Author Topic: Perfect Defense!  (Read 5441 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: Perfect Defense!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
Damn.

Oh well, I guess I have to scrap my build that gets what is basically a 20 ft step each time they generate an AoO...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 04:42:03 AM »
You can still use it to break full attacks you know.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 04:54:07 AM »
Starmantle Cloak + Ring of Evasion still (debatable) works.

I think something like this may be possible with Psionics and that power that gives you readied actions.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »
This is an old trick, but all it protects you from is full-attacks. On a 20 level scale that's a very valuable ability, because full-attacks are usually where the hurt is.

How about combining it with a defensive maneuver such as Blade Parry?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 12:52:07 AM »
I thought save or lose (or no save, just lose) attacks were where the hurt was.  Hmmm... could be amusing on a Swiftblade.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 06:00:07 AM »
I thought save or lose (or no save, just lose) attacks were where the hurt was.  Hmmm... could be amusing on a Swiftblade.
Of course, yes... more hurt. Still, when old-fashioned HP damage is concerned, you don't want to be full-attacked by some monster with double your HD and BAB.

atewi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 11:43:11 AM »
Yeah, it's better to absorb one of the Tarrasque's attacks, than endure all 6. When fighting a Balor being able to avoid the whip, entanglement and most of the sword attacks is invaluable.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »
Yeah, it's better to absorb one of the Tarrasque's attacks, than endure all 6. When fighting a Balor being able to avoid the whip, entanglement and most of the sword attacks is invaluable.

Tarrasque is a bad example, I think, it's quite accurate but its damage numbers are unimpressive at that point.  A frenzied berserker ubercharger, on the other hand, that's someone whose full attack you want to avoid, if you even live through the first swing.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 04:01:18 AM »
I feel this has been done before with Lockdown builds.

Reach + Standstill + Combat Reflexes = Perfect Defense to approaching foes, correct? I can get 50 foot like it ain't no thang (see below).

Omega reach: Warshaper 3 (Complete Warrior, class), Permanency Enlarge Person (both PHB, spells), Inhuman Reach (Lords of Madness, feat), Deformity (tall) (Book of Vile Darkness, feat), reach weapon to double that all = 50 foot reach.

Is this a perfect defense?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:10:34 AM by Saxony »
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »
Lots of feats in that one.

Polymorph on a lockdown build beats it for simplicity :).