Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186125 times)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #600 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »
Q177 Is there anyway a Druid can where metal armour (specifically Mithral) without losing his spells and abilities?

These non-metal special materials can reduce the category of armor:
  • Blue Ice (any metal): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 1 better, Frostburn 80
  • Darkleaf, elven (any metal): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Arms and Equipment Guide 19
  • Dragoncraft (hide, scale, half or full plate only): armor category 1 lighter, armor check penalty 2 better, Draconomicon 117
  • Duskwood (breastplate only): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Magic of Faerun 178
  • Glassteel (any metal): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 2 higher, armor check penalty 3 better, Races of Faerun 158
  • Shadowsilk (any cloth or leather): armor category light, max dex 2 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Tome of Magic 155

These non-metla special material only improve maximum dexterit bonus:
  • Chitin (breast, half, or full plate only): max dex 1 higher, Races of the Dragon 121
  • Leafweave, elven (any cloth or leather): max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Races of the Wild 168
  • Wildwood (any metal): max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 1 better, armor bonus 1 lower, Races of the Wild 169

I'm not certain that glassteel doesn't count as metal, and it's pretty expensive.  Elven darkleaf definitely works for a druid, is almost as good as mithral, and is pretty cheep (+750 gp for light, +2,250 gp for medium, and +3,000 gp for heavy). 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #601 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:19 PM »
Q177

Is there anyway a Druid can where metal armour (specifically Mithral) without losing his spells and abilities?
Wear blue ice armor instead.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #602 on: October 18, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
Q178:

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #603 on: October 18, 2010, 11:17:31 PM »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #604 on: October 19, 2010, 12:08:20 AM »
Q177 Is there anyway a Druid can where metal armour (specifically Mithral) without losing his spells and abilities?

These non-metal special materials can reduce the category of armor:
  • Blue Ice (any metal): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 1 better, Frostburn 80
  • Darkleaf, elven (any metal): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Arms and Equipment Guide 19
  • Dragoncraft (hide, scale, half or full plate only): armor category 1 lighter, armor check penalty 2 better, Draconomicon 117
  • Duskwood (breastplate only): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Magic of Faerun 178
  • Glassteel (any metal): armor category 1 lighter, max dex 2 higher, armor check penalty 3 better, Races of Faerun 158
  • Shadowsilk (any cloth or leather): armor category light, max dex 2 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Tome of Magic 155

These non-metla special material only improve maximum dexterit bonus:
  • Chitin (breast, half, or full plate only): max dex 1 higher, Races of the Dragon 121
  • Leafweave, elven (any cloth or leather): max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 2 better, Races of the Wild 168
  • Wildwood (any metal): max dex 1 higher, armor check penalty 1 better, armor bonus 1 lower, Races of the Wild 169

I'm not certain that glassteel doesn't count as metal, and it's pretty expensive.  Elven darkleaf definitely works for a druid, is almost as good as mithral, and is pretty cheep (+750 gp for light, +2,250 gp for medium, and +3,000 gp for heavy). 

Thanks, you really went above and beyond! :clap

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #605 on: October 19, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
If a spell is as another spell, but with a slight differance can a class that can cast the latter spell cast the former.

Example create wine is as create water only it makes wine.

Exact text
Quote from: srd
create wine (as create water, but wine instead)
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #606 on: October 19, 2010, 01:01:26 AM »
Q179:Can I use Astral projection if I allready am astral projecting?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #607 on: October 19, 2010, 01:15:44 AM »
yes, but it won't do anything.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #608 on: October 19, 2010, 01:27:59 AM »

What?Why not?
If I use Astral projection and then go back to the material plane and  then cast Astral projection again,it should work shouldn't it?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #609 on: October 19, 2010, 01:45:58 AM »
If a spell is as another spell, but with a slight differance can a class that can cast the latter spell cast the former.

Exact text
No.
Planetouched Handbook

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #610 on: October 19, 2010, 01:55:19 AM »
What?Why not?
If I use Astral projection and then go back to the material plane and  then cast Astral projection again,it should work shouldn't it?
Because casting it again will just stack durations, and the duration is as long as you want.
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2010, 02:00:04 AM »
What?Why not?
Because casting it again will just stack durations, and the duration is as long as you want.

Yes,but I don't care about duration.....
So you say that when my second body casts Astral projection it just dissappears?Where are you getting this ruling?

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2010, 02:16:12 AM »
Q 180 Can you take 1 hand off a 2 handed weapon in order to cast a spell? Or are you forced to take the Complete Mage's feat Somatic Weaponry (pg 47) in order to do so? If you can cast while wielding a 2-handed weapon (via take hand off, cast, and put hand back on), where are the rules for this?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2010, 02:18:26 AM »
Yes, you can.
Planetouched Handbook

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2010, 02:20:46 AM »

Exact text

No. You could easily research such a spell, however, and such minor cosmetic changes might possibly be ruled to be within the domain of the PgtF's Spell Thematics feat if your DM is feeling generous.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:25 AM »
Q 180 Can you take 1 hand off a 2 handed weapon in order to cast a spell? Or are you forced to take the Complete Mage's feat Somatic Weaponry (pg 47) in order to do so? If you can cast while wielding a 2-handed weapon (via take hand off, cast, and put hand back on), where are the rules for this?
Yes, you can.

What's the source, please?

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #616 on: October 19, 2010, 02:31:10 AM »
What?Why not?

So you say that when my second body casts Astral projection it just dissappears?Where are you getting this ruling?

The ruling doesn't exist.

Using Astral Projection multiple times is a known tactic. I thought almost everyone agrees that it works Rules As Written. Full Stop. When something works, it works. Full Stop.

It is broken as all hell. You can copy your equipment as many times as you want. The wealth resource system is destroyed completely. With proper tactics, one doesn't have to fear death.

Why in the hell this spell exists when we have Plane Shift if not to give a game breaker to 17th level spellcasters? I have no idea. Copying equipment and making extra bodies... that sounds perfectly balanced and not at all controversial or group dividing.

For that reason, I suggest you not use it unless your entire group is already using things similar.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #617 on: October 19, 2010, 02:35:32 AM »
What?Why not?

Using Astral Projection multiple times is a known tactic. I thought almost everyone agrees that it works Rules As Written. Full Stop. When something works, it works. Full Stop.

It is broken as all hell. You can copy your equipment as many times as you want. The wealth resource system is destroyed completely. With proper tactics, one doesn't have to fear death.

Why in the hell this spell exists when we have Plane Shift if not to give a game breaker to 17th level spellcasters? I have no idea. Copying equipment and making extra bodies... that sounds perfectly balanced and not at all controversial or group dividing.

For that reason, I suggest you not use it unless your entire group is already using things similar.
On the contrary, the first time you cast Astral Projection, you are now under the effect of an Astral Projection spell.  Even if you return to the material, you're under the effect of an Astral Projection spell.  Therefore, if you cast Astral Projection again, the durations will simply overlap.  You will not gain 3rd, 4th, etc. extra lives/duplicate items/etc.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #618 on: October 19, 2010, 02:46:18 AM »
What?Why not?

On the contrary, the first time you cast Astral Projection, you are now under the effect of an Astral Projection spell.  Even if you return to the material, you're under the effect of an Astral Projection spell.  Therefore, if you cast Astral Projection again, the durations will simply overlap.  You will not gain 3rd, 4th, etc. extra lives/duplicate items/etc.
What book says casting a spell on one's self twice does not confer the benefits of that spell twice? I'd like a page number, too.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #619 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:42 AM »

I'll give you two choices.
1. you assume counts under stacking effects and that therefor it doesn't work. (combining magical effects, PH 171)

2. you pull off a stupid infinite loop that gives the DM increasing places to kill you, and increasing reason to kill you.

Because abusing the copy effect would likely count as violating a natural law, inevitables will begin to target you, and your sliver cords only have hardness 10 and 20 hp.
some quick numbers
[spoiler]Assuming 1 of the least effective ones, it would take 533.3 attacks assuming it needs a 20 to hit. that's 26 minutes and 40 seconds.
the most effective one would deal 2d6+12+3d6-10 damage  (7 to 32) damage in the first swing, and the second swing would almost total assure death. even if it needs 20 to hit, that's only 2 minutes.
the second most efficient will average death in 8 hits. at two attacks per round and needing 20 to hit it's still only 8 minutes.[/spoiler]
Do you really want a CR 9 creature to kill you that easy?
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]