Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186128 times)

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #900 on: October 26, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »
A259
blurstrike weapon (mic) probably does not cut it
wracking touch (spell compendium) could work

Lobo6717

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #901 on: October 26, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
A259

If somebody else (or a spell) has them grappled, I believe it denies them their Dex bonus

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #902 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
A259 the third:
I seem to recall rules somewhere (A&EG?) for using marbles to render an opponent flat-footed.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #903 on: October 26, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
Q259261: Assuming a) the opponent won init and is no longer flat footed, and b) no form of hiding, concealment, or invisibility is allowed; what other ways are there to get sneak attack?

I can think of flanking, attacking someone climbing or balancing (Any other easy ways to do this other than the grease spell?), and feinting.

Anything else come to mind?
A259261
there's also a skill trick for that (which unfortunately means that it can only be done once/encounter):
Acrobatic Backstab [Movement]
You dart past your opponent’s attacks, ending up perfectly positioned for a devastating counterattack.
Prerequisite: Tumble 12 ranks.
Benefit: If you succeed on a Tumble check to move through an enemy’s space, you can treat that enemy as flat-footed against the next melee attack you make against it on your current turn.
Your enemy must be standing on the ground or floor in order for you to use this trick.

A259 the third:
I seem to recall rules somewhere (A&EG?) for using marbles to render an opponent flat-footed.
this works simply by forcing a balance check, which definitionally makes them flat-footed.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #904 on: October 26, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »
Q262
Does having Spell-like Abilities mean I have an Arcane Caster Level? Trying to qualify for AcquireObtain Familiar.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #905 on: October 26, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »
Q263. Is there anything that grants extra Bardic Musics/day that's not a feat?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #906 on: October 26, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

There are items.....
One of them is songblade...
It is a +1 rapier tha gives +1 bardic music per day....
I am sure that there are others....
I will look them up.....

addition:there is also the JOYOUS STAR SONG which gives you a +1 bardic music per day....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:57:49 PM by betrayor »

Hitoshura

« Reply #907 on: October 26, 2010, 04:09:01 PM »

There are items.....
One of them is songblade...
It is a +1 rapier tha gives +1 bardic music per day....
I am sure that there are others....
I will look them up.....

addition:there is also the JOYOUS STAR SONG which gives you a +1 bardic music per day....

Thanks, pity there are so few, any additional help is welcome.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

« Reply #908 on: October 26, 2010, 05:01:43 PM »
Q262
Does having Spell-like Abilities mean I have an Arcane Caster Level? Trying to qualify for AcquireObtain Familiar.
A262: Yes. In general, SLAs can qualify you for CL requirements or the ability to cast particular spells, but not for the ability to cast spells of a given level. (Check Complete Arcane, page 72.)

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #909 on: October 26, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »
Q 264:

I am using the Fell Shot feat (which allows you to make an attack against a touch AC) in conjunction with the Manyshot feat (which requires one attack roll) to fire multiple arrows at a target. 

If I had the Splitting enchantment on my bow, which way would this scenario be resolved?
  • A.) The touch AC applies to both my normal Manyshot attacks, and my "split" Manyshot attack roll.
  • B.) The touch AC applies to both my normal Manyshot attack and all of my "split" arrows, which must be rolled separately.
  • C.) The touch AC applies to my normal Manyshot, but my "split" Manyshot attack roll is rolled against a normal AC.
  • D.) The touch AC applies to my normal Manyshot, but all arrows that are "split" are rolled against a normal AC separately.

Splitting
[spoiler]Any arrow or bolt fired from a splitting weapon magically splits into two missiles in mid-flight.
Both missiles are identical, sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile;
for example, a +1 splitting arrow splits into two +1 arrows in mid-flight.
Both missiles strike the same target.
Make a separate attack roll for each missile using the same attack bonus.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:04:17 PM by bananaphone »

« Reply #910 on: October 26, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »
A264: Regardless of how Manyshot and Fell Shot interact, any arrows affected by Fell Shot would split into two arrows, each of which would also be affected by Fell Shot. As given in the text of Splitting (which you've helpfully copied), "both missiles are identical, sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile". (Bolding mine.) Thus you'd have one attack roll for the first volley of arrows and one additional attack roll for the "split" arrows. But as I've noted, it's unclear whether all of the arrows from the original Manyshot are affected by Fell Shot.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #911 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »
Q262
A262: Yes. In general, SLAs can qualify you for CL requirements or the ability to cast particular spells, but not for the ability to cast spells of a given level. (Check Complete Arcane, page 72.)
Maybe generic caster level requirements, but not arcane caster level requirements.  Warlock invocations are the exception to that rule (and probably DFA invocations, too).

« Reply #912 on: October 26, 2010, 08:18:58 PM »
Q262
Maybe generic caster level requirements, but not arcane caster level requirements.  Warlock invocations are the exception to that rule (and probably DFA invocations, too).
Source? Complete Arcane makes no such distinction.

genuine

• Email
« Reply #913 on: October 26, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
Q 265:I can make a tumble check to reduce fall damage by 1d6. I can make a jump check to reduce fall damage by 1d6 (so long as it's voluntary). Can I do both to reduce damage when jumping down by 2d6?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #914 on: October 26, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »
Q 265:I can make a tumble check to reduce fall damage by 1d6. I can make a jump check to reduce fall damage by 1d6 (so long as it's voluntary). Can I do both to reduce damage when jumping down by 2d6?

Yes. You can also pass each check by 10 to take another 1d6 off each time. There's no upper limit on it, but just use Feather Fall.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #915 on: October 26, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »

Yes. You can also pass each check by 10 to take another 1d6 off each time. There's no upper limit on it, but just use Feather Fall.
I think there's actually a wonderous item somewhere that costs about 50 gold.  So long as you're carrying it, you get one free feather fall.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #916 on: October 26, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »
I think there's actually a wonderous item somewhere that costs about 50 gold.  So long as you're carrying it, you get one free feather fall.
Sharn city of towers: Feather Fall Talisman. 50 gp, CL 1, free action on any turn to use it, single use.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #917 on: October 26, 2010, 10:45:21 PM »
Q259: Assuming a) the opponent won init and is no longer flat footed, and b) no form of hiding, concealment, or invisibility is allowed; what other ways are there to get sneak attack?

I can think of flanking, attacking someone climbing or balancing (Any other easy ways to do this other than the grease spell?), and feinting.

Anything else come to mind?
Blind them, or stun them. Put them on a square effected by Grease.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #918 on: October 26, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »

For the tumble check, it's 15 points per d6.  Where are the rules for a higher jump check reducing the damage by more than 1d6? 

genuine

• Email
« Reply #919 on: October 26, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »

For the tumble check, it's 15 points per d6.  Where are the rules for a higher jump check reducing the damage by more than 1d6? 
From the SRD (rules on the Jump Skill):
If you intentionally jump from a height, you take less damage than you would if you just fell. The DC to jump down from a height is 15. You do not have to get a running start to jump down, so the DC is not doubled if you do not get a running start.

If you succeed on the check, you take falling damage as if you had dropped 10 fewer feet than you actually did.

Please note: I'm not asking about reducing fall damage, I'm asking if the reduction from a jump check stacks with the reduction from a tumble check.