Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186466 times)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #500 on: October 16, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
Q155: Is there a spell to throw a weapon?

Telekinisis maybe?

Lobo6717

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
Q156 Are there any prestige classes that by RAW increase Warlock's eldritch blast/invocations and increases sneak attack?

DM won't allow arcane trickster because it specifically calls for caster level arcane spell level :-(

Edit: got my facts backwards, but the question is still valid

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:21:03 PM by Lobo6717 »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #502 on: October 16, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
Has your DM seen page 18 of Complete Arcane? 

Lobo6717

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #503 on: October 16, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
I misspoke.. Arcane Trickster requires 3rd lvl arcane spells which, by RAW, a warlock does not qualify for

Zebu

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #504 on: October 16, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
Q157.  What happens when a Human Ghost/Wizard casts antimagic field?
The spell says incorporeal undead "wink out," but what happens to the field when that happens?  If the field disappears when they wink out, then...  *rubs forehead*

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #505 on: October 16, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »
Q157.  What happens when a Human Ghost/Wizard casts antimagic field?
The spell says incorporeal undead "wink out," but what happens to the field when that happens?  If the field disappears when they wink out, then...  *rubs forehead*
You have a headache for 10min/level.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #506 on: October 16, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »
Q156 Are there any prestige classes that by RAW increase Warlock's eldritch blast/invocations and increases sneak attack?

DM won't allow arcane trickster because it specifically calls for caster level arcane spell level :-(

Edit: got my facts backwards, but the question is still valid

Possibly Unseen Seer.  It either requires arcane caster level 1, or ability to cast 1st level arcane spells; I don't recall which.  Worst case, you dip one level of Wiz or Sorcerer, then use Unseen Seer to advance Warlock.

Another possibility, depending on what you want out of this character, would be to base it on Sorcerer, Wizard, or Warmage, and take Acidic Splatter for unlimited magical blasting.  The damage would effectively advance on pace with a Warlock (with a Wiz base), though the range would suck for the first several levels.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #507 on: October 16, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
Q156 Are there any prestige classes that by RAW increase Warlock's eldritch blast/invocations and increases sneak attack? DM won't allow arcane trickster because it specifically calls for arcane spell level :-(

I think there are tricks to get into classes like that, but here are some classes that require no tricks: daggerspell mage (Complete Adventurer), master of masks (Complete Scoundrel) [see assassin mask], mythic exemplar (Complete Champion) [see archetype advancement, Dardillion], sanctified one (Complete Champion) [see Olidammara, rogues' blessing].  They're not very good. 

Worst case, you dip one level of Wiz or Sorcerer, then use Unseen Seer to advance Warlock.

This is notably better than the prestige classes you can get into without such a dip. 

For upping damage, you might also want to look at hellfire warlock and demonbinder

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #508 on: October 16, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
Isn't ToB the book where the Errata changed halfway through to Complete Mage's?
We wish it had gotten that far.  It barely begun before it changed mid-word to Complete Mage.
I've talked to Richard Baker on the D&D forums, and he confirmed the ToB base class changes that you hear about here, and that was put up on the Paizo forums. Apparently, after working on other base classes for so long, and getting involved with 4th edition, he had forgotten how underpowered the core classes were. Afterwards, he realized his error and made the changes in his blog.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »
Q 158:
What are some good cleric touch spells to buff my party with, that I can chain via the Divine Ward feat(changes range of touch spells to close) and Chain Spell?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #510 on: October 16, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »
We wish it had gotten that far.  It barely begun before it changed mid-word to Complete Mage.
I've talked to Richard Baker on the D&D forums, and he confirmed the ToB base class changes that you hear about here...
???
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #511 on: October 16, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
I've talked to Richard Baker on the D&D forums, and he confirmed the ToB base class changes that you hear about here...
???
There weren't many changes. These were things like:
- All ToB classes can get their maneuvers back after combat, not during combat (they're like encounter powers now).
- The Crusader uses their maneuvers and stances just like the swordsage and warblade (no randomness of what you get).
- The warblade is d10 instead of d12.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #512 on: October 16, 2010, 09:04:22 PM »
???
- All ToB classes can get their maneuvers back after combat, not during combat (they're like encounter powers now).
- The Crusader uses their maneuvers and stances just like the swordsage and warblade (no randomness of what you get).

I still find it odd that you are the only one we ever hear about these changes from.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #513 on: October 16, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
???

I still find it odd that you are the only one we ever hear about these changes from.
Lots of people have heard of it, especially over at Paizo and the D&D forums, but few people actually wish to acknowledge it. Most of them think he was smoking crack (which explains 4th Ed). Like I said, I talked to Richard Baker myself, and still have his e-mail. I don't know how frequently he checks his mail, but it took about a month before I got a reply back from him about this.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #514 on: October 16, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »
Mind posting the changes?
You've mentioned three of them but if there are any more of them it'd be nice to know what they are.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
Mind posting the changes?
You've mentioned three of them but if there are any more of them it'd be nice to know what they are.
Those three are the ones I remember off of the top of my head. The only other one that I remember is actually "as per the DM". The warblade's ability to meditate to switch out their Weapon Focus/Specialization tree from piercing to slashing to X is either taken out, or you give it to the fighter too.

EDIT: WotC Community is finally working. Here's the e-mail.

Received: Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 04:20pm

Hi, Kevin -- Sorry for the late reply. I don't have any copies of the old post either, so if it's gone, it's gone. The suggestions below look familiar to me as they pertain to a discussion about how to move the Tome of Battle into more compliance with 4e as it finally appeared. Check the website for the errata. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

General: No recharge mechanic. You use up all of your readied maneuvers in an encounter, that's it, you wait until next encounter. The recharge mechanic in retrospect seems like a clunky add on, and it undermines resource management.

Crusaders: Your readied maneuvers are no different than anyone else's. No "two maneuvers randomly chosen" to start. This was the "automatic recharge" mechanic for the crusader, and it turned out to make the class more complicated than it needs to be.

Warblade: Hit dice move back down to d10. These guys are suppose to be technique fighters, and while they are front line warriors, there is no need for them to be the damage sponges that barbarians and knights are, because its not really their purpose.

DM option. Cut out Weapon Aptitude as an ability. Not only does this not make much sense, but it intentionally steals the fighters only real exclusive ability, and then makes it better. If Warblades are suppose to replace fighters in your campaign, fine, but if they both exist, let the fighter have his moment in the sun and cut this out of the Warblade. Or... if both exist, give it to the fighter as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:24:14 PM by kevin_video »

Lobo6717

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #516 on: October 16, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »
Q 159 Do warlocks get iterative attacks with their Eldritch Blast when their BAB is high enough?

I didn't think they did, but I can't find any text that implies it.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #517 on: October 16, 2010, 10:23:35 PM »
A159: No. Eldritch Blast is a spell-like ability, which requires (by default) a standard action to use. (Eldritch Glaive is an exception as noted in its text.)

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #518 on: October 16, 2010, 10:26:06 PM »
Q155: Is there a spell to throw a weapon?

In addition to the aforementioned telekinesis, Whirling Blade, Complete Arcane p129, does just this and lets you use your casting stat for the bonuses.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #519 on: October 16, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
Kevin, the reason we reject those changes is because they were suggested for Pathfinder, not as eratta.  If they were intended for general use, they would not have been posted on the Paizo boards long before WotC (which I still doubt that they were ever on WotC).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.