Author Topic: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition  (Read 140227 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition
« Reply #860 on: September 30, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »
A315: PHB II has a limited Rapid Metamagic effect each day.  Races of the Dragon has a sub-level for Dragonblood sorcerers that lets them get Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat.

That said, I strongly recommend picking up a familiar via Obtain Familiar and then giving it Improved Familiar.  Some variety of earth-subtyped Mephit makes for a spectacular companion for a Gish.  Yes, why just have one full volley of Power-Attacking Wraithstrikes when you can have TWO!?

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #861 on: September 30, 2010, 06:38:40 AM »
Another potentially useful one would be Blood of Siberys DR 351 pg 79.

Lose familiar to consider your Cha to be 4 points higher to determine bonus Sorc spells and max Sorc spell casting. [feel free to have lower Cha after this, since it effectively grants at least 2 higher level bonus slots to you.] Also, add Diplo and Know(planes) to your skill list. Might be nice to have a choice other than bluff for once, huh?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #862 on: September 30, 2010, 06:44:44 AM »
Q313: Can someone explain or post a link as to how Celerity duels work?

That is to say, repeated castings of celerity on two sides?
I'm piecing this together as I go along.  In order to cast multiple celerities, one would need multiple swift/immediate actions, correct?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #863 on: September 30, 2010, 06:53:21 AM »
Q315 Supposedly a sorcerer can trade in his Familiar for other class features or bonusses. Can anyone tell me in which books I can find this? I play a Gish who doesn't have or want a familiar. Trading it in will net me at least something.

Divine Companion (Complete Champion) has great potential for a gish.  You lose your familiar but gain the ability to convert spell slots into a pool of points that you can spend to give yourself a bonus to AC and saves up to your caster level for a number of rounds equal to your caster level as a swift action.  

Q313: Can someone explain or post a link as to how Celerity duels work?

That is to say, repeated castings of celerity on two sides?
I'm piecing this together as I go along.  In order to cast multiple celerities, one would need multiple swift/immediate actions, correct?

Your second casting of celerity occurs before your first.  At that point in time, you haven't yet used an immediate action, so you should be able to cast celerity.  After you resolve the second casting, you come to the first, find you don't have the ability to take an immediate action, and that casting doesn't happen.  At least, that's as much sense as I can make of it.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:11:39 AM by Maat_Mons »

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #864 on: September 30, 2010, 07:48:03 AM »
Q220: Psionic Independent Research... when you research a power, does that power count against one of your known powers by class, or is it separate?
A220
you are Researching it in place of the power you would normally learn ..... thus it counts against your Known powers by Class

:D

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #865 on: September 30, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »
Right, Going of on the "maybe I'll take an (improved) familiar anyway" tangent:

Q316: Does a familiar get the CHA bonus to savingtrows if the master has 2 levels of Paladin. The wording in PHB can be interpreted either way:

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #866 on: September 30, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »
Q 311 So I was looking at CAdv's Embrace the Wild (2nd lvl druid, gain senses of animal whose HD <= your CL for 10 min/lvl). And then I looked at the animal list in the Monster Manual. Is there any reason not to choose Porpoise 2HD (MM 279)? (Blindsight 120 ft) I think that logically the blindsight only works while in water, but I don't see any specifics mentioning this...

Q 311b Any better animal forms whose HD doesn't exceed 4? (or just good animals to pick, in general?)
This spell was updated (nerfed) in Spell Compendium.
http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/spells.php?ID=5673

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #867 on: September 30, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »
base
save bonus
A 316: No. Divine Grace does not affect a Paladin's base save bonus. Divine Grace is a bonus added on top of base save bonuses. There is no alternative interpretation.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Sjappo

• Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: September 30, 2010, 08:46:28 AM »
base
save bonus
A 316: No. Divine Grace does not affect a Paladin's base save bonus. Divine Grace is a bonus added on top of base save bonuses. There is no alternative interpretation.
Damn. :) Thanx

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #869 on: September 30, 2010, 09:11:35 AM »
base
save bonus
Damn. :) Thanx
No problemo :D
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #870 on: September 30, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »
Q317:The Gem Dragon from Monster Manual 2 are manifesters and not spellcasters right?
Because MM2 is a little confusing......

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #871 on: September 30, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »
Q317:The Gem Dragon from Monster Manual 2 are manifesters and not spellcasters right?
Because MM2 is a little confusing......
A317
that would be correct (on both counts  ;))

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #872 on: September 30, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
Q 318
Do anyone have a complete map of the tomb of horrors for free? Planning on converting it to a runequest campaign.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #873 on: September 30, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
Q 318
Do anyone have a complete map of the tomb of horrors for free? Planning on converting it to a runequest campaign.
A318
do you mean this?
(not sure if this the whole thing, though)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #874 on: September 30, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
Q319:Is there any third party books or rules that are dealing with Epic/Deity rules?
We may play an epic campaign and wizards books are not very respected for that purpose....
I only know about the Immortals Handbook is there any others?

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #875 on: September 30, 2010, 02:34:29 PM »
Q320: Are there rules anywhere for attacking yourself with a weapon you are holding?  Such as hitting yourself with a Tiny Arrow of Spell Storing?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: September 30, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
q 321. i need an idea for a 10 hd effigy.
something with high dex or nat ac would be nice, i was thinking a particularly high nat ac dragon or some agile little critter. or something that has a shitload of strength for it's hd, idk, i just want something with serious physical power for its hd.

input appriciated  :D
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Hitoshura

« Reply #877 on: September 30, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »
Q.324. I'm a Hengeyokai

Warblade 4, Warshaper 3, Shapeshifter 1, Master of Many Forms 10, Warshaper +2, Warblade +5

What's a good progression for that? Just keep advancing Warblade? (I've mastered White Raven and Diamond Mind, obviously got Ironheart Surge)... No deepwarden (dont wanna get stoneblessed levels), and i must avoid multiclass, since exp penaltys are at play.

I could also really use some forms suggestions... So far just Glooms, Ha-Nagas and Redcaps come to mind

Edit: forgot the number...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:59:38 PM by Hitoshura »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #878 on: September 30, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »
Bump and one more
Q 310 Is there any information on amber dragons somewhere? Stats, location, etc.

Q 323 Where can I find the write up on Glornoth the Maleficent? I read of him in Weapons of Legacy, but would like his actual stats.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #879 on: September 30, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »
Q320: Are there rules anywhere for attacking yourself with a weapon you are holding?  Such as hitting yourself with a Tiny Arrow of Spell Storing?

Q325: And another question, need a way to shoot someone and have a good chance of hitting.  Maybe shooting against flat-footed?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.