Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186115 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »

Q 38 The Evolved template. If you take that multiple times, does the fast healing stack? Go from 3 to 6 to 9 each round? How does that work with a creature that already have fast healing, like a vampire? Does that stack as well?
I believe technically it doesn't.  It grants fast healing N, instead of increasing your fast healing by N (similar to how energy resistance works).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »

Q 38 The Evolved template. If you take that multiple times, does the fast healing stack? Go from 3 to 6 to 9 each round? How does that work with a creature that already have fast healing, like a vampire? Does that stack as well?
I believe technically it doesn't.  It grants fast healing N, instead of increasing your fast healing by N (similar to how energy resistance works).
If that's true, and you can take the template multiple times, wouldn't that lower the CR or LA because you're not getting it all?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
Q39: Is there an Expert Handbook?

If not, I call dibs.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2010, 11:51:57 PM »

If not, I call dibs.
Step 1: Take the factotum handbook
Step 2: Remove 90% of it
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.
Planetouched Handbook

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:54 PM »

If not, I call dibs.
Step 1: Take the factotum handbook
Step 2: Remove 90% of it
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.
A39: In other words, google says no, go right ahead.

Srsly. Factotum.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
Q34: Spontaneous caster with the Corrupt Arcana feat (which allows you to prepare corrupt spells from a spellbook). Ultimate Magus. Profit? (To clarify: can a spontaneous caster use the Corrupt Arcana feat to cheat his way into Ultimate Magus, then increase his sorcerer level on both ends? If so, why? If not, why not?)

Bumpity-bump-da-bum-bum-bump!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »
A34: Good question. It looks like it would get you into Ultimate Magus, but since sorcerer isn't technically a prepared casting class, you wouldn't get nearly double the progression. It would be a 10/10 progression and get you a higher CL (and some Corrupt spells known as a sorcerer), but I think that's about it. Maybe.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »
Wording for UM doesn't let you apply it to the same class.
Planetouched Handbook

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2010, 03:41:31 AM »
q 40. when a druid has a animal companion, say a wolf. and the druid is 10th level. when he advances the wolfs HD to 10. does the wolf get the normal bene's of advancing? like, size increase, str/con bonus, dmg increase etc?
some one is arguing with me about this and says:
"if you reference the monster manual, monsters increase in size if they gain additional -racial- hit die, not class hit die, and being an animal companion or familiar or mount is considered class hit die"

so idk if im still thinking 3.0 or what.... i remember specifically thats why the legendary animal companions were created. because a high level druids companion is usually to big to be practical in town/cramped dungeons.

whats the deal? i would love a good answer on this, any links specifying would be appriciated.

edit: wow i just read:  http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070206a
rules of the game part 4. and that says with bonus hd for a animal companion they do not increase in size.  is this the current rules? i guess they must of changed it since 3.0  .......
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:45:12 AM by dna1 »
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2010, 04:00:13 AM »
A40: I believe that is an FAQ ruling from the Sage, so while it can be argued, that's likely the default stance.  Generally speaking, you don't really gain that much from the size increase as opposed to taking a higher-level Animal Companion (unless, of course, you're looking to advance a Fleshraker in size).  Seriously, at the same time that you get a Large Wolf by size advancement, you also get a Dire Wolf, which has almost exactly the same stats.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »
q41 Cheapest way to get Fire Immunity or (Resistance 50+) on a wand? What about Cold? Sonic/Lightning...? Any damage type.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
q41 Cheapest way to get Fire Immunity or (Resistance 50+) on a wand? What about Cold? Sonic/Lightning...? Any damage type.
I would imagine Alter Self would be the cheapest, although specific energy immunities are dependant on type.  A Dragonwrought Kobold can get a large number of them, but Humanoids I think are basically limited to Electricity (via Lesser Mechantrix).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2010, 01:14:22 PM »
Q42: Consider a Focused Conjurer (Abrupt Jaunt) Wizard that has been blinded. Would he still  be able to avoid an attack (specifically ranged) using an immediate Abrupt Jaunt, or would he fail to avoid it due to the Blinded clause of: "All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail."

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »
Q43.

Superior Planar Summoning (Ex):

How exactly does this class property affect Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally? Doesn't it have a fixed list of creatures summon-able? Can you progress summons?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »
Q43.

Superior Planar Summoning (Ex):

How exactly does this class property affect Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally? Doesn't it have a fixed list of creatures summon-able? Can you progress summons?

You use monster manuals guideline to advance the outsider you summoned by 4 hd.....
For example if you summon a leonal with summon monster 9 it will have 16 hd instead of 12 and of course all the benefits from the increased hit dice....

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »
Q42: Consider a Focused Conjurer (Abrupt Jaunt) Wizard that has been blinded. Would he still  be able to avoid an attack (specifically ranged) using an immediate Abrupt Jaunt, or would he fail to avoid it due to the Blinded clause of: "All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail."
I'd say he'd need to make a listen check to hear it coming.
Planetouched Handbook

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2010, 03:56:57 PM »
Q44
is there a limit on Free Actions per round ?

as far as i can tell, there is no Limit [spoiler]
from here:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/actionsInCombat.html#free-action You can also perform one or more free actions. You can always take a move action in place of a standard action.

In some situations (such as in a surprise round), you may be limited to taking only a single move action or standard action.

Standard Action: A standard action allows you to do something, most commonly make an attack or cast a spell. See Table: Actions in Combat for other standard actions.

Move Action: A move action allows you to move your speed or perform an action that takes a similar amount of time. See Table: Actions in Combat.

You can take a move action in place of a standard action. If you move no actual distance in a round (commonly because you have swapped your move for one or more equivalent actions), you can take one 5-foot step either before, during, or after the action.

Full-Round Action: A full-round action consumes all your effort during a round. The only movement you can take during a full-round action is a 5-foot step before, during, or after the action. You can also perform free actions (see below).

Some full-round actions do not allow you to take a 5-foot step.

Some full-round actions can be taken as standard actions, but only in situations when you are limited to performing only a standard action during your round. The descriptions of specific actions, below, detail which actions allow this option.

Free Action: Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
Q44
is there a limit on Free Actions per round ?

as far as i can tell, there is no Limit [spoiler]
from here:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/actionsInCombat.html#free-action You can also perform one or more free actions. You can always take a move action in place of a standard action.

In some situations (such as in a surprise round), you may be limited to taking only a single move action or standard action.

Standard Action: A standard action allows you to do something, most commonly make an attack or cast a spell. See Table: Actions in Combat for other standard actions.

Move Action: A move action allows you to move your speed or perform an action that takes a similar amount of time. See Table: Actions in Combat.

You can take a move action in place of a standard action. If you move no actual distance in a round (commonly because you have swapped your move for one or more equivalent actions), you can take one 5-foot step either before, during, or after the action.

Full-Round Action: A full-round action consumes all your effort during a round. The only movement you can take during a full-round action is a 5-foot step before, during, or after the action. You can also perform free actions (see below).

Some full-round actions do not allow you to take a 5-foot step.

Some full-round actions can be taken as standard actions, but only in situations when you are limited to performing only a standard action during your round. The descriptions of specific actions, below, detail which actions allow this option.

Free Action: Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

Reasonable limits.  But otherwise no.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:16 PM »
Q55: In any of the sourcebooks out there, is there a monk special weapon with reach? Or a way for a monk to flurry with a reach weapon? (I'm looking for an actual weapon, not a feat like long arms or such).

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »
Q55: In any of the sourcebooks out there, is there a monk special weapon with reach? Or a way for a monk to flurry with a reach weapon? (I'm looking for an actual weapon, not a feat like long arms or such).

A 55: Tiger-something style, from Secret of Sarlone, is a feat, granted, but it turns the twin TigerHook Swords into a reach weapon.