Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186126 times)

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #720 on: October 21, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
Q 211:
If the Telekinetic Buffer power from Complete Psionic is augmented to activate its bull rushing feature, can it then be used on Huge or larger creatures, even if they are not slowed by the field itself on a failed save?

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #721 on: October 21, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
Q 212

Can you have 5 castings of energy immunity on you active at the same time for each element?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #722 on: October 21, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »
Q 212

Can you have 5 castings of energy immunity on you active at the same time for each element?

A 212 Inconclusive.  http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#combiningMagicalEffects

Edit: Same Effect with Differing Results section seems to imply that it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:50:33 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #723 on: October 21, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
Q 212

A 212 Inconclusive.  http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#combiningMagicalEffects
Yup, talk to your DM. If he views the "same magical effect" clause to be the "Energy Immunity" part, and not the "Energy Immunity (Fire)" or "Energy Immunity (Cold)" parts, then you can only have one. If he views the selection of a specific energy type to make it a different effect on you, then they stack.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #724 on: October 21, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »
Q 212 Can you have 5 castings of energy immunity on you active at the same time for each element?
A 212 Inconclusive.  Combining Magical Effects  Edit: Same Effect with Differing Results section seems to imply that it doesn't work.

The full text in the Player's Handbook really makes me think they didn't mean spells like energy immunity when they wrote it. 

Same Effect with Differing Results: The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once.  For example, a series of polymorph spells might turn a creature into a mouse, a lion, and then a snail.  In this case, the last spell in the series trumps the others.  None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #725 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
If it did work the other way you also couldn't use Resist Energy for different types, Ruin Delver's Fortune for different functions... yeah. I don't think so.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #726 on: October 21, 2010, 09:29:42 PM »
Q213: Is there a Sword and Board Handbook?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #727 on: October 21, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »
Q203: How does cowering interact with the other steps of fear? i.e. if Imperious Command is used on someone already shaken - what happens? Clearly in round 2 the enemy is frightened, but does he still cower normally in the second round?
A203: You are correct; cowering is the "highest" state of fear in D&D.

Although it is often applied in conjunction with fear effects, cowering is not a state of fear in the same way that shaken/frightened/panicked are, in the sense that applying these effects on their own, no matter how much you stack them, will not change a creature's state to "cowering" if the creature is able to flee. It is a separate condition which is simultaneously applied by Imperious Command, and which is also applied to a panicked creature which is cornered and unable to flee. A panicked creature which is cowering because it is unable to flee is still panicked.

If Imperious Command is used on a creature with an ongoing Shaken condition, the creature becomes frightened and cowering for one round, during which it suffers all penalties of the Frightened and Cowering conditions. (It does not, however, flee, unless it is somehow able to do so without taking an action, because Cowering prevents it from taking action.) On the second round, it is Frightened but not cowering, suffers the penalties of the Frightened condition, and must flee if it is able. It will fight if it is unable to flee in this round, as described under the Frightened condition.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #728 on: October 21, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
If it did work the other way you also couldn't use Resist Energy for different types, Ruin Delver's Fortune for different functions... yeah. I don't think so.
Seen it argued.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #729 on: October 22, 2010, 12:15:24 AM »
QXXX: So what's the latest stock build (PrCs, anyways) for an Elvish Archer Cleric w/ DMM: Persistant Spell?  Its an Eberron game at about L12.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #730 on: October 22, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »
Q214: what spells should be used for area blasting in the conjuration school?

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #731 on: October 22, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »
Ruin Delver's Fortune is a poor example. It would actually stack even with the broadest interpretation of the spell restrictions, considering that it makes an explicit exception to them:
Quote from: Spell Compendium: Ruin Delver's Fortune
You can cast this spell multiple times. Each time you do, choose a different benefit.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #732 on: October 22, 2010, 02:13:13 AM »
q 215. what is the level adjustment for the paragon template out of the epic level handbook?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

« Reply #733 on: October 22, 2010, 02:15:16 AM »
A215: There's no official LA for it, but the consensus across various boards was that it was in the range of +15 to +20.

• Email
« Reply #734 on: October 22, 2010, 03:09:49 AM »
Q216

jha85

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #735 on: October 22, 2010, 03:38:36 AM »
Q217

I'm a 4th level cleric in an undead campaign. I have been allowed to pick one item, one(1) item only up to the price of 30.000gp. What should I pick? The belt +2 on all stats? I wanted  the Phylactery of Undead Turning (11.000gp) until I heard what the gp limit was. I'm stuck and need advice. +4 on the turning check and damage is nice though..

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #736 on: October 22, 2010, 03:50:06 AM »
Q217

I'm a 4th level cleric in an undead campaign. I have been allowed to pick one item, one(1) item only up to the price of 30.000gp. What should I pick? The belt +2 on all stats? I wanted  the Phylactery of Undead Turning (11.000gp) until I heard what the gp limit was. I'm stuck and need advice. +4 on the turning check and damage is nice though..
you could see how much stuff you are allowed to stack up on it.  the Phylactery of Undead Turning ties around your head, right? ....
maybe tack on the following:
- +2 to 2 stats (8k)
- effect of a nightstick (7.5k)
that totals up to 26.5k ... still got room in case DM decides to tack-on +50% to the nightstick ability for uncustomary slotting.

:twocents:

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

jha85

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #737 on: October 22, 2010, 03:55:33 AM »
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, no stacking... One item.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #738 on: October 22, 2010, 04:15:02 AM »
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, no stacking... One item.
oh ... 1 item as written -- got it.
n/m

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #739 on: October 22, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
Rings of Force Armor?

Just throwing ideas out there... I rarely play a character with an item worth that much gold.  I instead apply lots of smaller bonuses with cheap items, to what I believe is a much greater overall effect.