Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186360 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #820 on: October 23, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »
q 215. what is the level adjustment for the paragon template out of the epic level handbook?
A215: There's no official LA for it, but the consensus across various boards was that it was in the range of +15 to +20.
q 230. What was the formula used to figure that out? The example says ecl 26, but its with a mind flayer.

I'm not seeing a listed ECL for a paragon mind flayer.  Where exactly is it? 

Q 234 What's the lowest AC you can possibly ever have? Zero? Or can you go in the negatives? If AC can not go below 0 does that mean that a person can not use Reckless Charge for more than the number that leads to 0? What happens if you want to Rage and/or Frenzy?
A 234 Just like attack bonuses can go into negative numbers, there's no reason AC shouldn't be able to go negative.
That's what I wondered, but what's to stop you from doing what you can to have -56 for an AC? Unless you roll a 1, you're always going to get hit anyways. That is unless of course the guy's got -57 for an attack.

Reckless charge is a fixed -4 penalty unless there's a more recent version than Miniatures Handbook.  The only variable AC penalty I can think of is heedless charge (part of shock trooper), but that is limited by your base attack bonus.  I don't know how you'd get down to -57. 
It was just a number I pulled out of my @$$, and yes he has shock trooper too.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #821 on: October 23, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
There's a spell which gives -20 to hit.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #822 on: October 23, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
Fair enough. I guess if you're low enough, you'd be in the negatives, and not be able to hit AC 10.

Bump
Q 233 Book of Vile Darkness says the Mortal Hunter needs to have the skill "Speak Language (Common)". You don't actually need to put a rank in there if you speak it normally, do you?

All good. Just found it in the Dungeon Magazine example that it apparently doesn't. So long as they can speak it, by whatever means, it counts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:45:23 PM by kevin_video »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #823 on: October 23, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »
Q235: What Divine feats are good for a Dread Necromancer to use?  Unfortunately, the best (Divine Metamagic) can't be used for their spells.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #824 on: October 23, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »
Q235: What Divine feats are good for a Dread Necromancer to use?  Unfortunately, the best (Divine Metamagic) can't be used for their spells.

The devotion feats have some good choices, animal devotion can be neat.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #825 on: October 23, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

The devotion feats have some good choices, animal devotion can be neat.

Earth isn't terribly optimized, but is quite fun to play with.  Air is good if you can stay out of melee range.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: October 23, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
Q 236 If you've got a human rogue/fighter/tempest, and favored classes are an issue, what's the most logical PrC a player should be taking?

Zebu

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #827 on: October 23, 2010, 09:03:42 PM »
Q 237  How do multiple spellcasting classes interact with the Versatile Spellcaster feat from Races of the Dragon?  For instance, if you're a Sorcerer 3/Wizard 1/Cleric 1, can you spontaneously cast all of the spells in your spell book and all of the spells on the Cleric spell list (of appropriate spell level) using Sorcerer slots?  What if you have ranks in another spontaneous class with spontaneous casting from a set list, like Beguiler?

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #828 on: October 23, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »
Q 236 If you've got a human rogue/fighter/tempest, and favored classes are an issue, what's the most logical PrC a player should be taking?

Dervish?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »

Dervish?
That could work. Take another level of rogue for the perform of 5 ranks, but I still need to find some way of getting the Combat Expertise feat before 18 HD. Any items that'd give you that, other than making your own with Heroics?

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #830 on: October 23, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »

Dervish?
That could work. Take another level of rogue for the perform of 5 ranks, but I still need to find some way of getting the Combat Expertise feat before 18 HD. Any items that'd give you that, other than making your own with Heroics?
Well, if your character is already in play, I don't know unless you are allowed re-training.  There isn't a specific magic item for Combat Expertise that I am aware of.
If you are using the Rogue Variant that trades Sneak Attack for Fighter bonus feats, then the awful pre-requisites shouldn't be a problem.
Also, you want to MAX the Perform(dance) skill since the duration of your Dervish Dance is based on it (1 round/2 ranks).

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #831 on: October 23, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »

Dervish?
Well, if your character is already in play, I don't know unless you are allowed re-training.  There isn't a specific magic item for Combat Expertise that I am aware of.
If you are using the Rogue Variant that trades Sneak Attack for Fighter bonus feats, then the awful pre-requisites shouldn't be a problem.
Also, you want to MAX the Perform(dance) skill since the duration of your Dervish Dance is based on it (1 round/2 ranks).
It's allowed, so I guess I could retrain and lose the +2d6 sneak attack for feats. Which brings me to my next question.

Q 237 What's better to take? Two-Weapon Spring Attack, or Two-Weapon Pounce? Personally I thought the latter would be the better way to go, but you can't back off once you're done.

Zebu

« Reply #832 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »
Bumping since kevin accidentally reused the number and I don't want it lost.

Q 237 How do multiple spellcasting classes interact with the Versatile Spellcaster feat from Races of the Dragon?  For instance, if you're a Sorcerer 3/Wizard 1/Cleric 1, can you spontaneously cast all of the spells in your spell book and all of the spells on the Cleric spell list (of appropriate spell level) using Sorcerer slots?  What if you have ranks in another spontaneous class with spontaneous casting from a set list, like Beguiler?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #833 on: October 23, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
Bumping since kevin accidentally reused the number and I don't want it lost.

Q 237 How do multiple spellcasting classes interact with the Versatile Spellcaster feat from Races of the Dragon?  For instance, if you're a Sorcerer 3/Wizard 1/Cleric 1, can you spontaneously cast all of the spells in your spell book and all of the spells on the Cleric spell list (of appropriate spell level) using Sorcerer slots?  What if you have ranks in another spontaneous class with spontaneous casting from a set list, like Beguiler?
It doesn't override the normal rules, so same class restrictions for your slots still apply.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #834 on: October 23, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
Q 237 What's better to take? Two-Weapon Spring Attack, or Two-Weapon Pounce? Personally I thought the latter would be the better way to go, but you can't back off once you're done.
Neither.  If you're a TWFer, you should take a feat that will help you get actual Pounce.  If you're a Spring Attacker, you should NEVER take Two-Weapon Fighting.

If you want to get more attacks off as a TWFer, then probably look into getting Combat Reflexes and Double Hit (MiniHB).  You can even do some interesting things if you make your off-hand weapon a Whip Dagger.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #835 on: October 23, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
Neither.  If you're a TWFer, you should take a feat that will help you get actual Pounce.  If you're a Spring Attacker, you should NEVER take Two-Weapon Fighting.

If you want to get more attacks off as a TWFer, then probably look into getting Combat Reflexes and Double Hit (MiniHB).  You can even do some interesting things if you make your off-hand weapon a Whip Dagger.
I ask because I'll be at 15 HD next level, and Tempest 5 is open, which gives you Two-Weapon Spring Attack for free. However, I was thinking of taking a Dervish after I retrained, which means that the feat at 15 HD is open. Still a TWFer either way though. Hence the issue. And I have no idea how you could ever get the actual Pounce as a feat. I mean, none. Except maybe Lion Totem Barbarian, or changing my human race to Catfolk through a ritual.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #836 on: October 23, 2010, 11:56:35 PM »
If you're a Dervish then just forget either feat, forget Tempest, and just take more Dervish levels for more Dervish Dances per day.

Another thing to consider is the Desert Tempest maneuver.  It's like a mini-Dervish Dance and can be had once per encounter for a 15k gold cloak-slot item.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: October 24, 2010, 04:43:47 AM »
Q 239 Since I skipped a number, I'll put on the right one now. I'm sure I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask anyways. What happens if you get evasion as a race, and then took levels of rogue, shadowdancer, monk, etc and get evasion from that? Do they overlap, or do they stack and give you Improved Evasion? Or, does it specifically have to say that it'll give you improved if you have it already?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #838 on: October 24, 2010, 04:48:42 AM »
Q 239 Since I skipped a number, I'll put on the right one now. I'm sure I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask anyways. What happens if you get evasion as a race, and then took levels of rogue, shadowdancer, monk, etc and get evasion from that? Do they overlap, or do they stack and give you Improved Evasion? Or, does it specifically have to say that it'll give you improved if you have it already?
That last one.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #839 on: October 24, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »
That last one.
That's what I figured, but I thought I'd double check in case racial evasion had some magical ability to allow the improved version.