Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186476 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2010, 04:22:49 PM »
Q 31: How does one use the Lucid Dreaming skill to travel to a specific person's dreamscape? Or even a specific dreamscape in general?

Couldn't we use a combination of the Dream Travel spell and divinations spell to tell us exactly where to go?
That works. Thanks!
The skill itself covers the traveling, so just use a divination or so. You don't even need Dream Travel. Hell, since the skill doesn't even mention you having to know the other person, as written you might be able to just go to any dream with pinpoint accuracy without even knowing where you're going.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »
Q 31: How does one use the Lucid Dreaming skill to travel to a specific person's dreamscape? Or even a specific dreamscape in general?

Couldn't we use a combination of the Dream Travel spell and divinations spell to tell us exactly where to go?
That works. Thanks!
The skill itself covers the traveling, so just use a divination or so. You don't even need Dream Travel. Hell, since the skill doesn't even mention you having to know the other person, as written you might be able to just go to any dream with pinpoint accuracy without even knowing where you're going.

Sure you don't need dream travel but if you use it you could bring allies with you......

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
q33 Looking for list of ways to avoid Concentration. Specifically Illusions.

A33:
Feat: Familiar concentration.  
Spell: Sonorous Humm
Skill Trick: Swift Concentration
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
Q34: I don't quite understand Item Familiar.  Someone please explain? =D
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
Bump

Q 32 How does light sensitivity work if a hooded lantern is being shone at a creature? It just says daylight and sunlight. My guess is it'd still give you a -1 because it's like trying to fight someone shining a flashlight in your eyes.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
q 26a. can you put meta-magic enhancements on a wand? what are the ways to achieve this, without using prc's?
 q 26b. is the cap for a wand(non-epic) 4th level spells?

bump

seems to have been overlooked.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
q 26a. can you put meta-magic enhancements on a wand? what are the ways to achieve this, without using prc's?
 q 26b. is the cap for a wand(non-epic) 4th level spells?

bump

seems to have been overlooked.
A26a:Metamagic spell trigger feat from complete Mage...
A26b:Yes but what prevents you from using staffs in the exact same way?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2010, 07:28:54 PM »
Bump

Q 32 How does light sensitivity work if a hooded lantern is being shone at a creature? It just says daylight and sunlight. My guess is it'd still give you a -1 because it's like trying to fight someone shining a flashlight in your eyes.
A 32: No. Light sensitivity does not mention hooded lanterns specifically, and hooded lanterns do not function "as sunlight" or "as daylight".

From a Rules as Intended standpoint, a lantern shining in absolute darkness should give a -1 accuracy penalty (or something similar) to creatures with light sensitivity. It's a bright light.

Also, a hooded lantern can't be "shone at" anything. It radiates evenly in all directions. A bullseye lantern (PHB) can be directed.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »
Bump

A 32: No. Light sensitivity does not mention hooded lanterns specifically, and hooded lanterns do not function "as sunlight" or "as daylight".

From a Rules as Intended standpoint, a lantern shining in absolute darkness should give a -1 accuracy penalty (or something similar) to creatures with light sensitivity. It's a bright light.

Also, a hooded lantern can't be "shone at" anything. It radiates evenly in all directions. A bullseye lantern (PHB) can be directed.
Ah. Bullseye lantern was what I was meaning. But the -1 was what I was looking for.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »
Q34: I don't quite understand Item Familiar.  Someone please explain? =D

You really haven't focused your question enough unless you want an essay on every single concept which has related to item familiars ever. Just reading the source material will be equivalent to such a general essay and more true: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

The biggest advantage I hear about is the skill bonuses. If a character is focusing on a skill, they MUST possess Item Familiar or they are just not optimized.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:40:02 PM by Saxony »
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
Leave right away unless you have a significant advantage and know you can kill them outright or disable them so they die for certain due to Dreamheart environmental damage AND you have resistance 5 to every energy damage type. In which case, there is ZERO advantage gained in using Lucid Dreaming because you can already beat your foe in conventional combat.
You totally can buff up before entering their dream, and they're likely to be low on resources on account of being at the end of their adventuring day.  A lot of races have the needed resistances to be just patch up the environmental vulnerability with a couple of spells.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »
Leave right away unless you have a significant advantage and know you can kill them outright or disable them so they die for certain due to Dreamheart environmental damage AND you have resistance 5 to every energy damage type. In which case, there is ZERO advantage gained in using Lucid Dreaming because you can already beat your foe in conventional combat.
You totally can buff up before entering their dream, and they're likely to be low on resources on account of being at the end of their adventuring day.  A lot of races have the needed resistances to be just patch up the environmental vulnerability with a couple of spells.
You can also use scrolls to buff in your dreamscape before you go hunting. They won't be consumed once you wake up.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »
A26a:Metamagic spell trigger feat from complete Mage...

You can gain the benefit of that feat three times per day with a metamagic wand grip (Complete Mage). 

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »
Q34: Spontaneous caster with the Corrupt Arcana feat (which allows you to prepare corrupt spells from a spellbook). Ultimate Magus. Profit? (To clarify: can a spontaneous caster use the Corrupt Arcana feat to cheat his way into Ultimate Magus, then increase his sorcerer level on both ends? If so, why? If not, why not?)
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2010, 09:28:18 PM »
Q35: I googled Gnome Quickrazor and all I figured out is that it's from Forgotten Realms somewhere.  Anyone know what book?

Edit: Guess I'm crazy, it's in Races of Stone.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2010, 10:40:23 PM »
Q 36 Is there a Grim Reaper or Death creature in 3.5? I see the Dread Wraith, but it has Str - and no scythe.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
Q 36 Is there a Grim Reaper or Death creature in 3.5? I see the Dread Wraith, but it has Str - and no scythe.

A36  Entropic Reaper sounds like what you're looking for, CR 12, Libris Mortis.

There's also that Concordant monster thingy, which could probably be reskinned for it, and it's a higher CR.  MM III, I think.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »
Q37:  if I hit someone w/ a Spectral Dagger (MIC) do they get SR? 

Q37':  anyone think of a good no-SR, touch spell that deals a bit of damage as a touch attack?  I might get a modified Spectral Dagger for a character. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
That works. Thanks.

Q 38 The Evolved template. If you take that multiple times, does the fast healing stack? Go from 3 to 6 to 9 each round? How does that work with a creature that already have fast healing, like a vampire? Does that stack as well?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
That works. Thanks.

Q 38 The Evolved template. If you take that multiple times, does the fast healing stack? Go from 3 to 6 to 9 each round? How does that work with a creature that already have fast healing, like a vampire? Does that stack as well?
A38
as far as I can tell, yes.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.