Author Topic: Building a God  (Read 15485 times)

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: Building a God
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 07:31:27 AM »
@carnivore
I do prefer the epic VOP. I'm just adding in the 50 million GP if you can find a build that can make more use out of it compared to, say, epic VOP.

Also, Carnivore, I do like your build but, Antimagic Field. I'd simply like alternatives, thus the query about Iaijutsu master.

Also, Epic Destinies are allowed. Which destiny should I take for the Loremaster/Archmage build?

Also, another challenge to the community. Now, the challenge is to build a God which utilizes Eldritch Theurge.

what about Antimagic fields do you not like.... they will have the same impact on this build as any other?

also the link for EPIC Destinies does not work

for an Eldritch Theurge build .... you could use mine as a Base, but with Sorceror, like this:

Pixie
Warlock 3/ Sorceror 2/ Eldritch Theurge 10/ Loremaster 10/ Archmage 5/ EPIC Loremaster 20

Warlocks dont gain that much in EPIC play .... since thier abilities can be imitated by other casters easily ... especially if they have divine rank

:D

Sachiru

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »
Given that Iaijitsu Focus caps out at 9d6 damage the optimization really falls to the number of attacks per round.
How powerful do you want it?

As much as possible.

Also, Carnivore, I do like AMF, but I was concerned about how your build would perform inside an AMF. Also, the DM stated that the goal of the game was to reduce enemies to -10 HP, so, combat focused.

An friend of mine told me that, when properly built, an Iaijutsu-strike build can easily deal 10,000 damage in a single stroke, so how can that be done?

Sachiru

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
Also, Carnivore, I do like AMF, but I was concerned about how your build would perform inside an AMF. Also, the DM stated that the goal of the game was to reduce enemies to -10 HP, so, combat focused.
it will lose very little as far as Combat ... Salient Abilities are not affected by Antimagic Fields .... and when it is not in them, certain Spells ignore Antimagic Fields also(exa: Acid Orb,Instantaneous Conj(Creation) spells, etc...)
An friend of mine told me that, when properly built, an Iaijutsu-strike build can easily deal 10,000 damage in a single stroke, so how can that be done?
with a "Single Stroke" .... that would be impressive... see if he could give you the stats and you could post it .... make sure it is a 50 lvl Divine Rank 6 build with the same rules we are working with

Sachiru

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
it will lose very little as far as Combat ... Salient Abilities are not affected by Antimagic Fields .... and when it is not in them, certain Spells ignore Antimagic Fields also(exa: Acid Orb,Instantaneous Conj(Creation) spells, etc...)
with a "Single Stroke" .... that would be impressive... see if he could give you the stats and you could post it .... make sure it is a 50 lvl Divine Rank 6 build with the same rules we are working with

Sorry, by a single stroke, I meant a single round's worth of attacks, not just one attack.

He suggested stacking charisma-skill-based-check bonuses such as Marshal Motivate Dexterity, etc.

Sachiru

« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
Also, what spells are good on the loremaster wizard or sorcerer/warlock build? Maximized Twinned Repeating Energy Drain, then Blasphemy/Holy Word for the win?

Also, doesn't Epic VOP conflict with the need for a costly spellbook?

Also, does the wizard cast spells pseudo-spontaneously, like the sorcerer?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:01:00 PM by Sachiru »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »
Given that Iaijitsu Focus caps out at 9d6 damage the optimization really falls to the number of attacks per round.
How powerful do you want it?
There's an epic feat that uncaps it.
I was going to ask for a link.
Also, Epic Iaijutsu Master, with uncapped damage dice.
But then someone already did. ty.

Edit
Silverhair Armor (Su): At 13th level the sword dancer's hair becomes infused with divine energy and glows softly with silver light that illuminates a radius equal to 10 feet per point of Charisma modifier. The sword dancer can suppress and activate this glow as a free action.
Eh!? Jiraiya anyone?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:08:20 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2010, 06:51:51 PM »
Also, what spells are good on the loremaster wizard or sorcerer/warlock build? Maximized Twinned Repeating Energy Drain, then Blasphemy/Holy Word for the win?
while those might be good .... the build i gave just doesnt have the feats for that, it could be done if you adjust the feats away from the Deflect Arrows feat tree, and more Metamagic  ....  Avasculate is lots of Fun ... look first at spells with No Save/ No SR .... also look at examples of EPIC monsters.... and see what Common weaknesses are.

you will be able to do a lot with Replicate Casting and Limited Wish .... use your imagination

Also, doesn't Epic VOP conflict with the need for a costly spellbook?
here is a source of debate .... let your DM make the call .... you dont need to use a regular Spellbook, on page 186 of Complete Arcane there are examples of Alternate Spellbooks ... Tatoos

Also, does the wizard cast spells pseudo-spontaneously, like the sorcerer?
not this Build ... it could be entirely Spontaneous... just Substitute ARCANE MASTERY, and SPONTANEOUS WIZARD SPELLS and remove DIVINE DODGE and DIVINE FAST HEALING..... then there is no need for a Spellbook

Sachiru

« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »
Carnivore, many, many, many thanks!  :D I submitted your idea as my build, and nothing was rejected. Now, to populate it with a good list of spells...

What tactics would you recommend using this character? Also, is Contact Other Plane viable here?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
you are welcome .... btw, i needed to correct one small detail .... one of the Spell stowaway Feats should have been Spell Stowaway(Wish) , not Greater Teleport

you are free to pick and choose whatever you like .... the main goal of this build was to be very spontaneous with :

Innate Spell(Sphere of Ultimate Destruction)... main ranged Offense, since you can make several Spheres at once and control them all
Innate Spell(Limited Wish) .......................... Duplicate ANY 5th lvl or under + the Extras Limited Wish gives[spoiler]
Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.

Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lowera single creature automatically hitting on its next attackYou duplicate the effect of any one
spell or spell-like ability you have seen
within the last round. This spell can
duplicate only spells and spell-like
abilities of 8th level or lower.
This
duplication functions like the ability of
a wish spell to duplicate another spell,
except that it is not limited by type
of spell (divine or arcane) or by what
school the effect is from. If the casting
time of the spell you observed is greater
than 1 round, the casting time of this
spell is increased to the same.
A duplicated spell or spell-like ability
functions as if you had the appropriate
spell prepared and were casting it
yourself. If the spell or ability has an XP
cost, you must pay that XP cost. If the
spell has a costly material component,
you must provide that component or
pay an additional XP cost equal to the
gold piece value of that component
divided by 5.

........................................................[/spoiler]

you should be able to do whatever you like with little difficulty, and if you use CoP, you will also be able to prepare exactly what you need.

you can go into Melee Combat with Impunity.... since very few creature will be able to Hit your AC, even your Touch AC is almost un-hittable .... and you can reflect any ranged attack back at its source, and you can attack back vs any Melee Attack even if it misses you

you should be able to gather info very easily... just Look around with 6 Mile Clearsight+See Magic ... make sure you get Max Search and Spot ranks

just make sure you pick ranks in every Trained Only Skill and Max out Spellcraft + Hide(Cross Classed) and a few others even if they are Cross classed ... you should have at least 10 ranks in almost every skill(you can ignore some skills(except if they are required for Skill tricks)) and get 25 good skill tricks(Complete Scoundrel)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2010, 05:20:40 PM »
Replicate Casting = Alamanther's Return (spelling? from 3.0e) ... as in 'doink' that's what it's called

... you just have to "have seen with in the last round" the spell or (sp).
Item of Silent Image, or similar cheapy !!
Much quicker than Wiz's spellbook research.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »
But you haven't seen it.  You've seen something that looks like it.

Otherwise I could use silent image to get line of sight and snipe people through holograms.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »
@carnivore
I do prefer the epic VOP. I'm just adding in the 50 million GP if you can find a build that can make more use out of it compared to, say, epic VOP.

Also, Carnivore, I do like your build but, Antimagic Field. I'd simply like alternatives, thus the query about Iaijutsu master.

Also, Epic Destinies are allowed. Which destiny should I take for the Loremaster/Archmage build?

Also, another challenge to the community. Now, the challenge is to build a God which utilizes Eldritch Theurge.

what about Antimagic fields do you not like.... they will have the same impact on this build as any other?

The exalted feats are supernatural so you will loss out on VoP which will eat your epic VOP inherent bonuses.  A quick post from work so I am without books, but I dont think inherent bonuses have a listed SU or EX so normal character probably would not loss them.  Also if you do the feat shuffle will all your bonus VoP feats, I would think they would also go away since they are supplied from VoP.  Not a big deal as long as you don't use any of them from PrC entry which might lock you out of some abilites that are EX.  But generally you are just as bad off as most other caster builds in an AMF.

Hmm, maybe you could have a spell book though while in the AMF since you VoP goes away ;)

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »

Otherwise I could use silent image to get line of sight and snipe people through holograms.
You can with Shadow Illusion Silent Images.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »
Shucks ... then un-shucks thanks to BeSlay.
A spell casting production line of some sort works, it's just annoying.

SDAs - I like Avatars. Basically a bunch of DvR 3 clones.
Proxies also work. Basically a bunch of DvR 1 semi-clones, but no need for the SDA slot.
Regardless, the Avatars and/or Proxies don't have to be VoP ganked.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »

You can with Shadow Illusion Silent Images.
In which case you've now seen a shadow illusion silent image.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sachiru

« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
What about epic spells? What epic spells are good to use on atropals, tarrasques, balors, titans etc?

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2010, 11:40:57 AM »
What about epic spells? What epic spells are good to use on atropals, tarrasques, balors, titans etc?

The vast majority of Epic spells printed in actual books blow goats harder than the Warmage. What you'll want to do is write up what spells you want (shoot for long-duration buffs over everything else; doing damage with Epic spells is made of demi-planes full of fail) and have your DM look them over and either approve them or let you know what needs changing. So much is dependent on "ad hoc" modifiers and straight mother-may-I that there's basically no way to use Epic spellcasting without direct DM involvement, unless you want to stick with the crap spells in the book.

First, though, ask your DM if the Arcane Mastery SDA "can invent spells without research" power applies to Epic level and/or 10th level and up spells. If he says yes to either (the latter basically doesn't work in Faerun unless something seriously fucked up has happened to the Weave and Mystra), then don't worry about it. Take that and just make whatever you need up on the spot for free. Seriously, Arcane Mastery is right behind Alter Reality for most broken SDA printed. Where Alter Reality gives you unlimited casting off of any list, Arcane Mastery gives you anything you can con the DM into allowing you to do. Need a locate bob the treacherous wizard while bypassing nondetection and mind blank spell? You can do that.

Combine it with the Spontaneous Wizard Spells and Divine Spellcasting SDAs and you have spontaneous casting of anything, so long as the DM allows it.

Oh, and I recommend asking your DM about the demilich issue. If their magic immunity doesn't affect their own spells (RAI it shouldn't, but RAW it does), then go that route if you can, because you're basically unkillable at that point.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Sachiru

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
Cool.

Very, very, very cool.

How about Mythals? Specifically, a portable version of the mythal, centered on myself? Even more specifically, this mythal?

Could an epic spell version of it be done?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
just so you understand .... heres a little clarification:

Quote from: SRD
ARCANE MASTERY
Prerequisites: Spellcaster level 1st, Int 29, Spell Mastery.

Benefit: The deity can prepare any wizard spell that it can cast without using a spellbook.

Notes: This ability gives the deity access to every spell on the sorcerer/wizard spell list, provided that the deity has sufficient wizard levels and a sufficient Intelligence score to cast them. The deity also can invent new sorcerer/wizard spells without researching them.

Suggested Portfolio Elements: Knowledge, magic.

EPIC Spells are not on the Sorceror/Wizard Spell list  nor are they Sorceror/Wizard Spells, they are EPIC spells, they are not Arcane or Divine, but are spells developed from the seeds of true magic thus something far stronger

thus Arcane Mastery will not give them to you nor will it allow you to get them for free .... unless you are able to trick your DM into allowing it, if so... go for the gusto and take it for all its worth