Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition  (Read 186139 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Q 1

Will we ever stop adding to this meme?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 18: Lucid Dreaming Ghost Pixie Hood Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
A1: Of course not, I think this is actually pretty awesome.

Q2: What makes the Ghost progression so super-fantabulous that it warrants a place in someone's sig?

Q3: I need some divination spells so my DM will reveal to me the future!  What are some good ones?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »
Q2: What makes the Ghost progression so super-fantabulous that it warrants a place in someone's sig?
A 2

The fact that you don't need to take the levels in succession, or even all of them. So you could be incorporeal for 1 LA, and then buy that LA off. If you feel like it, you can then take a second level and buy that off, and so on. The perks that being a Ghost gives you are already pretty amazing, but this makes the harsh LA child's play.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »

Q3: I need some divination spells so my DM will reveal to me the future!  What are some good ones?

A3: Contact other plane when used intelligently can theoretically grant you complete knowledge of all future events. Using it this way will cause your DM to beat you over the head with the player's handbook however.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »

A3: Contact other plane when used intelligently can theoretically grant you complete knowledge of all future events. Using it this way will cause your DM to beat you over the head with the player's handbook however.

After he's broken the DMG over your face first.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:20:39 PM »
A 2

The fact that you don't need to take the levels in succession, or even all of them. So you could be incorporeal for 1 LA, and then buy that LA off. If you feel like it, you can then take a second level and buy that off, and so on. The perks that being a Ghost gives you are already pretty amazing, but this makes the harsh LA child's play.
LA + 1)You're normally incorporeal, but can still target yourself with corporeal-only abilities via the ethereal plane.  Because of your ability to go ethereal at will, you can avoid many of things that hinder incorporeal creatures (like a limit of going 10' into surfaces).  You have perfect fly speed.  If your cha is high, you've now got a really good AC.  Plus, undead immunities, and if you're using taint, one or two bonus feats.

LA+2) You get CL 12 telekinesis every d4+1 rounds.  Or some other power if you're lame, I guess.  This can be gained at ECL 3, and is enough to decimate anything approaching a level-appropriate encounter.  (firing only normal bolts will get you a ridiculously good damage potential).  Telekinesis also is an excellent utility spell.  Also, CHA+2.

LA+3) Once you can succeed on a DC 16 level check, you're immune to death.  There are several abilities you can use to get rather substantial bonuses to this check (surge of malevolence, for instance), but just getting 15 hd works too.

LA+4) More charisma, and your choice of greater ghost power (or two lesser powers).  They are all pretty cool.  There's a few extra powers from faerun or libris mortis you might be able to add as well - major image at will is nifty, even if it isn't quite as powerful as malevolence.

LA+5) No.  Just No.  Never take this level ever.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
A 2

LA + 1)You're normally incorporeal, but can still target yourself with corporeal-only abilities via the ethereal plane.  Because of your ability to go ethereal at will, you can avoid many of things that hinder incorporeal creatures (like a limit of going 10' into surfaces).  You have perfect fly speed.  If your cha is high, you've now got a really good AC.  Plus, undead immunities, and if you're using taint, one or two bonus feats.

LA+2) You get CL 12 telekinesis every d4+1 rounds.  Or some other power if you're lame, I guess.  This can be gained at ECL 3, and is enough to decimate anything approaching a level-appropriate encounter.  (firing only normal bolts will get you a ridiculously good damage potential).  Telekinesis also is an excellent utility spell.  Also, CHA+2.

LA+3) Once you can succeed on a DC 16 level check, you're immune to death.  There are several abilities you can use to get rather substantial bonuses to this check (surge of malevolence, for instance), but just getting 15 hd works too.

LA+4) More charisma, and your choice of greater ghost power (or two lesser powers).  They are all pretty cool.  There's a few extra powers from faerun or libris mortis you might be able to add as well - major image at will is nifty, even if it isn't quite as powerful as malevolence.

LA+5) No.  Just No.  Never take this level ever.

Okay, and what's this deal with buying off levels?  I'm familiar with buying off levels, but it seems like someone is suggesting some strange interaction that makes them buy off weird.

Q4: Need a way to trade in a domain's spells for some benefit (the spells are awful) but keep the Domain Power.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »
LA buyoff occurs at level3 if you have LA+1, level 6 if you have LA+2, level 9 if you have LA+3, et cetera.

If you take one level of the progression every three levels, you can buy off the first LA at level 3, the second at level 6, et cetera.
Planetouched Handbook

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
A3:  The namesake spell Divination is pretty powerful if you're good at understanding your DM's take on cryptic phrases and omens.  If you can figure out that "Leave the haunted doors alone; seek ye out a door of stone" means "enter the fireplace and climb into the locked upstairs bedroom through the two-story chimney," you can get a lot of use out of a spell like that.  If not, it's a waste of a spell slot, casting time, and material components.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
LA buyoff occurs at level3 if you have LA+1, level 6 if you have LA+2, level 9 if you have LA+3, et cetera.

If you take one level of the progression every three levels, you can buy off the first LA at level 3, the second at level 6, et cetera.

Alright, I'm feeling dense...how is this an improvement? >_>

Never mind, think I got it.  Rather than waiting for level 9 to buy off the first one, you've already bought off the first two and you're buying off the third.  Sorry I'm slow.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 06:55:39 PM »

Alright, I'm feeling dense...how is this an improvement? >_>

Never mind, think I got it.  Rather than waiting for level 9 to buy off the first one, you've already bought off the first two and you're buying off the third.  Sorry I'm slow.
correct.   :thumb

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 07:02:11 PM »
Q 5: What psionic analogue is there to unfettered heroism?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 07:02:52 PM »
A 5

Unfettered Heroism ripped by a StP Erudite.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
Q6
For a gray elf Psion (Telepath), what are the best ways to minc control someone in combat pre-dominate?

Also, what are the best ways pre-dominate to mind control someone out of combat?

If mind control isn't viable, what do you recommend as an alternative combat option?

PS: Hood.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
A 5

Classy  ;)
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »
Q6
For a gray elf Psion (Telepath), what are the best ways to minc control someone in combat pre-dominate?

Also, what are the best ways pre-dominate to mind control someone out of combat?

If mind control isn't viable, what do you recommend as an alternative combat option?

PS: Hood.
A6
use the Skill: Diplomacy .... combined with Psionic CharmTelempathic Projection(adjusting its attitude toward you by one step in a positive direction) = Friendly> Helpful ..... then use Diplomacy to make them Fanatic(DC 50)

:D

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
A 5

I.e. hose the mantle ACF for ardens, gotcha :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Q4: Need a way to trade in a domain's spells for some benefit (the spells are awful) but keep the Domain Power.

And Q7: With my new found knowledge of how silly savage progressions are, are any of the others any good or is ghost some bizarre outlier that's amazing in a pile of poop?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »

And Q7: With my new found knowledge of how silly savage progressions are, are any of the others any good or is ghost some bizarre outlier that's amazing in a pile of poop?
A4: Not that I know of.  You can lose the domain power or the whole domain, but not just the spells.  Planar touchstone will get you the domain power without the spells, so consider doing that instead.

The web ones are all pretty decent (since they're the only ones with the "not in uninterrupted succession" rule).  The racial classes for aasimar/tiefling are also pretty cool, since you get LA+0 outsider type and fringe benefits.  Transition classes are best taken with Racial0 or lesser versions of the base race.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
Q 8a Can the spell, Arms of Plenty, be put on a thri-kreen for an additional two claw attacks? Also, how does it work if they're supposed to be the primary attack? For instance, the bite is usually the primary attack with the claws being second. So does this mean that the bite and those claws are the primary, but the other claws would be secondary?

Q 9b Can you use that spell to wield multiple weapons instead of doing claw attacks?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.