Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186143 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #520 on: October 16, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
Kevin, the reason we reject those changes is because they were suggested for Pathfinder, not as eratta.  If they were intended for general use, they would not have been posted on the Paizo boards long before WotC (which I still doubt that they were ever on WotC).
Aside from the two facts that...

1) They're not official errata.

2) They take all the good things ToB did for melee characters and basically un-did about half of it.  ToB characters with that "errata" applied become very poor T3 performers.  Only Swordsages are mostly unaffected.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #521 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »
Kevin, the reason we reject those changes is because they were suggested for Pathfinder, not as eratta.  If they were intended for general use, they would not have been posted on the Paizo boards long before WotC (which I still doubt that they were ever on WotC).
Firstly, no, not suggested for Pathfinder. For Pathfinder, you keep the ToB classes exactly as they are, and increase the HD for Crusader to d12. Why would you nerf a Pathfinder class? You'd be stupid to do that.

Second, nothing is official errata because the errata wasn't properly released. These are from Richard Baker himself. As I said, you want to dispute it, you take it up with Richard himself. All the power to you.

I'm just the messenger. No need to shoot me.

EDIT: I'd like to further add that even if you did except it as official errata, 99% of everyone here would just house rule it back to what it was anyways.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:38:21 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #522 on: October 16, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
Q157.  What happens when a Human Ghost/Wizard casts antimagic field?
The spell says incorporeal undead "wink out," but what happens to the field when that happens?  If the field disappears when they wink out, then...  *rubs forehead*
You're stuck on the ethereal plane and can't use manifestation until the duration expires.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #523 on: October 16, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
Q160:How high can I get the spellcraft modifier by level 21?
I know about Item familiar,skill focus,magical aptidude ,maybe an item that gives competence bonus and masterwork Item.....
The epic feat is allready taken(epic spellcasting)
What else can boost spellcraft?The character would have to cast ninth level spells so prestige classes that lose up to 4 caster levels are acceptable.....

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #524 on: October 16, 2010, 11:58:23 PM »
Firstly, no, not suggested for Pathfinder. For Pathfinder, you keep the ToB classes exactly as they are, and increase the HD for Crusader to d12. Why would you nerf a Pathfinder class? You'd be stupid to do that.

Second, nothing is official errata because the errata wasn't properly released. These are from Richard Baker himself. As I said, you want to dispute it, you take it up with Richard himself. All the power to you.

EDIT: I'd like to further add that even if you did except it as official errata, 99% of everyone here would just house rule it back to what it was anyways.
If Baker regrets ToB because it means he created a class that utterly and completely out-shines a Fighter, then Baker can go blow himself for all I care.  Tell me when he nerfs Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, Druids, Psions, Ardents, Erudites, Favored Souls, Bards, Barbarians, Warlocks, Knights, Rangers, Scouts, Rogues, Dragon Shamans, Dragonfire Adepts, Ninjas, Spellthieves, Monks, Hexblades, Swashbucklers, Wu Jen, Shugenja, Warmages, Beguilers, Duskblades, Archivists, Dread Necromancers, Spirit Shamans, and Factotums.  When he does that, then I might think he's actually serious about game balance.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #525 on: October 17, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »

If Baker regrets ToB because it means he created a class that utterly and completely out-shines a Fighter, then Baker can go blow himself for all I care.  Tell me when he nerfs Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, Druids, Psions, Ardents, Erudites, Favored Souls, Bards, Barbarians, Warlocks, Knights, Rangers, Scouts, Rogues, Dragon Shamans, Dragonfire Adepts, Ninjas, Spellthieves, Monks, Hexblades, Swashbucklers, Wu Jen, Shugenja, Warmages, Beguilers, Duskblades, Archivists, Dread Necromancers, Spirit Shamans, and Factotums.  When he does that, then I might think he's actually serious about game balance.
He wasn't allowed to touch the Hexblade. That was Mike Mearls. He actually redid it after finding out about the fact that the Complete Warrior Knight and Hexblade that he designed were based around balancing with the core classes, but none of the other classes were. While the Knight didn't change until much later (just gained Fort which didn't become official until the Pathfinder books came out), he gave the Hexblade additional abilities, more uses for the curses, the Hexblade curse feats from Dragon magazine are now capable of being taken for the bonus feats, and made them armored mages like the duskblade.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #526 on: October 17, 2010, 12:12:56 AM »
He actually redid it after finding out about the fact that the Complete Warrior Knight and Hexblade that he designed were based around balancing with the core classes, but none of the other classes were. While the Knight didn't change until much later (just gained Fort which didn't become official until the Pathfinder books came out)

Wait, so Pathfinder is suddenly official updates?  Suddenly so much of what you're saying makes sense.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #527 on: October 17, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »
He actually redid it after finding out about the fact that the Complete Warrior Knight and Hexblade that he designed were based around balancing with the core classes, but none of the other classes were. While the Knight didn't change until much later (just gained Fort which didn't become official until the Pathfinder books came out)

Wait, so Pathfinder is suddenly official updates?  Suddenly so much of what you're saying makes sense.
I don't know that I'd read it that way. I'm hoping I'm writing it correctly too. See, when Pathfinder came out, they needed to do up a knight, but it's not SRD material. A third party that bought the rights to the Pathfinder book took the updated Knight that Mr Mearls had given changes to, gave it access to a few more bonus feats and a horse, and then printed it. Because the two knights are different enough in print, WotC won't be able to sue them, despite the fact that what was printed, was technically the revised one.

EDIT: If you haven't seen it, this is the new Hexblade that Mike Mearls did. It's not much, but it's better than what was there.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:22:46 AM by kevin_video »

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #528 on: October 17, 2010, 12:44:45 AM »
Q160. What feats, (prestige) class abilities, magic items, and other character resources are available for those looking to improve their racial or otherwise already extant Spell Resistance? As far as I'm aware there's the 3.0 Forsaker, the sadly limited Exalted Spell Resistance, the dragon-only Awaken Spell Resistance, and that's it.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: October 17, 2010, 12:46:01 AM »
Q161
How can I give undead I create max HP per hit die?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #530 on: October 17, 2010, 12:55:17 AM »
Q160. What feats, (prestige) class abilities, magic items, and other character resources are available for those looking to improve their racial or otherwise already extant Spell Resistance? As far as I'm aware there's the 3.0 Forsaker, the sadly limited Exalted Spell Resistance, the dragon-only Awaken Spell Resistance, and that's it.

There is boost spell resistance from BoVD, it boost by 2 and you have to be evil...
There is Psychic refusal from DotU it boost by 4 but it only applies against mind-affecting spell and abilities.....
And there is also the Epic feat Improved spell resistance.....

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #531 on: October 17, 2010, 12:57:40 AM »
Q161
To my knowledge, it's only possible with Plague of Undead.  Works like Animate Dead, except it's a mass version with a set material component cost (100gp of black perals) and the undead have max hp per HD.  Also, it's a 9th level spell (Cleric, Wiz/Sorc and Dread Necro)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #532 on: October 17, 2010, 01:00:21 AM »
Q161
Corpsegrafter will give you an +2 hp per hit die and a +4 bonus to str....
You could use Plague of Undead but you would be restricted to zombies and skeletons....

Edit:Oops somewhat Ninjaed....

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #533 on: October 17, 2010, 01:08:03 AM »

Daazix's Vest or somesuch from the DMG2 boosts it by 5. IIRC, it's kinda pricy.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #534 on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:05 AM »

Daazix's Vest or somesuch from the DMG2 boosts it by 5. IIRC, it's kinda pricy.

Not terribly pricy, especially in comparison to items that grant static SR- only 25k, quite affordable by the mid-high levels. Thanks!

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #535 on: October 17, 2010, 01:47:47 AM »
Q 162:
Say I am a Cleric with Rebuke Dragons instead of Turn Undead. 
If I take the Radiant Servant of Pelor prestige class, which is most likely how the Greater Turning ability (3+CHA/day, undead are destroyed instead of turned) of the class works?
  • A.) Uses my Rebuke Dragons to power Greater Turning
  • B.) Grants me Turn Undead
  • C.) I gain nothing. (Greater Turning nonfunctional)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:49:22 AM by bananaphone »

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #536 on: October 17, 2010, 02:04:56 AM »
A162: Complete Divine's entry inherits (CS terminology) entirely from the Sun domain itself, and the Sun domain's power explicitly works only against undead.
Quote from: SRD: Cleric Domains: Sun Domain
Once per day, you can perform a greater turning against undead in place of a regular turning. The greater turning is like a normal turning except that the undead creatures that would be turned are destroyed instead.
Bolding mine. Thus option C is the likeliest one. (Sorry.)

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #537 on: October 17, 2010, 02:12:05 AM »
Q161
A 161: The feat "Augment Undead" makes generated undead have maximized hp from HD and additionally +1 hp per HD per 3 caster levels (+6 at CL 18). At level 18, they'd have +6 hp per HD and maximized Hitdice.

It's third party. Book is called "Encyclopaedia Arcane - Necromancy - Beyond the Grave" by Mongoose Publishing and Matthew Sprange.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #538 on: October 17, 2010, 02:20:18 AM »
A162: Complete Divine's entry inherits (CS terminology) entirely from the Sun domain itself, and the Sun domain's power explicitly works only against undead.
Once per day, you can perform a greater turning against undead in place of a regular turning. The greater turning is like a normal turning except that the undead creatures that would be turned are destroyed instead.

I'd say option A, given the "normal"
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #539 on: October 17, 2010, 02:54:51 AM »

I'd say option A, given the "normal"
Actually, after re-reading the Rebuke dragons ACF, it counts as Turn Undead for activating feats and other abilites.  So I guess it does work like A.   
Darn, I guess I need to pick up Sacred Exorcist to actually get Turn Undead.