Author Topic: [edit] Need some help with my Cleric  (Read 4574 times)

Sstrad

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
[edit] Need some help with my Cleric
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »
Well, people, I have a to create a priest, to replace my funny sorcerer, because I'm the last to arrive in the campaign and, well, we need a priest :scared

So this is what I don't want! A healing machine. No way!

I want a Fighting priest who can heal and buff, but damn, I want to make the barbarian cry for his mommy!

Here is the setting:

We are playing in the Forgotten realms, a year after the Time of troubles.

He must be Human, Level 12, 32 points for stats, worship Amaunator/ Lathander ( Domains   Law, Nobility, Planning, Sun, Time), and I have no books restrictions (except Dragon magazines).
Well, the Amaunator thing is something I still discuss with my GM, 'cause we found a toomb of a worshiper of the forgotten god Amaunator.
And I had the idea that I could play this guy ... back from death to bring Amaunator in the sunlight (  ;) ). If my GM say no, just forget the Amaunator worshipping and you have no other limit than Human and level 12.

Thanks guys.

Well, after reading the cleric handbook, I change my mind, and I created 2 builds I wish you could comments, thanks all.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:31:07 AM by Sstrad »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: My Figthing Priest, yes, fellas, I need your help.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
Follower of a dead deity?  Does that sounds like *drum roll* Ur Priest Time!  Lawful Evil of course. :D
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »
Planning and Time are good. Sets you up for DMM and allows... Celerity as a domain spell, I think it was?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »
Planning and Time are good. Sets you up for DMM and allows... Celerity as a domain spell, I think it was?

Haste, not Celerity.  There are no domains with Celerity AFAIK.

Edit: More ideas for Ur Priest

Enter with Paladin of Tyranny 3/Hexblade 2 (or Paladin of Tyranny 2/Hexblade 3 depends if you want the Aura of Despair or Mettle.)
H: Extend Spell
1: Spell Focus Evil
3: Iron Will
6: Persistent Spell
9: Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:21:23 PM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »
I'd second Rebel7284 idea of an Ur priest.

You can go something like Paladin of Tyranny 3/Cloistered Cleric 2/Ur Priest 7.
Alternatively, if you don't want to play evil, just go Cleric 5/Ordained Champion5/Cleric 2 (of whatever deity coresponds to Heironeous or Hextor in FR; FR pantheon is not really my strong point sorry).

Of course DMM: PErsistent is the best route to follw if you want a badass combat cleric.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
Not sure If I can second cloistered cleric, after all, those that enter Ur Priest lose all divine casting.  Don't remember if you can still keep the domains.. Regardless, certainly NOT to level 2.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
This won't be the most CharOp thing, but if you're actually in the Realms, and the lore is enforced, the 'correct' way to actually be a part of the Amaunator faith would be to take Servant of the Fallen (LEoF). Those of such faith are generally part of the Brotherhood of the Glorious Sun, a sect of the Lathander church.

Continuing on the theme, you can go Cleric 5 / Sunmaster 7 as a start.
Law & Sun domains
Law -> Law Devotion is pretty nice

You get the Planning domain at Sunmaster 7

Then it's just a matter of following the usual stuff in the cleric handbook with regards to DMM/Persist, and go to town bash & burninating things.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

Sstrad

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 07:01:18 PM »
Thanks guys, for the help. 

I can't play an evil char, since he is worshipping Amaunator (LG god), so I will go for the: 5 cleric/ 5 ordained Champs/ 2 cleric, I think.

Nunkuruji, your advice is good for the theme, but well ... I want a baddass ! A barbarian's butt kicker  :lol

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
well luckily for you, that when a cleric is 12th level its not hard to surpass the fighters.

unfortunately for you, i despise clerics so i dont have any builds. i would suggest looking in the cleric handbook.

or alternatively if your DM is allowing a Savage Species progression, go Ghaele.. has nat cleric casting but is oh so much cooler.

also, Druids work equally as well for healing purposes. and twice as good for ass kicking purposes. If your just looking for something that can handle all your curing needs, but is not a cure spec. id say go druid. you can summon unicorns for healing, have a animal companion... plus go wildshape and make your barb cry cause your better then him in every way(plus you can read)
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
Wikipedia says Lawful Neutral...

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »

even still, he wouldnt be able to be an ur-priest

Sstrad

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
well... I just read the Cleric handbook.

What about a 5 cleric/5 ordained champion/xx bone knight ? (I'm really having a hard time to explain how an Amaunator's worshipper can become a Bone knight)
At the end, the guy will be 5 cleric/5 ordained champion/10 bone knight.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:11 PM »

even still, he wouldnt be able to be an ur-priest

Why not?  A cleric can be one step away from his/her deity as long as the deity is not true neutral.  MOREOVER, Ur Priest doesn't technically have these restrictions not being a cleric and all. :P 

Frankly, IMO, it's easier to justify than bone knight. 

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »
herp derp read the ur priest adaptation that states it is not inherently evil and can be easily adapted to fit the role of any dead god

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »
Urby Knight Vindicator?

Paladin of Tyrrany, Hexblade, Blackguard, and Crusader seem to fit here.  Take a Barbarian level for Pounce and you're set!
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
herp derp read the ur priest adaptation that states it is not inherently evil and can be easily adapted to fit the role of any dead god

oh really?

herp derp.. This is straight out of the Complete Divine

To qualify to become an Ur-Priest, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:

* Alignment: Any evil.
 *Skills: Bluff 6 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
 *Feats: Iron Will, Spell Focus (evil)
 *Base Save Bonus: Fort +3, Will +3.
 *Special: The character must have no ability to cast divine spells. If that ability was previously possessed (as with an ex-cleric), the ability must be forever forsaken.
 *Special: The character must be trained by another ur-priest.

hm. wow thats really odd. im not sure about what book you are referencing..  not to mention, every build I have EVER seen for the ur-priest is evil based.

feel free to show me what your referencing  :D

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
herp derp read the paragraph above it. you know, the ur priest adaptation.

I only herp derp because this is at least the 6th time i've mentioned it on these boards/GitP. and I've seen Kell mention it another 5 times. why don't people read adaptation sections? they're cool! almost every class in CDiv has one!

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »
Iv read it and it doesnt say anything about not being evil. yea it says they could be ex-clerics that have lost connection due to a god fading. or that they can exist to elevate someone/something to god hood.

Theres nothing that says to ignore the big prereqs section directly below it.
I guess if thats how you take it then thats your opinion... but just RAW i dont see anything saying specifically that they dont have to be evil.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:00:49 PM by dna1 »

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:40:24 PM by BruceLeeroy »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »
Of course, adaptations that don't have explicit mechanics are basically homebrew
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.