Author Topic: What if you had a feat every level?  (Read 5772 times)

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
What if you had a feat every level?
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »
Just a thought exercise I had, what if you were able to gain a feat every level instead of every 3? Do you think it could encourage more diversity of tactics/covering more roles, or would it give the higher tiers more power than the lower ones?

See if you can come up with some ideas or builds that utilize the abundance of feats!

Some ideas:

• Incantatrix and metamagic-reducing effects become horrific (well, more horrific)
  • Melee types could specialize in multiple tactics, since things like Improved Trip/Feint/Grapple/etc. become easier to fit.
  • 'Extra' feats become more friendly (and that DMM cleric got a lot scarier)
  • Factotum + Moar Font of Inspiration...
  • You'd get bonus points for style if you went Fighter 20. 31 feats anyone?
  • Perhaps the more random suplementary feats would get used more often than once in a blue moon

In addition to the funny things that it could enable, I'd actually like to see if it could be a viable ruling, in a similar vein as Gestalt.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: What if you had a feat every level?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »
I've seen this done before.  You can do some pretty cool things with incarnum, IIRC, and the dragonmark stuff becomes more worthwhile.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Talore

• Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »
I've seen this done before.  You can do some pretty cool things with incarnum, IIRC, and the dragonmark stuff becomes more worthwhile.
Aye, didn't think of those. I suppose the Sorcerer bloodline feats could be viable as well. How did the feat progression help (or help destroy) inter-party balance?
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
A related quote from the old The Wizards Community > Forum - d20 Character Optimization:
Quote from: Rymosrac;17676575
My last game allowed a virtually unlimited number of flaws. Most characters had around four or five. Mine had the most at seven. Party was an ubercharger / dungeoncrasher (me), a words of creation bard / sublime chord, a hyperbuffer archivist, a chaingun thrower rogue, and a fonts-o-freaking-inspiration factotum / chameleon.
I can't reference more of it, but the quoter praised the allowance.

If you [gain(ed)] a feat [at] every level, you would gain power. I do think that it encourages more covering more roles. I do think that it would give the higher tiers more power than the lower ones. It is a viable (but not necessarily good) ruling, like beginning with 5050000 XP (lvl. 100).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:56:08 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
To make it work, a complete ban on the Tier 1's and Tier 2's would have to go with it. With just the normal number of feats or even 0 feats they are powerful, with 20 feats... :bigeye.
It would many of the below Tier 3 more playable.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »
Well, you can't buy spells with feats (most of the time).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »
The Abberant/Draconic/Fey/etc Heritage chains get a little more fun.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
The Abberant/Draconic/Fey/etc Heritage chains get a little more fun used.
FTFY
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:12:31 PM »

Extra Spell and Domain Spontaneity come to mind. I'm sure there are others. Also it would make qualifying for PrCs a lot easier. Things like that Storm cleric class would get played.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »
Also it would make qualifying for PrCs a lot easier. Things like that Storm cleric class would get played.
It's stuff like this -- allowing people to straddle more roles and making usually suboptimal, and therefore rarely seen, stuff more viable -- that makes some bonus feats attractive to me.  I think 1/level might be a bit much for me, if only b/c I'm set in my ways, but the general principle has appeal.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 01:05:03 AM »
All gish would suddenly dip both Thralls and Bladesinger, since now they can waste the 2-3 extra feats per class.  Might lead to some impressive BAB/CL numbers, though it's hard to beat the Mystic Ranger of Doom >.>

Speaking of which, said Mystic Ranger would suddenly have the capability to play GOD on steroids, given that they'd have more combat ability, metamagic equal to the average incantatrix, and Node spellcasting (since now they have room) to power it.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »
If you don't mind limiting your race (not much of a limit, they're awesome) and alignment you can easily get a ton of feats; some limited, but a ton nonetheless. This is what a Dragonwrought Wyrm of War (Sovereign Archetype) Kobold serving an Elder Evil with two flaws looks like:

[spoiler]1 - Feat, Feat, Feat, Elder Evil Feat
2 -
3 - Feat
4 - Fighter Feat
5 - Elder Evil Feat
6 - Feat
7 -
8 - Fighter Feat
9 - Feat
10 - Elder Evil Feat
11 -
12 - Fighter Feat, Feat
13 -
14 -
15 - Elder Evil Feat, Feat
16 - Fighter Feat
17 -
18 - Feat
19 -
20 - Elder Evil Feat, Fighter Feat[/spoiler]

Same dude, but instead, VoP:

[spoiler]1 - Feat, Feat, Feat, Exalted Feat
2 - Exalted Feat
3 - Feat
4 - Fighter Feat,  Exalted Feat
5 -
6 - Feat, Exalted Feat
7 -
8 - Fighter Feat, Exalted Feat
9 - Feat
10 - Exalted Feat
11 -
12 - Fighter Feat, Feat,  Exalted Feat
13 -
14 - Exalted Feat
15 - Feat
16 - Fighter Feat, Exalted Feat
17 -
18 - Feat, Exalted Feat
19 -
20 - Fighter Feat, Exalted Feat[/spoiler]

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »
My last game I allowed a feat every level and in the one I'm running now I'm allowing a feat every odd level. I find that it allows the players more versatility and they don't feel so conflicted between feats because there's just a wait of a level at most. I think it's a good idea, especially if the players aren't actively trying to be a Tier 0 Character.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:24:29 AM »
No point in playing a Fighter, ever.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »
No point in playing a Fighter, ever.

Warblade 20 with EWP (Any, kitty litter initially if you want), WF (kitty litter), GWF (kitty litter), WSpec (kitty litter), GWSpec (kitty litter), Melee Weapon Mastery, Ranged Weapon Mastery, the three type specific feats, and Weapon Supremacy, just to say : "Be a weapon MASTER! in one EASY HOUR!  Hurry now, while supplies last!  :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »
IMHO, giving players more feats would maily mean 2 things:

1. Some weaker (prestige) classes will see more play. More feats means more options, and easier to qualify for some things.
2. Some already strong builds, that currently are limited in what they can do only by number of available feats, will become much more stronger (e.g Incantatrix or DMM cleric).

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »
A lot of obscure feats might see more use too.  There are a lot of them that are kinda nice once in a blue moon, but ultimately fall behind in priority to the more immediately useful feats.  If nothing else, some of the weaker metamagic feats would probably see more play.  People might dabble more in exotic weapons.  Uber chargeres would likely have Combat Brute and Elusive Target in addition to Shock Trooper.

I think it could be a fun exercise, but I agree that getting rid of the top classes might be necessary, or at least, don't give them the boost.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
I think the 'hybrid' classes like the bard, ranger, paladin, hexblade, and duskblade would probably get the most benefit. It makes it easier for those classes to expand on what they can do rather than just focusing on one or two things like those classes normally do.

The tier 1s are still tier 1s and the fighters and monks are still fighters and monks.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
IMHO, giving players more feats would maily mean 2 things:

1. Some weaker (prestige) classes will see more play. More feats means more options, and easier to qualify for some things.
2. Some already strong builds, that currently are limited in what they can do only by number of available feats, will become much more stronger (e.g Incantatrix or DMM cleric).
Alternately, I'd remove a lot of the prereqs from PrCs which aren't vital to the class (ie. by "vital" I mean they modify the ability from the prereq without advancing it, like Master of Many Forms - a non-spellcaster dipping a +1 spellcasting class would gain casting as if he took a level in wizard or sorcerer). Something like test-based prerequisites.

Because some people want to play an assassin without having to plan their build from lv1.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:31:19 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »

Weapon aptitude has this restriction:

However, you can't change the weapon choices in such a way that you no longer meet the prerequisite for some other feat you possess. 

This makes having both melee weapon mastery and ranged weapon mastery problematic.  It also makes having crushing strike, driving attack, and slashing flurry problematic.  Taking any of these feats makes a warblade less a master of all weapons than he was before.