Author Topic: Building a God  (Read 15534 times)

Sachiru

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Building a God
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:55 AM »
The Conditions: Level 50 character, Divine Rank 6, 50-point buy, can buy up to 22 in a single stat, 50 million GP, all WotC books open (with certain restrictions, I.E. Alter Reality is banned. Ilithid Savant and Epic Ilithid Savant is banned).
Must be a spellcaster. Must Have Epic Vow Of Poverty. Must have epic feats.

The Challenge: What would be the ideal build? We'd be faced with Atropals, monsters with 2700 hp etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:10:33 PM by Sachiru »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Building a God
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 02:52:53 AM »
At this point the question is how hog wild you can go with making epic spells.

Everything else is ultimately secondary.

So what theme do you want?  Flaming skulls?  Giant robots?  Killer octopi? 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:45:35 AM »
Yeah, there is just so much you can do with this.  First you have to decide i fyou want any of the Salient powers that require 20 levels in a base class.  If you do, that covers the first 20 levels.  A fun example is Divine Bard.  Bardic music has its effects doubled, mix with words of creation and you get 3x the normal effect and it works on mind immune things.  Personally though I dont like many of the 20 level powers.

Divine Spellcasting is a must along with automatic metamagic if you are a heavy caster.  I also always liked Gift of Life.  If your profolio includes underworld, you get complete control over what can be resurrected.  Only deities with higher rank can over rule you.

After you got a few powers picked out then you have to decide if you are going to be a weird race.  Illithaid might be tempting with alot of levels in Illithaid savant (there is a mind flayer dragon in dragon mag somewhere, very funny).  Black ether guant, sharn, phaerum, or some other spell casting race would also be possible.

Next if there is any standard builds you want to take to the extreme, anything is really possible.  I would go as far to say at this point the actual levels you take is more RP because you will be rediculously powerful regardless.

I personally might be tempted to go with (using your requirements):

Cleric 1/Beguiler 4/Dweomerkeeper 10/Eldrich Master 12 (dragon 280)/ Dweomerkeeper 6/Sevenfold Veil 7/Archmage 5/Heirophant 5

Eldrich Master is from dragon 280 and adds:

Bonus metamagic feat per 3 levels
Spell slot one level higher than you can cast per 3 levels
Extra Spell list known per 4 levels (Pick Sorc/Cleric/ and one other, as beguiler you know every spell on your list and can cast them spontaneously)
At level 10, you know when someone speaks your name.

Feats
Extend Spell
Craft Scroll (B)
Persistent Spell
Quicken Spell
Twin Spell
Maximize Spell
Alternative Sourced Spell
Practiced Spell caster
Arcane Thesis Miracle
Arcane Thesis Orb of Force
Still Spell
Silent Spell
Eschew materials

Epic Feats
Improved Metamagic 2x
Multispell
Ignore Materials
Enhance Spell 4x

Salient Powers
Divine Spell casting
Automatic Metamagic Persistent Spell
Gift of Life

Buff yourself with every spell in exsistance you want.  You get 7 spells a day you can cast as supernatural powers that cannot be disjunctioned.  Use that on Persistent/extended spells for 48 hour coverage with up to 14 spells.  Alternative sourced spell lets you convert arcane to divine so you can get into Heirophant.  You can pick up another 5 metamagic feats or boost your caster level by another +5.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:57:56 AM »
Consider looking up all the classes with arcane spellcaster levels, grab one level of spellthief, and some of sublime chord, some of Ultimate magus, and get master spellthief. You might only be casting as a 30th level wizard. But you'd have a caster level somewhere in the billions. Then you just need to get Blasphemy and/or Holy word into that spell list and you sorta win DnD.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Sachiru

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:01:32 AM »
I like your idea, Mixster, but how exactly does it work?

Although I would like it if the following were worked into the build.

a) Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, Complete Arcane page 44.
b) Battle Dancer, Dragon Magazine Compedium
c) Any material from the Tome of Battle
d) Binders, from Tome of Magic page 9
e) Epic Binders, from http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.a...drfe/20080407a
f) Epic Destinies, from http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.a.../drfe/20080428
g) Material from the Epic Insights compilation, http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/EICompiled.zip
h) The lesser tiefling (Player's Guide to Faerun), lesser aasimar (Player's Guide to Faerun), hellbred (Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells), and kalashtar (Eberron Campaign Setting) races.
i) Silthilar grafts from Lords of Madness.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:23:42 AM by Sachiru »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:17:13 AM »
Unseelie Fey Divine Minion Ghost4 magic-blooded lesser celadrin (Dragon 350 Planetouched Race) who takes the otherworldly feat to be a nonliving outsider and then divine minion to pick up the evil and lawful alignment subtypes, and then unseelie fey for winter's chill.

Dread Necromancer 1\Rainbow Servant 10\Prestige Paladin 3\ Battle dancer 1\Hexblade 3\Master of the Unseen hand 5\IotSV 7 \Binder + Anima mage for the last 20.

Pick an epic destiny, it doesn't really matter which

Obvious Feats:
  Battle blessing
  Sword of the Arcane Order
  Eldritch Corruption
  Tomb-tainted soul
  Epic spellcasting

Cha to AC twice, cha to saves twice, -cha to saves of enemies next to you, cast all wizard and cleric spells as swift actions (and occasionally as immediate actions), telekinetic badassitude, and you can always spend feats/items for manuevers (or cut out a level and dip something right at the end)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:45:21 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:42:53 AM »
try this:

Hellbred

Warblade 2/ Crusader 2/ Favored Soul 2/ Sorceror 2/ Mystic theurge 10/ Sacred Exorcist 5/ Radient Servant of Pelor 10/ Master of Radience 5/ Archmage 5/ Initiate of the Seven Viels 7

Salient Abilities:
Divine Radience
Divine Spellcasting
Divine Fast healing
Divine Dodge

base Spellcasting levels:
30 Divine
25 Arcane

Base Martial Initiator levels:
26 Warblade
26 Crusader

:D

Sachiru

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »
Wow, so many new ideas, so little time.

Also, a few minor revisions. Initiate is out, and Incantatrix is in. Also, if you can find something better than sorcerer/binder, feel free (since at epic level wizards are essentially spontaneous casters due to www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#spontaneousWizardSpells.

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »
You might want to have a look at my character sheet on this page. If you DM is allowing Illithid Savant then take it. Nothing else is as powerful at that level. If you can't use Illithid Savant then my character still aspects that you can incorporate into your character build. Keep in mind that it's built with the Dicefreaks deity rules.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872858/The_Iron_Siege?pg=196

One last thought, if you can use the ToM you should max out Truenaming and learn the spell Truename Dispel. It requires some preparation to learn the opponent's personal truename but once you know their truename the spell becomes the best dispel in the game.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:44:37 PM by Daniel678 »

Sachiru

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »
You might want to have a look at my character sheet on this page. If you DM is allowing Illithid Savant then take it. Nothing else is as powerful at that level. If you can't use Illithid Savant then my character still aspects that you can incorporate into your character build. Keep in mind that it's built with the Dicefreaks deity rules.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872858/The_Iron_Siege?pg=196

One last thought, if you can use the ToM you should max out Truenaming and learn the spell Truename Dispel. It requires some preparation to learn the opponent's personal truename but once you know their truename the spell becomes the best dispel in the game.

That... is some great, great, funsauce god build. Would you mind me ripping it off? Also, what books did you use, all in all? Also, what can you recommend for me to modify to adapt your build to my requirements?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:06:29 PM by Sachiru »

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
If you are going to actually play a mind flayer instead of just polymorphing into one, the Brainstealer dragon is in dragon magazine #337.  It actually works out to a lower ECL than a typical mind flayer.  Also I would suggest picking up at least one level in thrallherd.  This will give you slaves which you can always eat to pick up abilities starting if you DM needs you describe how you got them starting.

Key creature to eat is a PC with Legacy Champion levels from Weapons of Legacy.  That PrC has the class ability to advance the abilities of another class by up to 8 levels.  Sac one slot of class ability eating to get 8 more levels in savant, thrallherd, or whatever else you are interested in.  The Body Tamer class from the underdark book is also very good if you only have to sink a few levels into it.  The idea of course here is to pick out several class you like and advance them all to level 10 just from eating the legacy champion, while maintaining your savant level high enough also with the legacy champion.  DM only lets you find one Legacy Champion, no problem.  You got plenty of cash for True Res scrolls; eat, raise, and repeat.  Going this route you could even advance the dragon through further age categories if you desired to.  Worse case scenerio, you might have to take 10 levels of legacy champion yourself, fire off a similacrum, and it yourself.

There is also an uber mind flayer in the Lords of Madness book if you perfer a humanoid type (ECL 21 I think).

The half-farspawn template can also be very very useful for this build.  It gives you extra tenacles.  Notice the mind flayer has to land 4 tenacles to eat the targets brain.  Having a few extra to make sure the target gets 4 is great.  The epic grappler feat grants a nice grapple bonus as well.  There might even be a marshall aura that adds to grapple (I am without books).

Something else that is funny is telepathy and Mindsight from lords of madness.  Divine ranks extends you abilities of perception out to 1 mile per divine rank if I remeber correctly.  Mixed with Mindsight, you will know the intellegence and type of every creature within a 6 mile radius of you.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
rather than have you specify Classes ... why not just say what kind of character are you looking for .... what is the goals of this character

also, are there any other members of your Party?
are Followers allowed?
how much are you allowed to make yourself thru item Crafting(Craft Ring, Craft Wand, Craft Staff, etc...)

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 02:34:35 PM »
I used quite a few books. Not all of these were actually used but I looked through all of the completes, the BoED &BoVD, ELH, XPH, fiend folio, frostburn, sandstorm, stormwrack, libris morthis, manual of the planes, all of the monster manuals, the planar handbook, the spell compendium, the player's guide to Faerun, and a lot of others.

A few suggestions for modifying the build are: drop Natural Cunning, Carapace, Repel Missiles, abomination traits, virtual class features (if your DM won't allow it), implacable hunt, faultless hunt, and seen it before from my build since you can't take as many monster abilities or class features. Also, make sure to check what is allowed and drop anything that is not allowed before you do anything else.

If you look through the last 10 or so pages of that thread you should see a lot of different things where were rejected (cough Alaex cough). You may want to see if your DM would allow them.

This build is spellcaster and includes class features from incantrix and archmage. You really can add anything to this build, just drop something that won't be as helpful.

Another recommendation is that a lot of things are not that good at this level of epic play. Anything that can be replicated by a spell or adds a flat value to a statistic just isn't worth getting.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
SDA Alter Reality is probably unnecessary, between a well chosen Domain set-up,
and any helpers you have in the backstory / gawd's metropolis.

I wonder how high the Spell Levels can get?
LoP or maybe psly4mne had a Node Mini Loop that got Spells of level 160+ , by class level 20.
I'd bet (guestimating) that deities can get lots higher.

Craft Artifact could have a few tricks useful.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
Arcane Mastery is required. You don't even want it for the ability to cast every sorcerer/wizard spell ever, because it gives you an even better power: the ability to invent spells without research. Even without getting into silly DM-fiat territory, you can now cast any spell ever printed, no matter how obscure or what list it's from by inventing a wizard version of it.

Now, take Spontaneous Wizard Spells, so that you can spontaneously cast any spell you know (which is all of them). Follow that up with Divine Spellcasting, so that you can have higher-level slots (can you re-invent 10th+ level spells?), and then finally take Instant Counterspell (use your SLAs to counter if you can).

You are now the ultimate spellcaster. Start inventing epic spells and go to town.

Also, ask if the demilich's magic immunity applies to it's own spells. RAW it does, which blows and makes demiliches basically unplayable. If your DM says it doesn't, be a demilich (LA +8, on top of the +4 for being a Lich). This renders you immune to pretty much everything except physical damage, and with the right buffs you can ignore that as well.

That still leaves you with 38 levels to play with. If you wanted to go the illithid route, alhoons can become demiliches, although you wind up with a lot of wasted levels (+7 LA for illithid plus 8 HD). You can still squeeze in 23 class levels, which is enough to grab full wizard spellcasting and then some. If your DM is using the psionic illithid, you get 9 free levels of telepath manifesting, so go ahead and take cerebremancer at some point to boost that. It's basically free anyway, so more win for you.

For Epic feats, Epic Spellcasting is a must so that you get epic spell slots. You get Automatic Quicken Spell I as a bonus feat from demilich, so take it twice more, and then stock up on Multispell. Being able to spam 3+ spells per round, each of which can be whatever you want it to be, is pretty solid.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Sachiru

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 02:00:37 AM »
rather than have you specify Classes ... why not just say what kind of character are you looking for .... what is the goals of this character

also, are there any other members of your Party?
are Followers allowed?
how much are you allowed to make yourself thru item Crafting(Craft Ring, Craft Wand, Craft Staff, etc...)

Thrallherd would be allowed, I presume, since it's in the SRD.

Basically, I want a deity who's able to kill a creature with 100 HD, 100 in all ability scores, and immunity to almost everything (think upgraded atropal).

I see you're also the one who contributed with daniel on the ilithid savant on the other forums. Could I beg for a version of it that follows the requirements (CL 50, 50 million GP, SRD material auto-allowed, wotc books almost always allowed)? No classes are necessary, just tell me what works best.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:30:57 AM by Sachiru »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 04:54:13 AM »
Is this thread a joke? Further is every post made so far a joke?

Alter Reality > nonepic spellcasting.
Some one tried saying skip it. Umm... f**k that.

A. AR grants intimidate and unlimited maximum nonepic spellcasting of all classes combined. Any 9th level spell from any class. No limits.
B. AR lets you apply metamagic effects after a spell is cast for free.
C. AR tops B by letting to apply permanency even if you shouldn't or can't.
D. Finally AR is a flat out noted as an uncorrupted version of Wish's create any Magic Item ever.

Bard 1 / w/e 9 / Sublime Cord 13 + Alter Reality = thread over.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Sachiru

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 05:15:41 AM »

Alter Reality > nonepic spellcasting.
Some one tried saying skip it. Umm... f**k that.

A. AR grants intimidate and unlimited maximum nonepic spellcasting of all classes combined. Any 9th level spell from any class. No limits.
B. AR lets you apply metamagic effects after a spell is cast for free.
C. AR tops B by letting to apply permanency even if you shouldn't or can't.
D. Finally AR is a flat out noted as an uncorrupted version of Wish's create any Magic Item ever.

Bard 1 / w/e 9 / Sublime Cord 13 + Alter Reality = thread over.

Alter reality is BANNED. Otherwise, I wouldn't need to ask and I'd make it a requirement.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 06:29:53 AM »
Is that post a joke?  Further, is every post you made so far a joke?

I mean, seriously, man, read the first sentence of the topic before replying.
Planetouched Handbook

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »
Failed my spot check.

OR heck maybe I did read it and
SDA Alter Reality is probably unnecessary, between a well chosen Domain set-up, and any helpers you have in the backstory / gawd's metropolis.
Reset what I recalled.

Anyway, try something crazy like Spelltheif 1 / Bard 1 / W/E 7 / Ur Preist 1 / Sublime Chord 1 / Mystic Theurge 1 / Iot7FV 7 / Archmagi 1 / Legacy Champion 30
Any clue on it's caster level?  :D
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]