Author Topic: Help building a gestalt Factotum//Artificer (pure, on both sides).  (Read 6817 times)

Sachiru

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Help building a gestalt Factotum//Artificer (pure, on both sides).
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Story: D&D PCs transported somehow into modern earth setting.

Character Creation Guidelines:

[spoiler]1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
D&D 3.5.
2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
As per request, will have many fantasy elements, but will be set mostly in modern earth.
3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
4-5
4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
These forums!
5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Level 10, gestalt.
6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
49,000 GP. Remember that after you get to modern earth, things might not be worth as much as you think...
7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Any WotC material will do. Homebrewed classes are fine, but you have to give me the link and I can't guarantee I will approve them all. We will be using Oslecamo's Monster Class Thread and there should be at least one, maybe more monsters among you.
8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Core or Monster Class is preferred, though you can ask me about others. LA buyoff is NOT allowed, I would prefer you to satisfy your monster longing with a monster class.
9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
Despite being level 10, you are all fairly elite. 36 point buy. Max HP at first level, at every level after you can roll or take average.
10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Yes, alignment will be used, but don't let it define who you are. Especially in modern day earth where good/evil/lawful/chaotic are more blurred. No alignment restrictions on classes. You can still be effected by spells targeting specific alignments.
11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Multiclassing is fine, no penalty.
12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
We will be using the forum dice roller.
13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
Feel free to prestige both sides of the gestalt. However, if you heavily optimize, it will come back and bite you. Anything which is too munchkin-like will be vetoed by me.
14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Background is required. You do not have to be an excellent writer, but it should make sense. Should explain how characters met each other (feel free to leave that out until player decisions are finalized). Make sure your character has a real personality that is either individually described, or worked clearly into your backstory.
15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
It should be a nice mix. There will not be a heavy load of conventional puzzle solving, per se, but using your head instead of your rulebook is a good way to make me happy. I'm fine with you circumventing something I planned to be difficult, but only if you figured a smart way out of it or thought about it in a different way, or something like that.
16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Anything WotC, though please try to keep track of where it's from. Dragon Magazine materials MAY be allowed, but only if it is clearly stated what they do. Homebrew is also fine, but again, you have to check with me first.[/spoiler]

Concept: Gestalted Factotum//Artificer, focused on crafting wands for combat (ab)use. I'm planning to have him craft wands for ray spells, then use them like guns, flinging spells left right and center via Cunning Surge. Help on how to build it, please?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: Help building a gestalt Factotum//Artificer (pure, on both sides).
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:20 PM »
Standard advice for Wand-slingers:

Etch Schema as your 12th level feat. (MoE).
Extend Spell, Persistent Spell and Wand Surge before level 12.
Remember that you can take Metamagic Feats as your Artificer bonus feats, not only cost-reducers.

Etch a schema containing Unfettered Heroism. (RoE).

Use Metamagic Infusion to apply Persistent to your Schema.

Use it.

Now you gain an action point per round, which you can use to activate wands instead of charges.

Also, the Orb of X-line of spells are better than the rays, IMHO.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Sachiru

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
Ah, starting level is 10. Taking schema if we reach 12, though.

What feats reduce crafting cost?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan, reduce GP and XP with 25% respectively.

Doesn't stack, but interact with each other.

That is, you usually calculate the XP cost from the base GP price.
If you have Extraordinary Artisan, you will need 25% less gold to craft it, but you calculate your needed XP from the base price.

Also, Wand Mastery is a good feat. Increasing your Wands CL with 2 usually costs a lot of money if you're crafting them.
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Sachiru

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Cool. Which spells are good to wand, at this level? Also, know of any tricks to reduce crafting times even more? Any advice as well for new artificers?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0

I'm partial to the Orb of Force myself.
Very little have immunity/resistance to force effects, it ignores SR, it penetrates AMF's, it's a ranged touch.

I suppose you could use a Wand of Enervation also, even though I personally dislike spamming negative levels.

Wands generally have crappy DC for their spells, hence why I'm hesitant to use spells that rely upon saves.

Also, consider if you would like to have Empower/Maximize spell. With metamagic infusion, your Wand can do some serious damage with either of these.
It's an alternative/compliment to the Persistent UH, since you might want to have fun stuff NOW and not in two levels.

Of course, depending on race and how many Fonts of Inspiration you want, you're bound to get Feat-strapped sooner or later.
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »
Guys this is a modern earth setting....

the biggest things you are likely to come up against are mostly...

1. Jet fighters at range
2. Infantry at range
3. Tanks at range.

Thus, the character needs to focus more on EXTREME AMOUNTS OF RANGE and fighting something that has cover and concealment rather than "cast something where you dont have to worry about SR or saves", because modern armies use different things to defend -- cover, concealment, fighting from OUT of line of sight (and therefore, line of effect...), extreme range, etc.

He's going to need a way to attack from when he has visual contact with something, either with the D&D methods of scrying or a construct that he can see through, or the real world methods of a video feed or a drone or a spotter, and the LOWEST range spell he should be fighting with should probably be "long" range (400 feet + 40/level, which should give him roughly the range envelope of AVERAGE infantry engagement range, but probably doesn't give him the range of a Designated Marksman, and DEFINITELY not the range of a Sniper, and VERY MUCH not the range of a Tank, Armored Fighting Vehicle, or Jet.

So yea, he'll need that metamagic that increases range..

And remember, in this world, most extremely skilled people are probably, at most, Expert 4's.
BG's other resident furry!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
Be sure to craft items that boost your mobility and survivability, things which modern earth does less well than magic. A few scrolls of teleport will keep earths governments from messing with you, also make a hat of disguise as soon as possible. Also invisibility will be awesome in that kind of setting.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
Gavinfoxx brings up a good point. If you''re going to be fighting against armies or the like, you''d better ask your DM about specifics. One thing that came to mind at first glance was Greater Invisibility will win against anyone who doesn't do magic (everyone); but what about infrared thermal goggles?

Ridiculous idea, but I'd rule that you can be seen; you're still there, just invisible to the naked eye. I'm sure there are more similar questions to be asked.

EDIT: Orbs of Sound + Creaking Cacaphony give you the best bang for your buck, unless you plan on Maximizing all your Orbs. Then they''re even...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 04:38:41 PM by emaNsdrawkcaB »

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:20:08 PM »
You know, it would be nice if we could have some D20 stats for an M1A2 Abrams that actually take into account the real capabilities of the thing... then we could come up with something...

Its range looks like, uh, 8,200 feet.  An Enlarged Long Range spell at caster level 9 has a range of... *checks* maybe ~1500 feet, if my math is right?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:24:10 PM by Gavinfoxx »

Sachiru

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 12:48:13 AM »
Good points, all.

How about disguise and wand-ed AoE spells? Preferably with the wands miniaturized, and triggered (a la smart remote-triggered booby-trapped time bombs)? Is that feasible?

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 12:54:18 AM »
Well... let's put it this way.  "Blasting" can be easily done with technology.  What sorts of affects CAN NOT be done with technology, then? Focus on those...

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 01:08:13 AM »
Summoning demons to do your bidding could be a useful use of your time. Having a chain devil teleport into an enemy tank could help. Make a schema of Suspension (Shining south I think, or unaporchable east) for interesting mobility options.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 01:59:52 AM »
Haunt shift undead under your control into vehicles + buffs = ???
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »
Get a zombie version of General John J. Pershing under your control.  Due to his rank, literally every other US Military member is under his command.  Voila, no need to deal with today's armies.

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
Get a zombie version of General John J. Pershing under your control.  Due to his rank, literally every other US Military member is under his command.  Voila, no need to deal with today's armies.

Or a great bluff check makes YOU Gen. Pershing.

Also, speaking of Artificer, you know what race make good Artificers? Warforged! Iron Man anyone!?! Give him a wand sheathes, and stick Wands of Orb of Force in there.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
Screw that, resurrect everyone big enough to be on currency.

You could probably start a huge controversy with Lincoln, since he died in office, so he technically has a portion of his term left unused?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
I was going to say something about Hitler, but then I though it bad form...  So instead.. Imagine all the evil people you could bring back to do bad things to / have punished for war crimes, and then to kill again, just for kicks. 

emaNsdrawkcaB

• Unicorn Power!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
I was going to say something about Hitler, but then I though it bad form...  So instead.. Imagine all the evil people you could bring back to do bad things to / have punished for war crimes, and then to kill again, just for kicks. 

Apparently Hitler jokes are okay now, and hilarious.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »
Hrm well if you charged people to reenact their fantasies against Hitler (ala Inglorious Bastards, for example), would you be considered to be profiting off of the genocide?

Man, moral dilemmas...  Fuck that.  I'm going back to medieval Europe.