Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186119 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #480 on: October 15, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

An astral construct has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromancy effects, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #481 on: October 15, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »
So, a morale bonus is considered mind-affecting no matter the source, even if the source has no such descriptor?  Note that bardic music, the Rage spell, and many, many other morale bonus-granting abilities note the descriptors.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #482 on: October 16, 2010, 01:47:10 AM »
Q150:
Is there any explicit text in Tome of Battle that states that you can not ready the same maneuver more than once? If so, where can I find it?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #483 on: October 16, 2010, 02:01:04 AM »
Q150:
Is there any explicit text in Tome of Battle that states that you can not ready the same maneuver more than once? If so, where can I find it?

A150 Yes it does.  I can't find it right now but I am certain I saw it.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #484 on: October 16, 2010, 02:13:09 AM »
Q150:

My understanding is that it was somewhat ambiguous in the book but the faq clearly says you cannot.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #485 on: October 16, 2010, 03:27:47 AM »
Q 141: Is there anyway to make constructs affected by bardic music? Specifically Astral constructs (coming from a shaper/constructor) gaining the benefit of dragonfire inspiration.
Technically DFA isn't Mind-Affecting. Read it closely.
Inspire Courage itself is mind-affecting (like most if not all bardic music effects), and Dragonfire Inspiration is a modification of that ability. Thus it's still mind-affecting.

Additionally, all of that business about morale bonuses always being mind-affecting is just an assumption the designers made. And it's a poor one; sure, bardic music is mind-affecting, and so is Good Hope. But Barbarian Rage (core!) isn't along with Aura of Vitality (SC), Valiant Fury (SC and CWar before that), and Valiant Spirit (MoI).

Oh, and:
  • The DMG itself says nothing special about morale bonuses in the Bonuses list (page 21).
  • The PHB states that nonintelligent creatures cannot benefit, but makes no connection to the mind-affecting descriptor.
  • The Rules Compendium states that "such bonuses come from mind-affecting effects" (as above, false), but does not quite state that morale bonuses ARE mind-affecting effects.
Yeah, it's just a silly oversight based on common sources of morale bonuses. (Astral Constructs are still immune to all of them as they lack Int scores.)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: October 16, 2010, 04:09:36 AM »
Q 151 Where can I find a list of all of the warlock's invocations?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #487 on: October 16, 2010, 04:22:14 AM »
Oh, and:
  • The DMG itself says nothing special about morale bonuses in the Bonuses list (page 21).
  • The PHB states that nonintelligent creatures cannot benefit, but makes no connection to the mind-affecting descriptor.
  • The Rules Compendium states that "such bonuses come from mind-affecting effects" (as above, false), but does not quite state that morale bonuses ARE mind-affecting effects.
Yeah, it's just a silly oversight based on common sources of morale bonuses. (Astral Constructs are still immune to all of them as they lack Int scores.)
Spells that grant morale bonuses/penalties have the Mind-Affecting descriptor just as spells that deal fire damage have the Fire descriptor.  The lack of an explicit listing of said descriptors can be attributed just as easily to a silly oversight by WotC's editors as one can parse the words "[morale] bonuses come from mind-affecting effects" to mean that morale bonuses are not necessarily mind-affecting.

Ian Frost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #488 on: October 16, 2010, 04:28:44 AM »
Is this complete enough?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #489 on: October 16, 2010, 04:36:36 AM »
Is this complete enough?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #490 on: October 16, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »
Oh, and:
Spells that grant morale bonuses/penalties have the Mind-Affecting descriptor just as spells that deal fire damage have the Fire descriptor.  The lack of an explicit listing of said descriptors can be attributed just as easily to a silly oversight by WotC's editors as one can parse the words "[morale] bonuses come from mind-affecting effects" to mean that morale bonuses are not necessarily mind-affecting.
The bonuses given are not the same as the effects themselves; do not confuse the part with the whole. For instance, it is possible for a spell to deal force damage without the force descriptor - there's an ACF for sorcerers in Planar Handbook that converts half the energy damage dealt to force damage. Similarly, it's possible to deal negative energy damage without that same descriptor using the Black Lore of Moil feat. It's even possible to deal fire damage without that descriptor - just cast Vitrify (Sandstorm). Just because there is often a connection does not mean that a connection necessarily will always exist.

Besides, the text in the Rules Compendium is demonstrably incorrect. Hell, that bit about barbarians gaining a morale bonus to Will saves that's not mind-affecting has been around since 3.0.

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #491 on: October 16, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »
I know that morale is Mind-Affecting.
Where is this actually stated?  I know that most Morale bonuses are from mind-affecting effects, but I can think of two cases where this isn't the case (Barbarian Rage bonus to Will saves and the Aura of Vitality spell in Spell Compendium).
Quote from: SRD, Basics
Morale Modifier

A morale bonus represents the effects of greater hope, courage, and determination (or hopelessness, cowardice, and despair in the case of a morale penalty). Multiple morale bonuses on the same character do not stack. Only the highest morale bonus applies. Nonintelligent creatures (creatures with an Intelligence of 0 or no Intelligence at all) cannot benefit from morale bonuses.

It doesn't say mind effecting - just the intelligence qualification. Of course, this will eliminate many constructs and undead, but I don't see why it wouldn't affect anything with an intelligence score.

Q152: Is it possible to enchant a Dastana (From the Oriental Adventures), Armor, and shield, and get the better armor bonus from each?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:20:17 AM by genuine »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #492 on: October 16, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
A 152: Sure.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #493 on: October 16, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
The Oriental Adventures FAQ says this:

TangoZilla

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #494 on: October 16, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »
Q150:

A150 Yes it does.  I can't find it right now but I am certain I saw it.

My understanding is that it was somewhat ambiguous in the book but the faq clearly says you cannot.

Where can I find the FAQ?

Edit: I think I found it at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a unless it's out of date, but I searched the FAQ and found no mention of readying the same maneuver more than once.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:58:49 AM by TangoZilla »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #495 on: October 16, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »
Q150:

Where can I find the FAQ?

Edit: I think I found it at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a unless it's out of date, but I searched the FAQ and found no mention of readying the same maneuver more than once.

Isn't ToB the book where the Errata changed halfway through to Complete Mage's?

Q153: Is there an item in 3.5 that works similarly to the Scarab of Protection from AD&D (gives you a save even if you would normally be denied one.)
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #496 on: October 16, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
Q154:  Does Dragon Magazine have any Swift Hunter style feats that stack two different class levels for the advanced of class features?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #497 on: October 16, 2010, 04:13:25 PM »
Q154:  Does Dragon Magazine have any Swift Hunter style feats that stack two different class levels for the advanced of class features?

Yes there are a few in dragon 357.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #498 on: October 16, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »
Isn't ToB the book where the Errata changed halfway through to Complete Mage's?
We wish it had gotten that far.  It barely begun before it changed mid-word to Complete Mage.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

MGPC

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #499 on: October 16, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »
Q155: Is there a spell to throw a weapon?