Author Topic: Having fun with SLAs and optimizing homebrew.  (Read 991 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Having fun with SLAs and optimizing homebrew.
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:56:27 PM »
This is the homebrew. I'm going to be playing this from level one. Lets brainstorm! Things to consider: I gave away Alchemy at level 2 in exchange for at will cantrips, I do have a familiar and more homebrew is allowed but discouraged, including logical madeup ACFs or new invocations.

Obviously Power Word Pain is going to be one of me Lesser Invocations. It's just too good. What else should I start with though? I'm thinking Elemental Animation for utilities sake. Magic Missile might be fun, and could lead into Magic Missile Mage. So many choices. What do you guys think? What are eventual prestige classes to end up entering?

And the second and more general part of this topic, optimizing SLAs. Especially ones at will. My favorite ways to do this include Nosomatic Chirurgeon which allows you to turn SLAs into any Inflict spell of that level or lower. I recently discovered Draconic Breath from CArc which lets you spend an SLA as a 2d6 per spell level breath weapon. I'm going to avoid that feat because doing 4d6 acid damage at will at level 1 is stupid. I know about Quicken/Maximize/Blah SLA feats. Most of them seem poor in that you must be very high level before they become of any use. MortalBane is a favorite of mine, allowing for 5/day nova at low levels. Magic In the Blood is worth pointing out for some races, i'm not sure if any of them are worth it for +0 LA, but Phrenic/Half Fey are great. Anyone got anything else?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Having fun with SLAs and optimizing homebrew.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:31:27 PM »
Devotion feats are SLAs.  I think that means you can mortalbane strength devotion and get a 3d6 natural attack a few times a day...
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Having fun with SLAs and optimizing homebrew.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:39:04 AM »
This is a powerful class, to say the least.

Lesser - Orbs at will starting level 6 is interesting.
Greater - Voodoo Doll is AMAZING! Ignore any and ALL protections is cool!
Greatest - Brewing Storm (double whole party's AC, always) and Void Magic (AMF, at range, and you won't really need to Concentrate with all the options to avoid that) are AMAZING!
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.