Author Topic: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition  (Read 140212 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Simple Q&A #17 -- the "your mama's so ___ ... " edition
« Reply #820 on: September 29, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »
Q 303: Do items placed in extra dimensional holding spaces go on hold for purposes of spell duration?  The end goal is Smiting Spell on a bunch of Fire Shuriken, and then whip them around with TK when needed for lots of carnage.
A 303

I don't think so. Put them in a batch of Quintessence instead, or does that break LoE?

Not sure.  The idea is replication of the Psionic power Dissolving Weapon, precast on the Fire Shuriken that are metamagicked up the yin-yang, and then TK carpet bomb them when something needs to REALLY DIE.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #821 on: September 29, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
Q304:  This probably has come up before...  So I have to give up my attacks to use a Tower Shield as total cover.  Do I have to give up all my actions to do this as well?  Could I use non-attack SLAs, for example?  Under attacks, I only see a few things listed, which does not include spells.  Could I cast a Stilled whatever damage spell from behind the Tower Shield?  

ie

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #822 on: September 29, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »
Q304:  This probably has come up before...  So I have to give up my attacks to use a Tower Shield as total cover.  Do I have to give up all my actions to do this as well?  Could I use non-attack SLAs, for example?  Under attacks, I only see a few things listed, which does not include spells.  Could I cast a Stilled whatever damage spell from behind the Tower Shield? 

ie
I read it as not making attacks, as per the attack action specified in the PHB. You could utilize any spell-like abilities or the like that didn't require being out from behind the shield (ie, aiming around the shield).
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: September 29, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
Q305
Can the same Energy Admixture feat be applied to one spell more than once, or would I need more than one?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #824 on: September 29, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »
q 299. where is the polymorphing handbook?

q 300a. what is the earliest level a planar shepard can wildshape into something like a balor.
 q300b. what are some suggested planes/creatures for a druid5/planarshepard7 to wildshape into. looking for a melee combatant... heavy hitter etc...

bump.
 advice appriciated   :D
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #825 on: September 29, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
Q305
Can the same Energy Admixture feat be applied to one spell more than once, or would I need more than one?
A 305: I think you can't apply the same meta magic feat to one spell twice.

However, considering this line from the Energy Admixture feat:
"
You can use Energy Admixture
to further alter a spell that has already been modified with
Energy Substitution, and you can also admix your chosen
energy type with a spell that already uses the same type, in
effect doubling its normal damage dice.
"

... I don't think using Energy Admixture (Fire) twice on a 10th CL Fireball spell to get 30d6 fire damage would be out of the spirit/intention of the feat or overpowered. Or using Energy Admixture (Acid) twice on a Fireball to get 10d6 fire damage and 20d6 acid damage, for that matter.

I would only consider using Energy Admixture twice on the same spell if I was strapped for feats and couldn't also take Empower, Twin, Repeat, and/or Maximize Spell. That's because repeated multiplication generally gives a bigger damage number than repeated addition.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #826 on: September 29, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
q 299. where is the polymorphing handbook?

q 300a. what is the earliest level a planar shepard can wildshape into something like a balor.
 q300b. what are some suggested planes/creatures for a druid5/planarshepard7 to wildshape into. looking for a melee combatant... heavy hitter etc...

bump.
 advice appriciated   :D
A300A Lvl 16 with a Wildshape Amulet (MoF). I think there's another item that raises it by 2 instead of 4, don't know if they would stack, can't remember where it's from.
A 300B
Since you can wild shape into a magical beast that is a magical beast as the result of a template, the shadow creature template from Lords of Madness applied to the normal ass-kickers of your HD (In this case, a Dire Bear) results in lots of fun. Strictly RAW, the magical beast Wild Shape is useless, as there are ...what, 3 magical beasts even mentioned among the planar inhabitants in the ECS? Anarchic, Axiomatic and possibly something else.  If you're the DM, or your DM is fine with reasonable interpretations instead of RAW, then Mabar provides some nice power options without being stupidly broken (time traits are dumb as fuck, don't use them unless you hate your DM/players/game). Nightbringer Initiate adds Enervation to your list and your Planar Bubble will maximize that if you choose Mabar, as well as allowing use of the Shadow Creature template for magical beasts.

Otherwise, choose Lammania for access to all magical beasts as written in it's description, despite it's list of inhabitants lacking any magical beasts at all. The Phrenic, Insectile, Monstrous Beast, Multiheaded, Winged, Celestial, Fiendish, Anarchic, Axiomatic (and I'm sure I'm missing a few) all turn animals and vermin into Magical Beasts. There are very few vermin worth using, but the usual animal forms can gain a lot from the templates. Usually spell resistance, sometimes other neat stuff (1.5x movement speed with the Shadow template).

Oh, and the Roper should be called the Raper. That is all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:01:40 PM by BruceLeeroy »

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #827 on: September 29, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
Q301:Is there a list somewhere with non-unique creatures that have innate 9th level spellcasting?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #828 on: September 29, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »
Q301:Is there a list somewhere with non-unique creatures that have innate 9th level spellcasting?
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5514.0
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #829 on: September 29, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
Q306: Can anyone share a list of PrCs/feats/etc. for me to expand a Sublime Chord/Bard's spell list, potentially without sacrificing spells known (or by allowing a Bard to gain a spellbook somehow)?

EDIT: Bard in question is human, male, 25 and lives in Brazil.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:33:25 PM by Kuroimaken »
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #830 on: September 29, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
Q302. I'm making an arcane spellcaster who is also a ghost.  Should I make him a Wizard (for the insane flexibility) or a Sorcerer (for the high Charisma synergy with AC, ghost abilities, etc)?
I'd go with a Sorcerer (and the major NPC in my current campaign is one).  Eschew Materials feat and not having a spellbook to tie you down helps.  Check out the feats Ghostly Grasp, Quickened Manifestation and Lifesense in Libris Mortis.

Q303 So the medium level (about 10) PCs are trapped in a world of constant AMF. Barring cheesy ways of somehow using Spells, Spell-like abilities, or Supernatural abilities... how do you:
a) Defeat incorporeal undead [all enemies are immune to the AMF effect]
b) Heal yourself quickly
Check out the equipment section on CrystalKeep.com for alchemical stuff:  http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Equipment.pdf

Libris Mortis has a Ghost Oil thingie too.  Can use them to help deliver Positoxins from BoED.

I'm having a hard time finding it... but I know one of the Forgotten Realms books has an alchemical version of a Cure Light Wounds potion.  (Waterdeep book maybe?)

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #831 on: September 29, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »
Q302. I'm making an arcane spellcaster who is also a ghost.  Should I make him a Wizard (for the insane flexibility) or a Sorcerer (for the high Charisma synergy with AC, ghost abilities, etc)?
Sorcerer. Never play a casting ghost that needs a stat other than CHA. I know this from Experience.

Q303 So the medium level (about 10) PCs are trapped in a world of constant AMF. Barring cheesy ways of somehow using Spells, Spell-like abilities, or Supernatural abilities... how do you:
You know AMF needs LoE.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #832 on: September 29, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
Ghost also needs a few dips for cha synergy like battle dancer 1, and that sort of thing.  Divine ward, maybe.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

genuine

• Email
« Reply #833 on: September 29, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Q307: "Fear effects are cumulative." A shaken character who fails a save v. fear becomes frightened, etc. Does this simply mean that the condition progresses (i.e. penalty, then penalty + running), or does the penalty stack? i.e. if a creature is shaken (-2 to a bunch of stuff) and is then made frightened, does it have a -4 penalty in addition to running away, or does it just have the -2?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #834 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
Q307: "Fear effects are cumulative." A shaken character who fails a save v. fear becomes frightened, etc. Does this simply mean that the condition progresses (i.e. penalty, then penalty + running), or does the penalty stack? i.e. if a creature is shaken (-2 to a bunch of stuff) and is then made frightened, does it have a -4 penalty in addition to running away, or does it just have the -2?

Because fear usually gives a morale penalty, and bonuses/penalties of the same kind do not generally stack, no.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #835 on: September 29, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »

Because fear usually gives a morale penalty, and bonuses/penalties of the same kind do not generally stack, no.
It's a lot simpler than that.  You can't be more than one of shaken, frightened, or panicked.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #836 on: September 29, 2010, 10:10:59 PM »
q308 Psionic Race with a bonus feat?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #837 on: September 29, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »
Hidden talent would do it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #838 on: September 29, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »
But then you're spending a feat. I want an extra feat while being psionic.

Archao

« Reply #839 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
But then you're spending a feat. I want an extra feat while being psionic.
Athasian Human (Dragon #319 p26) Scaling psionics, +2 to two stats of your choosing, and all standard human abilities (feat and skill points).