Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186114 times)

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #680 on: October 20, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
Q 198 What are the ways to get the monk's unarmed strike ability without actually taking a monk level? Other classes might  work, but the least I have to give up the better. Thanks
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
Q 198 What are the ways to get the monk's unarmed strike ability without actually taking a monk level? Other classes might  work, but the least I have to give up the better. Thanks
Q 198 The ways that I know of are Superior Unarmed Strike, and a monk's belt. There are PrC classes that progress a monk's unarmed strikes, but if you don't have monk levels then you'll just count as a lvl 1 monk when you get that PrC.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »
Q198:  Is there a spell to temporarily give someone the [Cold] subtype so as to benefit from Algid Enhancement?  Whatever that one is that gives you the subtype permanently (with the XP cost) won't work.
that spell was reprinted in the SpC to be temporary and not have the xp cost.
I was unaware that it had been reprinted.  Thanks!
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #683 on: October 21, 2010, 12:19:09 AM »
Q 196 If a corporeal creature that only does touch attacks with their natural appendages, but not damage, suddenly takes levels in monk, do they gain the unarmed damage with the touch attacks too, or do those touch attacks now become regular attacks?
Your question is WAY too generic.  It depends on the creature and what the creature is looking to do with their attacks.

For example, if we're talking about a roper here then no, the tendrils will not gain a monk's unarmed damage.
I'm just wondering because I'm reading that a lich can choose whether or not to use a touch attack or its natural weaponry. But what if that lich was a thorciasid? Or a rust monster? Or a cockatrice which has a touch, or a claw? Or maybe it's a demilich. There's a lot of monsters out there that have just touch attacks that do ability damage, or drain, or poison, but they don't do actual physical damage with their natural weapons, and some don't even have claws or bites. So if they were advanced as a monk, or had a monk's belt on them, would they gain that unarmed damage to their strikes?

If they attacked as a normal attack and not a touch attack yes.
It's not that simple, it's different for each of the monsters.

For the lich, the touch attack functions in a lot of ways like a spell, so you can deliver it with an unarmed strike and the paralysis just rides along.

For the Rust Monster and the Roper, their touch attacks are delivered by what amounts to a unique natural weapon.  These touch attacks do not gain the benefit's of unarmed strike damage.

For the Cockatrice, the petrification is explicitly tied to it's bite attack.  It can never be delivered as a touch attack, and does not trigger on any other attack (even other natural weapons or unarmed strikes).

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #684 on: October 21, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »
Q 196 If a corporeal creature that only does touch attacks with their natural appendages, but not damage, suddenly takes levels in monk, do they gain the unarmed damage with the touch attacks too, or do those touch attacks now become regular attacks?
Your question is WAY too generic.  It depends on the creature and what the creature is looking to do with their attacks.

For example, if we're talking about a roper here then no, the tendrils will not gain a monk's unarmed damage.
I'm just wondering because I'm reading that a lich can choose whether or not to use a touch attack or its natural weaponry. But what if that lich was a thorciasid? Or a rust monster? Or a cockatrice which has a touch, or a claw? Or maybe it's a demilich. There's a lot of monsters out there that have just touch attacks that do ability damage, or drain, or poison, but they don't do actual physical damage with their natural weapons, and some don't even have claws or bites. So if they were advanced as a monk, or had a monk's belt on them, would they gain that unarmed damage to their strikes?

If they attacked as a normal attack and not a touch attack yes.
It's not that simple, it's different for each of the monsters.

For the lich, the touch attack functions in a lot of ways like a spell, so you can deliver it with an unarmed strike and the paralysis just rides along.

For the Rust Monster and the Roper, their touch attacks are delivered by what amounts to a unique natural weapon.  These touch attacks do not gain the benefit's of unarmed strike damage.

For the Cockatrice, the petrification is explicitly tied to it's bite attack.  It can never be delivered as a touch attack, and does not trigger on any other attack (even other natural weapons or unarmed strikes).
And a thorciasid?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #685 on: October 21, 2010, 12:58:19 AM »
What's the source on those, again?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #686 on: October 21, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
Thorciasids are from Epic Level Handbook and SRD.

Q 200 Are there any prosthetics which can make a warforged look more human?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #687 on: October 21, 2010, 02:15:23 AM »

I think that the reforged prestige class does what you want....

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #688 on: October 21, 2010, 02:25:19 AM »
And a thorciasid?
Same deal as the rust monster and roper.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #689 on: October 21, 2010, 02:33:08 AM »

Hat of disguise.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #690 on: October 21, 2010, 02:41:45 AM »

Hat of disguise.
That could work. Give him pointy aspects to his head. I'm trying to figure out a way to build Atom and Atlas from Astro Boy.

Q 201 Did I imagine it, or is there a flaw or trait that makes you count as one size smaller than your race normally is?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:50:34 AM by kevin_video »

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #691 on: October 21, 2010, 03:01:05 AM »
Q 201 Did I imagine it, or is there a flaw or trait that makes you count as one size smaller than your race normally is?

Kobolds get slight build.  all i can think of
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #692 on: October 21, 2010, 03:01:40 AM »
A201: Pretty sure it's on the D&D wiki.  Which, as we all know, is about as balanced as early Mongoose stuff.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #693 on: October 21, 2010, 03:05:12 AM »
A201: Pretty sure it's on the D&D wiki.  Which, as we all know, is about as balanced as early Mongoose stuff.
Was thinking the same thing, but couldn't find it there either.

Vomica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #694 on: October 21, 2010, 03:23:37 AM »
Q 202

I've recently started a campaign (third session in fact), with six players. Five of the six are brand new to both D&d and table tops. Two of the players have core fighters that I suggested they go with for extreme simplicity. ...then the sixth player joined. I allowed him to roll a DMM cleric -- as well as letting him go the corpse crafter route. The issue is, the two fighters want to be able to 'do more' now. But keep the same concepts. What's the best way to do this and keep their characters simple (Full orc fighter with a great sword. And a goblin with a war mace. Not optimized. I know. It's what they wanted)? Warblade? Duskblade?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #695 on: October 21, 2010, 03:32:14 AM »
It depends what they're going for. Personally I'd go with Warblade since it stacks well with Fighter, and they'll be able to do even more of the same. You could always house rule that the Warblade counts as a full fighter instead of -2 so they can still get the feats that they'll lead in later levels. If they want to dabble in some magic, then duskblade wouldn't be a bad plan, but it really depends on what they'd like to do. There's always hexblades and solitary hunting rangers. They could even become elites for a deity, and take something that's equivalent to the Champion of Corellon.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #696 on: October 21, 2010, 03:37:35 AM »
Q 202

I've recently started a campaign (third session in fact), with six players. Five of the six are brand new to both D&d and table tops. Two of the players have core fighters that I suggested they go with for extreme simplicity. ...then the sixth player joined. I allowed him to roll a DMM cleric -- as well as letting him go the corpse crafter route. The issue is, the two fighters want to be able to 'do more' now. But keep the same concepts. What's the best way to do this and keep their characters simple (Full orc fighter with a great sword. And a goblin with a war mace. Not optimized. I know. It's what they wanted)? Warblade? Duskblade?

A 202:
I'd send them both in the Warblade direction, and print/write them out some maneuver cards so they have an easy time keeping track of what they have readied and what their combat options are.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #697 on: October 21, 2010, 04:56:47 AM »
A202 Additional option would some full BAB prestige class from Complete Divine, granting paladinesque spell casting. Or some wild shaping class (bear warrior?). Or Suel Arcanamach. Or dip duskblade and head into dragon disciple.

Dipping duskblade can be good for many BSFs, you can use eternal wands, giving you tons of options (enlarge person?). And you can cast true strike (the only useful spell on duskblade's lvl 1 spell list that does not have somatic component). And they get cantrip SLAs.

Getting some turn undead + a divine feat could also increase options.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:10:01 AM by cru »

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #698 on: October 21, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »

A200: Sonorous Hum (SpC, SS) + Veil

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #699 on: October 21, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »
Q203: How does cowering interact with the other steps of fear? i.e. if Imperious Command is used on someone already shaken - what happens? Clearly in round 2 the enemy is frightened, but does he still cower normally in the second round?

Q203(b):
If you have imperious command, can you do a normal demoralize action (only increase fear by one step)? i.e. Shaken enemy, use imperious command, they cower, on the next round they are frightened, while they are frightened hit with a normal demoralize action to panic them.