying to make a joke about Kubo Tite and drowning someone, but I don't understand it either.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
Congratulations Soro, you just used 2 feats to do the same thing the Expert will do with 1/9th of his skill points, 4 feats on 2/9th if you want UPD as well. Now you have only your 3 bonus feats and one more feat. And the Expert is still better at activating wands than you.

Oh, also I'd like to know where the +5 competence bonus comes from, since an expert can probably mimic that. Mr. Expert could easily do 9 ranks, + 2 circumstance +5 competence. Then he would have 0% chance of failing to activate his wands.
Not mention what X-codes already said, he can use level 9 scrolls reliably.

Anyway, my point still stands Giacomo, what sources should we allow for the same game test?

EDIT: Oh yeah, fighter is tier 5 as well, a fighter vs. monk would probably be in the fighters favour, but that is a test for another time.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:07 AM »
What about level 5?  What about scrolls?  Where's the +5 competence coming from?  What's the +2 circumstance?

At 10th level, an Expert gets 13 (ranks) + 5 (Cha) + 3 (skill focus) + 3 (Circlet of Persuasion) for a bonus of +24 with most items and an extra +4 for checks related to scrolls thanks to Synergy bonuses from Knowledge (Arcana) and Deciper Script.  That's a 100% chance to activate 9th-level scrolls, not a 15% chance to activate wands.
Less charisma, more masterwork tools.

Handy Links

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »
A masterwork tool for UMD likely makes DMs leery, and probably isn't the way the rules are intended.  Besides, an optimized expert should easily have 20 Charisma by level 10, even if it's after items.  Afterall, the best skills in the game are all Charisma based, and getting a 14 Int to round out his skill picks isn't hard, even with a modest investment in charisma at the beginning.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
Masterwork tools of anything not listed somewhere else have this tendency to make me leery until I figure out how to justify it.

I justified it for Lucid Dreaming since I know how to use my watch IRL to give a bonus on the check, hence a masterwork watch should do it better! Right?  :p

Use Magic Device should function slightly more like a disguise kit. You smear elf's blood on your fingers to convince an item you're an elf, tap it with a holy symbol while convincing it you're turning undead, rubbing a bit of bat guano between your fingers while musing on how you're definitely able to cast fireball, and smash a few gems just to get a nice threat across if it doesn't do what you say.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
Congratulations Soro, you just used 2 feats to do the same thing the Expert will do with 1/9th of his skill points, 4 feats on 2/9th if you want UPD as well. Now you have only your 3 bonus feats and one more feat. And the Expert is still better at activating wands than you.

Oh, also I'd like to know where the +5 competence bonus comes from, since an expert can probably mimic that. Mr. Expert could easily do 9 ranks, + 2 circumstance +5 competence. Then he would have 0% chance of failing to activate his wands.
Not mention what X-codes already said, he can use level 9 scrolls reliably

The point actually is that the Monk can do everything the Expert can, and can still do other things. What is the Expert going to do with the rest of his feats that the Monk can't do with his? The Expert is meaningfully better at UMD for part of the game, and I suppose 9th level spells are going to be gamebreakingly awesome, but they can't be a regular thing unless you like fucking your WBL in the ass. The Expert can easily mimic the +5 competence item (because really, how does anybody not realize that's where it came from? this is the most basic possible skill optimization), but it doesn't really matter. As you get past level 10, the gap between the Expert and the Monk closes, even if the Monk does nothing but cross-class ranks and buy competence items.

But, hey, the Fighter is arguably better than the Wizard for the first level or two (the Wizard gets essentially a save-or-die 2 to 3 times per day, but random chance is so huge a factor that it's got about a 50% chance of working on any given target, which is little better than the odds of a Fighter killing something) and is widely considered to be an acceptable choice up until around level 7 or so, and I don't see anybody arguing that the Fighter is better than the Wizard just because it has some advantages for the first chunk of the game that most people play during. The late game differences aren't as extreme in this case, obviously, but barring book-throwing shenanigans like spamming war dogs at level 1, I really don't see why having a few more ranks in skills makes or breaks the class.

Incidentally, Apprentice to a spellcaster is the way to go here as far as feats for nabbing UMD as a class skill.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »
At 0.52 you see a masterwork tool for UMD

The point actually is that the Monk can do everything the Expert can, and can still do other things. What is the Expert going to do with the rest of his feats that the Monk can't do with his? The Expert is meaningfully better at UMD for part of the game, and I suppose 9th level spells are going to be gamebreakingly awesome, but they can't be a regular thing unless you like fucking your WBL in the ass. The Expert can easily mimic the +5 competence item (because really, how does anybody not realize that's where it came from? this is the most basic possible skill optimization), but it doesn't really matter. As you get past level 10, the gap between the Expert and the Monk closes, even if the Monk does nothing but cross-class ranks and buy competence items.

Ok, so where does it come from?

Anyway, I'm not sure what the expert is going to use his feats at, so far I'm sure what he'll use his skill points at: UMD, Diplomacy, Handle Animal and Iaijutsu Focus. If you want to mimic all of those as a monk, you need to use 3-4 feats on it.

But, hey, the Fighter is arguably better than the Wizard for the first level or two (the Wizard gets essentially a save-or-die 2 to 3 times per day, but random chance is so huge a factor that it's got about a 50% chance of working on any given target, which is little better than the odds of a Fighter killing something) and is widely considered to be an acceptable choice up until around level 7 or so, and I don't see anybody arguing that the Fighter is better than the Wizard just because it has some advantages for the first chunk of the game that most people play during. The late game differences aren't as extreme in this case, obviously, but barring book-throwing shenanigans like spamming war dogs at level 1, I really don't see why having a few more ranks in skills makes or breaks the class.

I agree, which is why this challenge is set at level 10. After the 7th level fuck up in power usually happens.
A lot of people do argue that a level 2 fighter is better than a level 2 wizard though, and this particular thread is arguing that a 10th level expert can easily handle the same tasks as a 10th level monk. If the monk spends all his non-bonus feats on making up for what the expert gets in skills, the expert can use his most broken feats to a better effect than the monk. If the monk does not make up for what the expert gets in skills, the expert can use his most broken skills to make up for what the monk gets in raw combat ability.

And yeah, you can use the apprentice feat to grab UMD as a class skill. But you lose one feat gaining something the expert has in his class chassis, if the monk is using precious resources like feats on just grabbing something the expert can already do, the expert have some features that are better than the monk, perhaps instead of grabbing apprentice, the expert could grab nymphs kiss, or faerie mysteries initiate to get more Hp? Or whatever other feat he wanted that he found more useful getting, because he wouldn't want to use feats to get the meaningless abilities the monk has.
And since monks can't use a lot of their useful class features if they don't put their abilities a certain way, they lose even more skill points as they can't buff intelligence.
The frailty of the monk is his bunch of meaningless class features that require odd ability scores to function, and even if you totally ignore these, you still have a bad feat chassis, as well as next to no proficiency with armour.

So lets talk about what the monk has going for him over the expert:
The only things I can see that the monk really has going for him is 4 bonus feats, the evasions and the good saving throws. Everything else is just plain bad or not really worth anything. The 4 bonus feats the monk gets aren't really that good if you don't use sources to exchange them, a monk that wants UMD really doesn't have the strength to be a tripper against most monsters, so improved trip is not good, and disarm is worse against most monsters, combat reflexes or deflect arrows, well combat reflexes require a decent dex to be worthwhile, and that monsters don't want to be in close combat with you or some other thing that grants AoOs, but the monk doesn't really have that. Stunning fist is actually decent as stunned is a nice debuff, but the check is too low to matter all that much, and yes it requires wisdom.
The evasions and the saving throws are sure nice. But is it really worth that much over choosing your skills and more skill points per level?

But if you are so confident in the monks abilities, why don't you build a 25 point buy level 10 monk who can pass a level 10 same game test.

I'm not overconfident that the expert will win, but I still think he can handle more tasks than a monk can, and handle some tasks better.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
Here's what it boils down to: the expert has a useful role in the party by being a low tier skillmonkey, the monk really doesn't have a useful niche.

The monk in this case is trying to out-expert the expert, the expert isn't trying to out-monk the monk....even though he could easily do so with a few feats (Improved unarmed strike and superior unarmed strike) and a few magic items (monk's belt, boots of spring and striding).

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
If we're arguing specifically at 10th level, then yeah, okay, I'd estimate they're probably on par (because the monk probably isn't devoting all of its resources to meeting the Expert's skill optimization at any given time, catching up will take more levels), and depending on the particular challenges and the extent to which you're willing to blow wealth on consumables, the Expert might come out ahead. I misunderstood, I suppose, because I thought we were arguing about the classes holistically; over the course of 20 levels, I think the Monk reaches a point where it can do everything it would ever want to with UMD or whatever, and doesn't have to constantly fall behind the wealth curve in the process (which becomes more and more important at higher and higher levels) because casting from a scroll isn't literally the only thing it can do in a round (I mean, it's a Monk, so it's the best thing it can do in any given round, but hey, it's possible it's not the best thing from a cost/benefit point of view). At which point it might as well be an Expert with all good saves and an extra hit point per level.

I will say I hadn't reckoned on Iaijutsu, though, that changes the game a bit. Must've missed it in earlier posts, my bad. I don't play with it, so it always slips my mind.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »
My kitty avatar just asked me why I bumped this thread ...  ;)

10th level should be easy.
4 feats apiece, skills, and a few visits to a mid level Magic Mart.

ninjarabbit - don't move the goalposts now ...  ;)  ;)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2011, 01:52:25 AM »
Congratulations Soro, you just used 2 feats to do the same thing the Expert will do with 1/9th of his skill points, <snip> and the rest of my post is troll food and me jerking around.
I know right? 3 bonus feats and two of them is all it took to replicate all of the Expert's usefulness. Meanwhile, the Expert is burning one of his skill points per level on Iaijitsu Focus to catch up to the superior unarmed damage of the monk (and he never will) and speaking of catching up. The Monk has +4 to his Fort & Reflex saves over the Expert at level 10, what is that about in gold value? Heck gold value of class features indeed, Evasion is 40,000gp and Improved doesn't have a price. Maybe if someone took the time to measure Class Features in gold value you could rate classes fairly.

And Masterwork Tool(UMD) is rules. Complaining you don't think you as a DM would allow it because, well you just want to ban hammer it, is your problem. Not mine. Bauglir is right, you failed basic optimization. No wonder the only thing I see you doing here is trolling this thread.

@Sin
My bleach in a pool had nothing to do with the manga Bleach, but rather the chlorine used to sanitize swimming pools.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2011, 02:28:51 AM »
Well, the monk only really needs skill prodigy to get the expert's class skills.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:16 AM »
And Masterwork Tool(UMD) is rules. Complaining you don't think you as a DM would allow it because, well you just want to ban hammer it, is your problem. Not mine. Bauglir is right, you failed basic optimization. No wonder the only thing I see you doing here is trolling this thread.
"Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack. "

Perhaps you can clear something up for me, Soro. Does the "if any" part mean that there are some skills that cannot benefit from a masterwork tool?