Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186108 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #460 on: October 15, 2010, 05:26:19 AM »
Q144: besides false life, are there any other arcane spells that give a HP boost?
Hoard life from one of the dragon books also does.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #461 on: October 15, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »
Then there are the Vampiric Touch(PHB) and Channeled Lifetheft(CM) spells which require a melee touch attack on an enemy to gain temporary HP.
Actually, Channeled Lifetheft is close range, no touch attack of any variety required, plus it causes exhaustion.  That'd be a pretty damn good spell if it wasn't competing with the likes of Telekinesis.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #462 on: October 15, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
Then there are the Vampiric Touch(PHB) and Channeled Lifetheft(CM) spells which require a melee touch attack on an enemy to gain temporary HP.
Actually, Channeled Lifetheft is close range, no touch attack of any variety required, plus it causes exhaustion.  That'd be a pretty damn good spell if it wasn't competing with the likes of Telekinesis.
Oooops!  I stand corrected.

Q 146:
If I apply a Ray of Enfeeblement followed up by a Ray of Exhaustion, would I be able to reduce my enemy's Strength to zero?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #463 on: October 15, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »

I think your opponent applies modifiers to his ability scores in the order most beneficial to him.  So, I think it would be the penalty for exhaustion, then the penalty from ray of enfeeblement (with the minimum of 1), then the bonus from a belt of giant's strength (if he's wearing one). 

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #464 on: October 15, 2010, 04:45:29 PM »

Q 146:
If I apply a Ray of Enfeeblement followed up by a Ray of Exhaustion, would I be able to reduce my enemy's Strength to zero?

I disagree, I think once his strength is already reduced to 1, there's no undoing that to save his strength score, so yes this would work. I think that general rule is meant more for things a character would have on all the time. Just my opinion though.

Q147: What book are wand slots from? Not the Warforged version, the one where you can have awand in a weapon. Google searching and searching in these forums is getting me nothing.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #465 on: October 15, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »

Q 146:

I disagree, I think once his strength is already reduced to 1, there's no undoing that to save his strength score, so yes this would work. I think that general rule is meant more for things a character would have on all the time. Just my opinion though.

Q147: What book are wand slots from? Not the Warforged version, the one where you can have awand in a weapon. Google searching and searching in these forums is getting me nothing.

A147: Dungeonscape. They are called Wand Chambers, 300gp IIRC.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »
100 gp. 

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #467 on: October 15, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »

Q 146:

AFAIK penalties to an ability score (Ray of Enfeeblement and Ray of Exhaustion) cannot reduce strength to 0.  If you hit someone with a Ray of Enfeeblement and then deal Strength damage to it, then maybe.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #468 on: October 15, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
Q144: besides false life, are there any other arcane spells that give a HP boost?

Necromantic Cyst Empowerment or whatever gives a bonus 100HP, but of course it is level 8 and you need a necromantic cyst feat.

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #469 on: October 15, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »

I think your opponent applies modifiers to his ability scores in the order most beneficial to him.  So, I think it would be the penalty for exhaustion, then the penalty from ray of enfeeblement (with the minimum of 1), then the bonus from a belt of giant's strength (if he's wearing one). 

I've heard that ruling before, which seems a bit silly.  If you were fighting a bunch of Shadows, you could cast Ray of Enfeeblement on yourself to prevent your STR from ever reaching zero.

@X-Codes    Most Stat Penalty inducing spells have a line of text that states "The subject's score cannot drop below 1" or some such.  Seems to be a specific rule per the spells, and not one based upon it being a "penalty", otherwise wouldn't the Fatigue(-2 Dex, -2 Str) and Exhaustion (-6 Str, -6 Dex) conditions have that same line of text?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #470 on: October 15, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »
I'd suggest the house-rule that the minimum 1 thing only applies if the ability score was not already less than 1 before the penalty was applied.  Much like the bucket of water trick, Wizards clearly didn't consider all the corner cases. 

While we're on the subject of silly things, it would seem silly to me if a creature with strength 12 and a -6 penalty to strength is rendered helpless by ray of enfeeblement, but a creature with strength 6 and no penalty is not. 

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #471 on: October 15, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »
Q148
What Feats/Spells grant extra Action Points (including Temporary) that can be taken by non-Divine Casters?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #472 on: October 15, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
Q148
What Feats/Spells grant extra Action Points (including Temporary) that can be taken by non-Divine Casters?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #473 on: October 15, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
I mean Non Divine as in Heroic Devotion.
I know of Unfettered Heroism, but am in need of Action Points to activate it do to not starting with Action Points.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #474 on: October 15, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
Q149:

What's the easiest way to get Smite Law/Chaos without taking a template/alternate paladin?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #475 on: October 15, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »
Q 141: Is there anyway to make constructs affected by bardic music? Specifically Astral constructs (coming from a shaper/constructor) gaining the benefit of dragonfire inspiration.
Technically DFA isn't Mind-Affecting. Read it closely.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #476 on: October 15, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Q 141: Is there anyway to make constructs affected by bardic music? Specifically Astral constructs (coming from a shaper/constructor) gaining the benefit of dragonfire inspiration.
Technically DFA isn't Mind-Affecting. Read it closely.
AFAIK it's written somewhere that creatures immune to mind-affecting cannot gain morale bonuses.  In any case, Inspire Courage is a mind-affecting ability.  Dragonfire Inspiration's damage boost is based on the morale bonus to damage granted by Inspire Courage.  Since, for non-living constructs, this value is 0, there are no damage dice added.

That said, I'm fairly certain there's a feat in one of the Eberron books that allows bards to affect constructs.  If not, check Complete Adventurer for Requiem and just change all references to Undead to Constructs.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #477 on: October 15, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »
I know that morale is Mind-Affecting. It claims the 'normal morale bonus of IC' or something like that though.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #478 on: October 15, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »
I know that morale is Mind-Affecting. It claims the 'normal morale bonus of IC' or something like that though.
...and for astral constructs, that value is zero.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #479 on: October 15, 2010, 11:39:01 PM »
I know that morale is Mind-Affecting.
Where is this actually stated?  I know that most Morale bonuses are from mind-affecting effects, but I can think of two cases where this isn't the case (Barbarian Rage bonus to Will saves and the Aura of Vitality spell in Spell Compendium).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.