Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186141 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
That sounds good, Im working on something that can do 10 grapple attacks per round. :D
Like a sharn?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Q19

Im building and optimizing a bard for use as an NPC in a campaign that Im running, but I have encountered trouble. The bard in question will be a half-elf, with all three half-elf bard substitution levels from Races of Destiny, and the last one at bard level 8, Secrets of the Diplomat, is bothering me. It states that I give up a 4th level bard spell known gained at that level, but bars doesn't gain 4th level spells before level 10. Do I miss something here?
A19: I'd say change Sending to 3rd-level and have the feat replace the 3rd-level spell gained.  The official errata may have done something different.

Thanks. However, I cant seem to find any official errata for Races of Destiny. This is the first time that I have found an entry in a WotC book that is totally useless, due to bad writing.. I must not be playing enough.

Q23

In an upcoming game, my lawful 10th level Favored Soul will be facing a chaotic monster with at least 16th level cleric casting and a nasty habit of casting Word of Chaos. Is there a safe and easy way of overcoming that spell, or the resulting confusion caused by it?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »
A23: Silence.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
Agreed. Just hope the enemy doesn't have Resounding Voice (HoB) prepped to counter Silence. It's actually not unreasonable if the enemy loves Word of Chaos. But since you're a spont. caster, keep using Silence until you win. Do the area version on where you and your allies are if you're most worried about them going crazy.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
Stick wax in your ears.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
A23: Silence.
Or get a ring of silent spells for only 2000 gold. This way you can still cast a few low level spells.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »
Q24: Is there any way qualify for feats that require a Humanoid type if you are an outsider? Does the subtype "Augmented Humanoid" let you qualify for it?
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
Q 25 The water whip in MIC says that it can be either flame or frost, based on what you choose upon activating it. Is this a permanent choice, or is it something you can choose each time you equip it?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »
Q 25 The water whip in MIC says that it can be either flame or frost, based on what you choose upon activating it. Is this a permanent choice, or is it something you can choose each time you equip it?
Better.  See that line that says "activation" in the item info?  By spending that action, you can swap between the two whenever you like.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »
Better.  See that line that says "activation" in the item info?  By spending that action, you can swap between the two whenever you like.
That is better. I love how it says "and standard".

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2010, 12:05:29 AM »
Standard is what it takes to swap.  Everything else doesn't require an action.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »
Q24: Is there any way qualify for feats that require a Humanoid type if you are an outsider? Does the subtype "Augmented Humanoid" let you qualify for it?
No and no.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2010, 12:45:46 AM »
I think you missed the first work in the quotations; "and".

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2010, 12:50:17 AM »
I think you missed the first work in the quotations; "and".
I believe it is or should be "-- and standard"

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2010, 01:24:03 AM »
Q26: My friend is arguing with me that Rogues are better than Factotums.  Help?

Edit: Just so we're clear, I'm on the side of sanity, where Factotums are clearly better than Rogues.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 01:25:14 AM »

Edit: Just so we're clear, I'm on the side of sanity, where Factotums are clearly better than Rogues.
What's his side of the argument?

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2010, 01:31:04 AM »

Factotums are useless, don't do anything, Rogues have sneak attack, the tier system is dumb, no way are samurai worse than all the NPC classes, etc.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2010, 01:43:20 AM »
Factotums are useless, don't do anything, Rogues have sneak attack, the tier system is dumb, no way are samurai worse than all the NPC classes, etc.
I don't see how he can think them to be useless. Unless you figure that spellcasting both arcane and divine is useless, or that having all skills as class skills is useless. Not to mention rogues are d6 HD instead of d8. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the tier system because not everything should be about the numbers considering the game's supposed to be about role playing, and not how much damage you can efficiently dish out each round, and the samurai's still better than the warrior unless you're someone who thinks that any class that's limited to being one of the three lawfuls instead of chaotic or neutral makes them worse.

I don't know. Maybe he's looking at the 8+int being better than 6+int for skills. Or the fact that factotums have to spend inspiration points to do what everyone else can do too. Last time I checked a factotum could do sneak attack, just not for free. Maybe the trap sense, evasion, improved uncanny dodge, and the special abilities are the winning combination he's looking at? All-in-all, I don't think he's looked over the class too closely. They both have their merits, but the factotum is the true jack of all trades. The factotum isn't the best at everything, but he can do everything almost as good as everyone else. Give him the right feats, race, and PrC, and he might even do it better.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2010, 01:50:11 AM »

You have shown him/her Font of Inspiration, right?

And ask your friend how one player (namely him/her) is a better judge of the whole class system then a large collective of gamers who are intimately familiar with power-levels.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:09 AM »
q 26a. can you put meta-magic enhancements on a wand? what are the ways to achieve this, without using prc's?
 q 26b. is the cap for a wand(non-epic) 4th level spells?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda