Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186130 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #380 on: October 12, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
Q121: Do you loose skill points with a low Int score? i.e. if a half-orc fighter has an Int of 6, does he still get two skill points per level, or none? For that matter, if a human fighter has an int of 8, does he get 2 or 3 points per level?
IIRC, yes - to a minimum of 1.
Correct. The mentioned Human Fighter would get 2 skill points, while the Half-Orc would get 1.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »
Q121: Do you loose skill points with a low Int score? i.e. if a half-orc fighter has an Int of 6, does he still get two skill points per level, or none? For that matter, if a human fighter has an int of 8, does he get 2 or 3 points per level?
Correct. The mentioned Human Fighter would get 2 skill points, while the Half-Orc would get 1.
I thought that the extra human point applies last.....
Where is the rule for that?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #382 on: October 12, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »
Here's a better question: does a Human Fighter (or any 2+Int skill points/level) with 6 INT get 1 or 2 skill points per level?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: October 12, 2010, 08:21:01 PM »
Here's a better question: does a Human Fighter (or any 2+Int skill points/level) with 6 INT get 1 or 2 skill points per level?

That's exaxtly what I mean......
When does the extra human skill point apply,before or after Intelligence is considered?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #384 on: October 12, 2010, 08:32:48 PM »
I assume you'd get to apply it in the most favorable way.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: October 12, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
FAQ had an entry on that, Human Bonus point is just that, a bonus point. It is unaffected by Int. You get it in addition to the minimum 1 you get.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #386 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:18 PM »
Q 122 If I'm only going to ever have 1 effective lvl in Druid, and plan to get into very high levels, is it worthwhile to use the Cityscape Web Enhancement to convert my animal companion into an Urban companion/familiar? [the familiar gets some rather nice stuff like giving me Alertness, save sharing, imp. evasion, ability to comm. with same type of animal, free to replace in 24 hrs if it dies, and 3/4 of my HP]

I'm actually somewhat convinced by my own explanation..., so on to the next part:

Q 122b The game is supposed to include a bit of paranoia and reduced reliance on magic, so should I go with bat (blindsense 20') or hummingbird (init +4)? The point is to pick a dimunitive familiar who will get full cover for being in my square. Sad thing is they would be of no use in a grapple, as they get no natural attacks.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #387 on: October 12, 2010, 11:23:24 PM »
Q123: Can you apply the TWF tree to natural attacks?

Q123b: How do Improved Rapidstrike and Improved Multiattack interact?

Q123c: What was the name of that feat from Dragon that required 3d6 Eldritch Blast damage? It had beast in the name somewhere.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #388 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:50 PM »
Q123: Can you apply the TWF tree to natural attacks?

Q123b: How do Improved Rapidstrike and Improved Multiattack interact?

Q123c: What was the name of that feat from Dragon that required 3d6 Eldritch Blast damage? It had beast in the name somewhere.
A) They don't.  TWF requires manufactured weapons or unarmed strikes, natural weapons will always be considered secondary weapons relative to that.

B) They mostly don't.  If your natural attack routine is this:
+0 Bite/-5 Claw/-5 Claw
and then you add Improved Rapidstrike, your routine is this:
+0 Bite/-5 Claw/-5 Claw/-10 Claw/-15 Claw/etc...
If you then add Improved Multiattack, your routine is this:
+0 Bite/+0 Claw/+0 Claw/-5 Claw/-10 Claw/etc...

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #389 on: October 12, 2010, 11:46:39 PM »
Q109: I know I've seen a non-epic (sorry force dragons) creature that is impervious to the force descriptor. Where did I see it?
bump. I know it exists, though it wasn't called "immunity"
Megabump

Hasn't anyone else gone through all the various monster books?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #390 on: October 12, 2010, 11:54:42 PM »
Q124- Is there any way to replace a Fort save with a Reflex or Will save, or get intelligence instead of con to Fort saves?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #391 on: October 12, 2010, 11:56:07 PM »
Q124- Is there any way to replace a Fort save with a Reflex or Will save, or get intelligence instead of con to Fort saves?
Undead can effectively get Charisma to Fort saves if they have the Mind over Body maneuver (attainable via a 3k cost magic item).

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: October 13, 2010, 12:01:55 AM »
Q125:

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #393 on: October 13, 2010, 12:04:02 AM »
Okay, but I don't want Cha to Fort, I want Will, Reflex or Int.

Also, undead are out for the specific game I need this for, should have mentioned that. Temlates are free upon approval so anything template related that isn't undead or evil is good.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #394 on: October 13, 2010, 12:10:43 AM »
Q125:
I'd say it applies, but YMMV.

Okay, but I don't want Cha to Fort, I want Will, Reflex or Int.

Also, undead are out for the specific game I need this for, should have mentioned that. Temlates are free upon approval so anything template related that isn't undead or evil is good.
Mind over Body is still a good thing to grab.  It replaces your Fortitude save with a Concentration check as an immediate action 1/encounter.  It's not exactly what you're looking for, but with Concentration-boosting items it'll provide a much higher bonus.  I think there's even a way to base Concentration checks off Intelligence, but I'm far less certain of that.

Mhirnatsu

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #395 on: October 13, 2010, 01:00:34 AM »
Q126a

For the CA ninja, it says that sudden strike damage is treated as sneak attack damage when qualifying for feats. Would this include the benefits of the Telling Blow feat from PHBII? ie. If I land a critical hit, do I get to apply my sudden strike damage even if the opponent is not denied it's dex bonus?

Q126b

For sudden strike it states that you cannot use it on a creature whose vitals are out of reach. Could you, with a level 7 ninja, use speed climb to ascend an enemy to a point where their vitals are in reach, strike, and then use wall jumper skill trick to jump away from the beast and back to ground. (assuming that it was within your movement limit)

Q127

I've heard people refer to overcoming immunities to sneak attack damage, but they never seem to reference where it is from. Can you please let me know what spell or ability or whatever would allow someone to overcome such immunities? Or what book I would read about it?

Sorry, I'm kinda noobish. I've kinda been out of DnD since elf was a class, not a race.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: October 13, 2010, 01:16:12 AM »
How much can a flying creature carry and still fly?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: October 13, 2010, 01:26:02 AM »
How much can a flying creature carry and still fly?
A128 A standard light load.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #398 on: October 13, 2010, 01:53:03 AM »
Q126a

For the CA ninja, it says that sudden strike damage is treated as sneak attack damage when qualifying for feats. Would this include the benefits of the Telling Blow feat from PHBII? ie. If I land a critical hit, do I get to apply my sudden strike damage even if the opponent is not denied it's dex bonus?
Yes.  If something says Sneak Attack, you can use your Sudden Strike instead of or in addition to your Sneak Attack.

Q126b

For sudden strike it states that you cannot use it on a creature whose vitals are out of reach. Could you, with a level 7 ninja, use speed climb to ascend an enemy to a point where their vitals are in reach, strike, and then use wall jumper skill trick to jump away from the beast and back to ground. (assuming that it was within your movement limit)
Generally speaking, this is not necessary.  If any square of a creature's space is within your reach, their vitals are within reach.  Striking at extremities generally refers to fighting creatures like Krakens with absurd reach numbers, where you ready an action to hit their tentacle as they attack in order to try and disable their natural attacks.  There really aren't any rules for this written.  If you need to climb up a monster and hit it in the head to strike a vital point, then you're already in the houserules territory and should consult your DM.  What you propose sounds very reasonable with Spring Attack, but if you don't have that feat then you'd likely climb up, stab, and then be stuck there on the enemy's turn.  Also, you're almost certainly going to have to enter the creature's space in order to do this, which would provoke an AoO.

Q127

I've heard people refer to overcoming immunities to sneak attack damage, but they never seem to reference where it is from. Can you please let me know what spell or ability or whatever would allow someone to overcome such immunities? Or what book I would read about it?
There are a lot.  The most obvious are Gravestrike, Golemstrike, and Vinestrike.  They were originally printed in CAv, but I don't think they actually got re-printed in SC.  Wands of these spells are cheap and useful, as they're all first level and, thanks to Rules Compendium, activate as Swift actions.  The Wand Bracelet in MiC is like a Glove of Storing on steroids and will allow you to keep these items at the ready.

Sorry, I'm kinda noobish. I've kinda been out of DnD since elf was a class, not a race.
Dude... I remember playing an Elf when I was... 12?  Was pretty awesome.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #399 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:55 AM »

Q127

There are a lot.  The most obvious are Gravestrike, Golemstrike, and Vinestrike.  They were originally printed in CAv, but I don't think they actually got re-printed in SC.  Wands of these spells are cheap and useful, as they're all first level and, thanks to Rules Compendium, activate as Swift actions.  The Wand Bracelet in MiC is like a Glove of Storing on steroids and will allow you to keep these items at the ready.

A 127:
Grave Strike(undead), Golem Strike(constructs), and Vine Strike(plants) were indeed reprinted in the Spell Compendium.  Swift Action activation, 1st level spells that let you ignore sneak attack immunities for 1 round.

There are the Greater Truedeath, and Greater Demolition weapon crystals from the Magic Item Compendium.  They let whatever weapon they are attached to ignore sneak attack and critical strike immunites.

There is the Alternative Class Feature in Dungeonscape that lets you deal 1/2 sneak attack dice to creatures normally immune, but only when flanking.  You trade Trap Sense for it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:48:14 AM by bananaphone »