Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186365 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #280 on: October 10, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »
Q 98: Is there an option to appy a fear effect when dealing damage that isn't based purely on a charge?  The idea is Never Outnumbered + Imperious Command shtick and then spank everyone within 40' (sweeping strike as a Powerful Build Large creature with a spiked chain) to keep them cowering until they're all dead.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2010, 05:26:49 PM »
Q98 Q99What are the easiest ways of getting Circle Magic Leader and/or the ability to participate in Circle Magic? I know of Hathran, Red Wizard and Halruan Elder (can you tell I have Realms books only?). What are the others? Any setting/source is fine as long as it's WotC/Dragon.

Goddamnit Kevin.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
Q 99: Is there an option to appy a fear effect when dealing damage that isn't based purely on a charge?  The idea is Never Outnumbered + Imperious Command shtick and then spank everyone within 40' (sweeping strike as a Powerful Build Large creature with a spiked chain) to keep them cowering until they're all dead.

This only gets you 20 feet of reach.

Powerful Build does nothing for you to increase reach. Your reach is determined from YOUR size, not your weapon's size. Reach weapons only double your reach. It doesn't matter if you somehow were wielding a colossal sized spiked chain and were a large sized creature. You would still only get 10 feet of base reach, doubled for using a reach weapon.

Sweeping Strike does nothing for you to increase the maximum distance between you and your threatened squares, "practical reach" so to speak. Your new adjacent square must be one you already threaten.

I would suggest picking up some of the following:
Aberration Blood + Inhuman Reach (Both Lords of Madness, feats) = +5 feet reach
Warshaper 3 (Complete Warrior, class) = +5 feet reach
Willing Deformity + Deformity (Tall) (Both Heroes of Horror, feats) = +5 feet reach (Requires medium size, but I don't think any group or DM will give three shits, so house rule)
Permanency Enlarge Person from NPC spellcaster (Both PHB, spells)= 2990 gp (2500 + 450 + 90) = +5 feet reach (Requires humanoid type)
Dancing Blade Form (Tome of Battle, Stance, Iron Heart 5): +5 feet reach during your turn
Extended Reach (Savage Species, feat): +5 feet reach to nonrigid attack form
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: October 10, 2010, 05:57:39 PM »
the exact ones, thank you very much mr. talore
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #284 on: October 10, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »
Q 98: Is there an option to appy a fear effect when dealing damage that isn't based purely on a charge?  The idea is Never Outnumbered + Imperious Command shtick and then spank everyone within 40' (sweeping strike as a Powerful Build Large creature with a spiked chain) to keep them cowering until they're all dead.
Dreadful Wrath?  Only within 20' though.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #285 on: October 10, 2010, 06:26:50 PM »
A99: The easiest way: PGtF Ethran feat == 1st level character can participate to circle magic. That is a prerequisite to Hathran in case you did not notice it.  :)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #286 on: October 10, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »
Dreadful Wrath?  Only within 20' though.
Avenging Executioner triggers an area, stacking fear effect every time you hit someone with a sudden strike, but it won't make them cower through Imperious Command and it doesn't affect creatures with more HD than you.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: October 10, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »
Q98 Q99What are the easiest ways of getting Circle Magic Leader and/or the ability to participate in Circle Magic? I know of Hathran, Red Wizard and Halruan Elder (can you tell I have Realms books only?). What are the others? Any setting/source is fine as long as it's WotC/Dragon.

Goddamnit Kevin.
Hey, I looked and I came up with that number. Not my fault that not everyone bolds their questions.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #288 on: October 10, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
Q 95:
Can anyone recommend a couple (few) non-gish melee heavy damage dealing builds that are potent through the leveling process and not just at high levels?  I've been looking for a few days and haven't found much.

Warblade 20
Crusader 20
Barbarian 20 (with Lion's Pounce and Whirling Frenzy, basically grab all the ACFs you can)
Halfling Ubercharger
Hood

Anything along these lines without any magic item/mount requirements?  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:22:58 PM by MrBumberdumble »

Archao

« Reply #289 on: October 10, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
Q 95:
Can anyone recommend a couple (few) non-gish melee heavy damage dealing builds that are potent through the leveling process and not just at high levels?  I've been looking for a few days and haven't found much.

Warblade 20
Crusader 20
Barbarian 20 (with Lion's Pounce and Whirling Frenzy, basically grab all the ACFs you can)
Halfling Ubercharger
Hood

Hood can do quite well with only feats. A 6th level Fighter with 18 Strength could do at least 70 damage per hit.

What kind of restrictions are you dealing with on items and mounts?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:57:17 PM by Archao »

MrBumberdumble

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #290 on: October 10, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
Q 95:

Warblade 20
Crusader 20
Halfling Ubercharger
Hood

Hood can do quite well with only feats. A 6th level Fighter with 18 Strength could do at least 70 damage per hit.

What kind of restrictions are you dealing with on items and mounts?

It's going to be a very low magic campaign as far as items are concerned.  As far as the mounts go, I've been playing with this guy a long time, and he has a tendency to kill off mounts/familiars/henchmen/companions etc.

Which of the Hood builds would work best with a low magic item campaign?  Also, what about the King of Smack build?  Does that fair well at low/mid levels?  It appears as though it would start pretty slow.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
Q100: "Active abjuration spells within 10 feet of each other for 24 hours or more create barely visible energy fluctuations. These fluctuations give you a +4 bonus on Search checks to locate such abjuration spells." What is the RAW DC formula to search for an abjuration spell?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »
Q100: "Active abjuration spells within 10 feet of each other for 24 hours or more create barely visible energy fluctuations. These fluctuations give you a +4 bonus on Search checks to locate such abjuration spells." What is the RAW DC formula to search for an abjuration spell?
Seems like it would be around the DC to find a magic trap (25+spell level).  Persistant spell effects appear to be counted as magic traps - see spike growth.

Note: Magic traps such as spike growth are hard to detect. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find a spike growth. The DC is 25 + spell level, or DC 28 for spike growth (or DC 27 for spike growth cast by a ranger).
Planetouched Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2010, 01:51:03 AM »
Q101: The PC's are fighting something nasty on a hillside.  One of the PC's gets hurt badly and finds himself up-hill from the monster, but still in it's threatened area.  Can he withdraw up the hill and avoid an AoO? (note that moving up an incline costs two squares of movement, which would prevent a 5-ft step, for example).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: October 11, 2010, 02:16:13 AM »
Q101: The PC's are fighting something nasty on a hillside.  One of the PC's gets hurt badly and finds himself up-hill from the monster, but still in it's threatened area.  Can he withdraw up the hill and avoid an AoO? (note that moving up an incline costs two squares of movement, which would prevent a 5-ft step, for example).

A101:
Withdraw is a double-move action where the first square you move from doesn't count as threatened. As long as that's the edge of the monster's threatened range, the PC should get away unscathed.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #295 on: October 11, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »
Q102: If I take four levels of the ghost progression, assuming I take them every few levels in order to buy off say, 3 of them, does that mean I am now Ghost 1/Something X? but with the abilities of a Ghost 4?  Halp.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #296 on: October 11, 2010, 02:50:39 AM »
Q102: If I take four levels of the ghost progression, assuming I take them every few levels in order to buy off say, 3 of them, does that mean I am now Ghost 1/Something X? but with the abilities of a Ghost 4?  Halp.
You're a ghost 4/Something X, but with an ECL of X+1.

Same as if you'd bought off three levels of a normal +4 LA.
Planetouched Handbook

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2010, 03:33:38 AM »
A99: The easiest way: PGtF Ethran feat == 1st level character can participate to circle magic. That is a prerequisite to Hathran in case you did not notice it.  :)

I can't read english apparently. thanks. that makes this easy.

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2010, 06:43:57 AM »
Q103:
Is there an official ruling on whether you can ignore prerequisites for bonus feats or if you must still abide by prerequisite requirements when there is no text specifying either way?

Example of bonus feats that specify ignoring of prerequisites: Monk bonus feats.  PHB page 41
Example of bonus feats that specify requiring prerequisites being met: Fighter bonus feats.  PHB page 38
Example of bonus feats that do not specify either way: Eberron Bard exchanging songs for bonus feats from a list.  EbCS page 34

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2010, 06:57:58 AM »
Q103:
Is there an official ruling on whether you can ignore prerequisites for bonus feats or if you must still abide by prerequisite requirements when there is no text specifying either way?

Example of bonus feats that specify ignoring of prerequisites: Monk bonus feats.  PHB page 41
Example of bonus feats that specify requiring prerequisites being met: Fighter bonus feats.  PHB page 38
Example of bonus feats that do not specify either way: Eberron Bard exchanging songs for bonus feats from a list.  EbCS page 34
This is far from a simple question.  The rules are somewhat inconsistent.
Planetouched Handbook