Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186113 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #780 on: October 23, 2010, 06:20:47 AM »
A228
21 HD
it's measured by character level, not ECL (still trying to track down the source/page # ... I'll edit when I find it)
That's what I thought. I'll wait to hear back on the officialness, but I guess it's another house rule that the DM does.
I stand corrected .... apparently, it's ECL.
ELH, p.25, 3rd paragraph of the right-hand column of the side bar.
they use a specific example of a +5LA creature with fighter 13/blackguard 3 ... giving him an ECL of 21; states that he is indeed eligible for epic feats, etc.

Well, there you go.
Oh that's fine, I figured that was the case. I was talking about base saves and attack bonuses. If that fighter 13/blackguard 3 gained another level for ECL 22, and it was a class level, what would the increase be?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #781 on: October 23, 2010, 06:24:55 AM »
A228
21 HD
it's measured by character level, not ECL (still trying to track down the source/page # ... I'll edit when I find it)
That's what I thought. I'll wait to hear back on the officialness, but I guess it's another house rule that the DM does.
they use a specific example of a +5LA creature with fighter 13/blackguard 3 ... giving him an ECL of 21; states that he is indeed eligible for epic feats, etc.

Well, there you go.
Oh that's fine, I figured that was the case. I was talking about base saves and attack bonuses. If that fighter 13/blackguard 3 gained another level for ECL 22, and it was a class level, what would the increase be?
ah, I see what you're getting at ...
that is also handled by that very same sidebar ... in the cases of BAB and saves (and skill points; but that's handled in a different section), you use character level (not ECL).
but for all other cases, use ECL.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #782 on: October 23, 2010, 06:25:43 AM »
A228
21 HD

Well, there you go.
that is also handled by that very same sidebar ... in the cases of BAB and saves (and skill points; but that's handled in a different section), you use character level (not ECL).
And this didn't change for 3.5, right?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #783 on: October 23, 2010, 06:27:53 AM »
A228
21 HD

Well, there you go.
And this didn't change for 3.5, right?
just read through the "update" and the entire "epic characters" section in the DMG, and I see nothing that would contradict that.

so, no change.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #784 on: October 23, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »
just read through the "update" and the entire "epic characters" section in the DMG, and I see nothing that would contradict that.

so, no change.
Again, that's what I thought. Knew something was up.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #785 on: October 23, 2010, 06:33:25 AM »

so, no change.
oh?
do tell

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #786 on: October 23, 2010, 06:35:24 AM »

so, no change.
oh?
do tell
Nothing big enough for that. Just a house rule he came up with. Instead of character level, it's ECL. So if your ECL is 21, then at 22 HD, you get the BAB of a 22nd level epic character. I think that's how it works. I was confused, and just let him give me the numbers. It explains why my character's weaker than he should be for saves and stuff.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #787 on: October 23, 2010, 08:10:37 AM »
Suprisingly if say you did not have any class levels and you only had racial hit dice you wouldn't gain an epic attack and save progression,see for example the older dragons or even the epic dragons,....
I think that in order to make sense Ecl should be used only for Wealth.....
For  epic progression we should use hit dice but only if there are some class levels in the combination......
For epic feats anything from 21 hit dice  and above is eligible....
At least this is how I understand otherwise you have holes in the system...

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #788 on: October 23, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »
Suprisingly if say you did not have any class levels and you only had racial hit dice you wouldn't gain an epic attack and save progression,see for example the older dragons or even the epic dragons,....
For  epic progression we should use hit dice but only if there are some class levels in the combination......
I'm not sure what you're saying ...

it's all laid out in ELH, p.25, sidebar, right column.

further issue probably needs it's own thread.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #789 on: October 23, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
I'm not sure what you're saying ...

it's all laid out in ELH, p.25, sidebar, right column.

further issue probably needs it's own thread.

Well ok lets not derail the thread I will later check my sources and create a new thread.....

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #790 on: October 23, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
Q226: A friend of mine in an epic game needs a massive boost to spellcraft. I told him the 765,000 gp +120 item with four different types totally isn't worth the cost. How to do it?
How long does he need it for? What are his casting/alignment restrictions? What's the makeup of his party?

Several things come to mind:
-Artificers have the Skill Enhancement infusion, which grants an uncapped circumstance bonus to the chosen skill. It's only IL 1, so he could easily Extend its duration (ten minutes per CL) to last all day if necessary. For reference, the bonus is 2 plus half the artificer's CL.
-Artificers have the related Item Alteration infusion, which changes the bonus type that an item grants. Combine it with Spellcraft-boosting items...and Skill Enhancement on the Spellcraft-boosting items. This is IL 4, but it also lasts for ten minutes per level. And as infusions are usually cast on items rather than characters themselves, it doesn't fly afoul of the restrictions on combining spell effects.
-Book of Vile Darkness has the Power Leech spell (Corrupt 5), which grants its caster a +1 enhancement bonus to a chosen ability score per round it affects the target. The effect lasts for a round per CL on the target, so to double the enhancement bonus you just have to Extend the spell. (The effect on the caster lasts for ten minutes per CL.) It also deals one point of ability damage to the chosen score per round to the target, so you'll want to be able to heal the ability damage taken by your punching bag.

It's an epic game. He needs it for epic spells (naturally), so it should be available for a relatively long amount of time. We don't have any artificers in the party, though.

...Power Leech is awesome and I didn't know of it. My character suddenly gained a buttload of enhancement bonuses to all his ability scores.

Note though that it is a corrupt spell so you have to evil, or if your dm allows it you may be able to Umd it....
Incorrect. It's only Sanctified spells that carry an alignment restriction. (I asked to make sure of this two months back.) Mind you, Corrupt spells are still evil, so they're unavailable for certain good-aligned divine casters.

@ Kuroimaken: That may not work, given the same restrictions on Combining Spell Effects. (The reason Skill Enhancement + Item Alteration doesn't matter is that as above, they're not all cast on the same target.)

I'm casting them on Simulacrums of my character, who will then cast a spell to make themselves immune to stat damage/drain when they're closest to kicking the bucket.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

MK

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #791 on: October 23, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »
I'm making an undead spellcaster and I have a question regarding the familiar. Vampires lose their familiars if they aren't bats or rats. However, I'm playing a Necropolitan. Can I select any type of familiar I want, or do those restrictions also include Necropolitan characters?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: October 23, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
Since nothing is said about the Necropolitan I assume that you can use whatever familiar you want......

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #793 on: October 23, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »
I'm making an undead spellcaster and I have a question regarding the familiar. Vampires lose their familiars if they aren't bats or rats. However, I'm playing a Necropolitan. Can I select any type of familiar I want, or do those restrictions also include Necropolitan characters?
A 229

Unless stated otherwise (which it isn't), those restrictions are exclusive to vampires.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #794 on: October 23, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
q 215. what is the level adjustment for the paragon template out of the epic level handbook?
A215: There's no official LA for it, but the consensus across various boards was that it was in the range of +15 to +20.

q 230. What was the formula used to figure that out? The example says ecl 26, but its with a mind flayer. my friend who is arguing with me says that since the mind flayer is ecl 15 from SS, that the resulting paragon template is only LA 11. Basing it off 26-15=11. 
So obviously the template is way to powerful for only a LA 11. But he is still arguing with me.
  So I guess my question is: with out a doubt, how do I make my friend realize that this template is NOT LA 11, and he is just a moron?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #795 on: October 23, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
Better question is how is it overpowered for the loss of 11 class levels? Unless you're playing at level 50, you lose more than you gain despite its awesomeness. If you are, the game is broken as all fuck anyways.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: October 23, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
Q 230 What spell is it that copies nonmagical text?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #797 on: October 23, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
q 215. what is the level adjustment for the paragon template out of the epic level handbook?
A215: There's no official LA for it, but the consensus across various boards was that it was in the range of +15 to +20.

q 230. What was the formula used to figure that out? The example says ecl 26, but its with a mind flayer. my friend who is arguing with me says that since the mind flayer is ecl 15 from SS, that the resulting paragon template is only LA 11. Basing it off 26-15=11. 
So obviously the template is way to powerful for only a LA 11. But he is still arguing with me.
  So I guess my question is: with out a doubt, how do I make my friend realize that this template is NOT LA 11, and he is just a moron?

Actually by raw your friend is right....
Of course if you use the rules in savage species to calculate the la , it would be a different result but Wotc is known for its consistency.....

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #798 on: October 23, 2010, 03:49:03 PM »

Amantheusis. I probably butchered the spelling, but it's in SC.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #799 on: October 23, 2010, 03:50:38 PM »

Amantheusis. I probably butchered the spelling, but it's in SC.
That's it. Someone was trying to tell me that it was 3rd level, not 0 level.