Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186122 times)

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #660 on: October 20, 2010, 05:39:32 AM »
Try tagging them with a Necrotic Cyst and then scry on that. Then when you feel like it, you can dominate them permanently.

Clearly, only evil people get awesome things.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: October 20, 2010, 07:14:55 AM »
Try tagging them with a Necrotic Cyst and then scry on that. Then when you feel like it, you can dominate them permanently.

Clearly, only evil people get awesome things.

Technically not true, since Mother Cyst has no alignment requirement. Neutral people and good-aligned nonclerics who can make a good argument to the DM get awesome things too. :)

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #662 on: October 20, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »
Q 193
does a maximised quill blast hit for the maximum of quills per creature and maximum of damage?
my guess is yes but i want to be sure

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #663 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
Q191 Are there any spells/effects that can actually pierce a Mind Blank Spell? I don't mean Dispelling it, I mean seeing through it.

Metafaculty

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #664 on: October 20, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
Q194
if you would have to choose 1 book (except spellcompendium) which would be the best for some kickass druid spells?

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #665 on: October 20, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
A193: Sort of. Spell Compendium updated Quill Blast to hit with a fixed number of quills based on creature size, but you would deal maximum damage. (Spell Compendium also heavily nerfed it by making the attack/save penalty non-cumulative.)

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #666 on: October 20, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »
A194 Assuming PHB is included by default, perhaps Frostburn? PHB2?

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #667 on: October 20, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
A193: Sort of. Spell Compendium updated Quill Blast to hit with a fixed number of quills based on creature size, but you would deal maximum damage. (Spell Compendium also heavily nerfed it by making the attack/save penalty non-cumulative.)
and when using the complete divine version?

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #668 on: October 20, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
Complete Divine version of Quillblast is awesome. I don't see why we can't just pick the best version of the spells that have been printed.

I'd say the best extra book depends on your spellcasting class and what you're going for. PHB2 is nice for Wizards who want Celerity. Complete Arcane has a lot of arcane spells, unsurprisingly. Complete Champion or Complete Divine add a lot of Cleric options. Complete Mage has some nice Bard spells (and druid self-buffs for some reason too).

dark_hound

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #669 on: October 20, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
Q195: What tier would the society mind from Untapped Potential be?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:57:31 PM by dark_hound »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #670 on: October 20, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »
Q 196 If a corporeal creature that only does touch attacks with their natural appendages, but not damage, suddenly takes levels in monk, do they gain the unarmed damage with the touch attacks too, or do those touch attacks now become regular attacks?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #671 on: October 20, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Q 196 If a corporeal creature that only does touch attacks with their natural appendages, but not damage, suddenly takes levels in monk, do they gain the unarmed damage with the touch attacks too, or do those touch attacks now become regular attacks?
Your question is WAY too generic.  It depends on the creature and what the creature is looking to do with their attacks.

For example, if we're talking about a roper here then no, the tendrils will not gain a monk's unarmed damage.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #672 on: October 20, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
Your question is WAY too generic.  It depends on the creature and what the creature is looking to do with their attacks.

For example, if we're talking about a roper here then no, the tendrils will not gain a monk's unarmed damage.
I'm just wondering because I'm reading that a lich can choose whether or not to use a touch attack or its natural weaponry. But what if that lich was a thorciasid? Or a rust monster? Or a cockatrice which has a touch, or a claw? Or maybe it's a demilich. There's a lot of monsters out there that have just touch attacks that do ability damage, or drain, or poison, but they don't do actual physical damage with their natural weapons, and some don't even have claws or bites. So if they were advanced as a monk, or had a monk's belt on them, would they gain that unarmed damage to their strikes?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #673 on: October 20, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »

I'm just wondering because I'm reading that a lich can choose whether or not to use a touch attack or its natural weaponry. But what if that lich was a thorciasid? Or a rust monster? Or a cockatrice which has a touch, or a claw? Or maybe it's a demilich. There's a lot of monsters out there that have just touch attacks that do ability damage, or drain, or poison, but they don't do actual physical damage with their natural weapons, and some don't even have claws or bites. So if they were advanced as a monk, or had a monk's belt on them, would they gain that unarmed damage to their strikes?

If they attacked as a normal attack and not a touch attack yes.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #674 on: October 20, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »

If they attacked as a normal attack and not a touch attack yes.
Good to know.

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #675 on: October 20, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »
Q 197:
Would UMD be desired in a Sublime Chord/Ur Priest/Fochlucan Lyrist build?  I would only be missing out on Druid spells I think. (Trying to save some skills points because of those damn skill pre-req's)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #676 on: October 20, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
Q198:  Is there a spell to temporarily give someone the [Cold] subtype so as to benefit from Algid Enhancement?  Whatever that one is that gives you the subtype permanently (with the XP cost) won't work.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #677 on: October 20, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »
Q198:  Is there a spell to temporarily give someone the [Cold] subtype so as to benefit from Algid Enhancement?  Whatever that one is that gives you the subtype permanently (with the XP cost) won't work.
that spell was reprinted in the SpC to be temporary and not have the xp cost.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #678 on: October 20, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »
Q 199: Do you gain the ability to achieve psionic focus once you take a psionic feat that requires expenditure of psionic focus?  And further, can psionic focus be achieved without otherwise any psionic ability, simply by way of a high enough concentration check?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #679 on: October 20, 2010, 09:07:35 PM »
Q 199: Do you gain the ability to achieve psionic focus once you take a psionic feat that requires expenditure of psionic focus?  And further, can psionic focus be achieved without otherwise any psionic ability, simply by way of a high enough concentration check?
as long as you have at least 1 pp byvirtue of class, race, feat, etc, youcan become psionically focused. Without a pp reserve of at least 1, you can't take psionic feats because you don't have the psionic subtype.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]