Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186364 times)

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
Q83: Can anybody think of a non-living construct that lacks magic immunity but is still immune to ability damage and fatigue?

Q84: Is the extra d4 damage dice from Arcane strike and the bonus damage from Arcane Boost applied to critical hits?
A84
unless there are some exceptions that I cannot think of at the moment, then all constructs are immune to ability damage and fatigue.
so, to answer your question ... any construct that is not a "golem". (though there might be some non-golem constructs that are also immune to magic; but that would be the exception, not the rule)
Thanks, that was A83 by the way. But again, thanks. Nothing came to me right away.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Q81
Does the Urban Companion Alternate Class Feature of the Druid Qualify for Improved Familiar Feat, as it is described as being identical to the Sorcerer's Summon Familiar Class Feature?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

genuine

• Email
« Reply #222 on: October 08, 2010, 09:15:41 PM »
Q85: A situation: A character is using the pincer staff from Underdark to grapple an opponent. The character is under the influence of an enlarge person spell, so has his foe grappled at 20' away. The spell wears off, reducing the reach to 10'. What happens to the grapple? On one hand, his foe is 20' away, and his reach is only 10', implying that the grapple effectively ends. On the other hand, it's a grapple - it also seems reasonable that someone gets dragged.

Thoughts?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
Q83: Can anybody think of a non-living construct that lacks magic immunity but is still immune to ability damage and fatigue?

Q84: Is the extra d4 damage dice from Arcane strike and the bonus damage from Arcane Boost applied to critical hits?
A84
unless there are some exceptions that I cannot think of at the moment, then all constructs are immune to ability damage and fatigue.
so, to answer your question ... any construct that is not a "golem". (though there might be some non-golem constructs that are also immune to magic; but that would be the exception, not the rule)
Thanks, that was A83 by the way. But again, thanks. Nothing came to me right away.
updated post .... check it:)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2010, 09:46:31 PM »
Q81
Does the Urban Companion Alternate Class Feature of the Druid Qualify for Improved Familiar Feat, as it is described as being identical to the Sorcerer's Summon Familiar Class Feature?
I'd say yes, since that's a benefit of having a familiar.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Archao

« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:37 PM »
Q85: A situation: A character is using the pincer staff from Underdark to grapple an opponent. The character is under the influence of an enlarge person spell, so has his foe grappled at 20' away. The spell wears off, reducing the reach to 10'. What happens to the grapple? On one hand, his foe is 20' away, and his reach is only 10', implying that the grapple effectively ends. On the other hand, it's a grapple - it also seems reasonable that someone gets dragged.

Thoughts?
I don't know of any official rulings on the matter, but I would have the character attempt another grapple using modifiers appropriate for the new size. If it fails, grapple broken, nobody moves. If they can keep hold of their foe, then either the foe will be pulled closer (depending on the grapple results, maybe they would have to have beat them by a certain amount) or the character will. But again, I don't have an official answer.

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2010, 11:13:40 PM »
Q86
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »
Q86

A86
I wasn't able to find any, but you can try your luck at : http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/index.php , which is a database of every 3.5 D&D spell.

Q87
Is there any way that a divine caster can get the full benefit of an arcane only prestige class. For example is there any way a Fighter 1/Cleric 5 can take levels in Eldritch Knight and actually advance casting?

lianightdemon

« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2010, 01:07:25 AM »
Q88

Instant Metamagic (Su)
Once per day, a 7th level or higher incantatrix can apply a single metamagic feat she possesses to a spell without preparing it that way beforehand (if she prepares spells) or increasing its casting time (if she does not prepare spells). Thus, a wizard's prepared spell works as if she had prepared it with the metamagic feat, but it does not use a higher level spell slot. A sorcerer or bard's spell is cast without adjusting its casting time, but it works as if he had cast it with the metamagic feat. A 9th level incantatrix can use this power twice per day.

If a sorcerer/incantatrix 7 has the rapid metamagic feat and thus do not have he increased casting time. Is she able to use this ability as a wizard and cast a spell without using a higher level spell slot? 

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »
A88

Just by reading that passage, while a bit muddled I think a Sorcerer gets the Wizard's benefit in addition to not having an increase in casting time. If that doesn't float your (or your DM's) boat the key difference is spell preparation, not casting time. There is a feat called 'Arcane Preparation' in Complete Arcane that lets a Sorcerer prepare spells, a Sorcerer doing that should definitely get the full benefit of that ability.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2010, 01:31:17 AM »
Q89: What is a good way to get a fire source away from the party for Pyrotechnics?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Shinji

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2010, 01:41:42 AM »
Q89:  Use Combust (SC) to set a peasant or farm animal on fire, wait for them to run away screaming.

Q90:  How long do the Echoed spells created by the Echoing Spell feat (Secrets of Xendrik) hang around?  And do they actually occupy spell slots?  Basically, can I echo my entire set of prepared spells the day before and then prepare new spells the next day, doubling my available spells?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2010, 01:43:24 AM »
Q89: What is a good way to get a fire source away from the party for Pyrotechnics?
Candles cost 1 cp and weigh nothing.  Just throw one, or give it to your familiar.
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »
Candles cost 1 cp and weigh nothing.  Just throw one, or give it to your familiar.

What sort of action is it to throw a candle?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2010, 01:48:17 AM »
Probably standard.  It'd be best to have a raven familiar fly over as a move action and drop it as a free action.
Planetouched Handbook

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2010, 01:52:20 AM »
Probably standard.  It'd be best to have a raven familiar fly over as a move action and drop it as a free action.

Bleh, unfortunately I am a PF Sorcerer.  Other thoughts?  I have a candle with my Unseen Servant but they are slow and have to stay close.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2010, 01:57:03 AM »
I usually just get the party Big Dumb Fighter to throw an everlasting torch, but the candle/familiar thing looks better. Honestly, Pyrotechnics is one of my favourite second-level spells.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2010, 02:02:52 AM »
I usually just get the party Big Dumb Fighter to throw an everlasting torch, but the candle/familiar thing looks better. Honestly, Pyrotechnics is one of my favourite second-level spells.

I currently have the party Ranger shoot arrows on fire at no one in particular.  Unfortunately I have a tendency to go first.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
Q 90 Can you make a metamagic rod for any metamagic feat? Like say a metamagic rod of fell drain?

Q 91 After 20th level, can a wizard still add two spells per level to their book for free?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:28:55 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2010, 02:36:13 AM »
Pyrotechnics extinguishes the fire source, so that sounds expensive.
Planetouched Handbook